Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
It has the base model V8 right?
lol, yeah its a "base model".... I guess that would be too frugal for her. Shoulda bought a ZR1. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
lol, yeah its a "base model".... I guess that would be too frugal for her. Shoulda bought a ZR1. lol.
I drove a ZR1 and it's a splendid car. I would still rather have the Viper ACR but ZR1 is a close second.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM

505 posts, read 940,792 times
Like someone else already said. You dodged a bullet. Thank her for that. Actually, if you ever have that happen again, just say, "oh thanks for letting me know up front that you are a selfish little tramp. It saved me time."

I drove a 1998 chevy c-1500 (base model work truck) when I met my wife in 2001. Guess what? I still drive it every day to work. It's covered in tree sap and the bed is usually littered with leaves and pecans. I've been married for almost 10 years now. I think I managed.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,624 times
Honestly, yes, an Altima is a bland appliance-type car IMO. It's great that you love it, that you put time and effort into it, and that you are proud of it; I applaud you in those aspects. However, my friends consider me a car guy, and I'm not into any car in that segment.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Honestly, yes, an Altima is a bland appliance-type car IMO. It's great that you love it, that you put time and effort into it, and that you are proud of it; I applaud you in those aspects. However, my friends consider me a car guy, and I'm not into any car in that segment.
LOL.

I was going to say, as a car "guy", Married straight male, into cars; I would not date the OP. The Altima is the Camry of Camrys....

Seriously I would have lied and said it was a friends car; she seemed dumb anyway.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:15 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
The Nissan Altima SE-R is no joke. It's a cool sports sedan and so was the Maxima.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can never tell the worth of a person by what they drive. I mentioned this in another thread, here in the Automotive forum where we discuss these kinds of things. An older man I know owns a 67 Mustang, 6o's era VW Beetle, and a early 70's era VW Van. He wears the same clothes all the time it seems. The guy looks like he has no change to rub together. Yet he owns outright over 180 homes and those homes are in Ventura county and LA county in the Pasadena area. A half dozen of his homes overlook the ocean. I know people that would love to take his cars and restore them, as each of those cars can fetch some big bucks if they are done correctly. (You can find early 60's VW's selling in the mid $20K range.) I know a Doctor that always has a Ferrari or Porsch in his garage yet he leases every one of them and trades them in every 2 to 3 years. (Note: The guy with the homes driving the VW's is far wealthy.) Our office coordinator drives a very nice late model 3 series BMW and yet she lives with her mom. You just never know by looking. The only thing I may be able to figure out is how much you spent not how much your worth.
I've known a guy all my life like this - he dresses in sweats, has a bit of a loose screw. Has more money than he'll ever need in his lifetime. Some years back, he walked into the local BMW dealer, baseball cap, sweats and tennis shoes on, looking at a 7 series. Stood around a bit, till a sales guy walked up and asked if he could help him. Says he wants the car and tells him to write up the paperwork. Salesguy stops for a minute, figures there's no way this guy can afford the car, says maybe he wants to look at something a little more practical. Guy gives him the card of his accountant, says call her to get his info. Salesguy calls her, finds out this guy has almost as much money as God and could buy the entire dealership without so much as a blink. Salesguy comes back, looking fairly stupid and offers to write it up. Guy says no, you didn't want to help me earlier and I don't want your help now - go find me someone else. Goes to show, he could look like a bum but still sneeze out Benjamins.

I've had people ask how I can afford my Jeep (Grand Cherokee). There's a reason I tend not to discuss my finances in depth, no one needs to know how much my wife and I actually make.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I could care less what someone drives UNLESS it is something embarrassing that screams "compensating for something", lol - namely those stupid pick up trucks that are on giant tires so high you need a step ladder to get into the cab - I'd feel like I needed a bag over my head to be seen getting in or out of one of those..

Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I bought my 2003 Nissan Altima almost 4 years ago, paid $11k for it in March 2009 at 57k miles, it now has about 121,500 miles (yes I drive a LOT) I wash my car 4 times a month, and wax it twice a month. I also keep the interior vacuumed and have "vent sticks" air fresheners in the "Black Ice" scent. Its got a few dents and scratches but it runs beautifully, is good on gas, and I've never had anything major go wrong with it yet, other then blowing a few speakers (Thanks LMFAO)

The other day after work, a very good looking girl had wanted to apprach me but then stopped before she could even initiate any conversation and said "Oh my God, you drive THAT?" as if it were the most repulsing thing she had seen in her life.

Considering I spend so much time and money on the upkeep of my car, I was a bit insulted and replied with "Yeah, do you have a problem with my car?" and she said "Yeah, I thought you were really cute and I wanted to talk to you, but I'm sorry I can't be seen with a guy in a car like yours, don't your parents own a BMW or Mercedes you can borrow?" I told her no and that my family wasn't rich like hers (I work in a grocery store in a VERY wealthy area) and I got into my car and drove home for the day

Now ladies, does it matter to you, even just a little what kind of car your man drives? If not, does it matter how clean its kept, running right, reliable?

Does "THAT" car below look like junk to you?
That looks nothing like junk to me. I'm actually sort of jealous. I don't have a car(college grad who is unemployed). I would let that woman go. She is obviously judgmental. If she would judge you by the kind of car you drive, then she isn't someone you want for the long haul. Take it from someone who has been perpetually single. I know I don't have a car. I know alot of people will look at me and think "what is wrong with that guy"? You know what? I tell them "whatever". If a woman is going to judge you by the make/model of car you drive, she isn't worth it in the end, because if she is so concerned about what car you drive, she won't be concerned about you the person.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
The Nissan Altima SE-R is no joke. It's a cool sports sedan and so was the Maxima.
No offense, and they may have terrific performance and value, but I have to agree, an Altima (any Altima), is just a generic-looking car, especially the older ones (like 2003). It may even be perfectly serviceable and well-maintained, but it's still always gonna have that middle-of-the-road, "insurance salesman" vibe about it. Although, agreed, it's so bland that it helped the OP "dodge a bullet"... so maybe it does have some "special" uses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive