Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
for the OP, you need to learn how to smell the cops..
No, he needs to learn to drive safely before he kills someone. I've scraped too many bodies off the highway or cut them out of cars because of morons like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
To the OP, I'd agree that you need to find out if this was in fact a wreckless driving ticket. That's pretty bad. If it was a careless (4 points), you'd be a lot better off.

The court system is full of people doing 78/55 and more. So you might get lucky and get it knocked down with defensive driving classes and/or a deferred sentence if it's offered (not likely but worth a try).

See about getting a lawyer or getting legal advice and be an angel from this moment till then. You might try talking to the DA or something. Also, if you do drive again drive like I do. Don't ever go 4 or 5 over if possible. I like all of my 12 points and have to keep my insurance as low as possible as I license and insure two trucks, an old classic car, and a Harley that collects dust.

Good luck with that.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Yes, 78 in a 55 is excessive, and it's excessive for someone who is under driving restrictions.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I would like to qualify my earlier post with the speed limit on the highway I normally go 70-80 on should be 70 MPH.. a little further north it is that speed limit and there are a lot of people living there. The part I drive is mostly brand new development and still pretty barren. I don't know why it doesn't have the 70 MPH speed limit.. besides, my CX-7 just feels odd at 55, like it's not even moving. One time I had a jerk cop purposely driving about 54 on that same highway early in the morning and my car didn't feel right at all. I don't know why so many cops around here do that, but it's VERY common. I think it's some sort of power trip or something and it totally messes up traffic, especially when they do it during rush hour. There's a giant pack of cars going exactly the speed limit and about a 1/2 mile of space in front where everyone else has sped away...

Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryd979 View Post
I just recently got my license back 4 months ago after it being suspended for 6 months. I vaguely remember them saying i can not get pulled over for anything within 6 months. Well here i am on the 4th month and i just recieved a reckless ticket for 78/55. I need help i can explain my situation more thoroughly if someone knows the situation i am in and can help me prevent jail time, and enlarged fines and suspended license.

Thanks in Adavance,
Cory Thurman
Cory, I truly hope that you are just young and still "wet behind the ears"... And I also hope that you understand NOW just how STUPID and dangerous your recklessness behind the wheel of a 2-ton deadly weapon was. You should get yourself a good lawyer that may reduce the penalties a judge will mete out to you. (Personally, I hope the judge throws the book at you...)

Here in Dayton, OH, a man in his 30's (with numerous previous traffic violations) was driving his girlfriend's Mercedes at an estimated 90 mph in a 25 mph zone. He flew over a small rise, past a stopped school bus with flashing lights and "STOP" arm extended and killed a high school student getting off the bus.

Cory, I'm afraid I have little sympathy. But I do hope this turns into a life-changing experience for you.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Cory, I truly hope that you are just young and still "wet behind the ears"... And I also hope that you understand NOW just how STUPID and dangerous your recklessness behind the wheel of a 2-ton deadly weapon was. You should get yourself a good lawyer that may reduce the penalties a judge will mete out to you. (Personally, I hope the judge throws the book at you...)

Here in Dayton, OH, a man in his 30's (with numerous previous traffic violations) was driving his girlfriend's Mercedes at an estimated 90 mph in a 25 mph zone. He flew over a small rise, past a stopped school bus with flashing lights and "STOP" arm extended and killed a high school student getting off the bus.

Cory, I'm afraid I have little sympathy. But I do hope this turns into a life-changing experience for you.
Perfectly said...

Old 10-14-2007, 02:54 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
I also have little sympathy for you. Why should I still be paying for insurance after thirty years of super safe driving? I have had no tickets or accidents and I mean no tickets; no parking tickets or even fix its. I only exceed the speed limit to pass on the highway, I never do over the posted limits in town ever. I set my cruise at no more than 2 to 4 over the limit. I never ever do not stop at the stop signs, I always make a complete stop. Yet I pay insurance in case some speeding careless person should lose control and collide with me. Now; is it fair that you get to be careless and wreckless and dis obey the traffic laws and safe drivers have to pay for it? Maybe it would be good for you to walk for a while and learn a lesson. I think all bad drivers should lose their liscense and learn a lesson, that and insurance companies need to really start rewarding good drivers and seriously punishing bad drivers.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Dragonslayer, do you talk on the phone while driving? I don't think anyone is a perfect driver and every one of us has probably done at least one totally stupid thing while driving and that's all it takes.. Driving takes 100% perfection and an accident only takes one mistake..

I learned a long time ago to never claim to be perfect, nobody is...

Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
I certainly don't want to dilute my (and the other posters) messages to Cory, but I'd like to discuss 'speed" for a minute. First of all, I hate the slogan "Speed kills" Speed doesn't kill, stupid decisions and differences in speed kill. We need rational speed limits and more driver training in the U.S. of A. NOT arbitrary speeds set to primarily enhance revenue instead of promote safety.

Locally, we have a narrow 2 lane road with a rapid descent down a hill and very low trees that restrict line-of-sight vision going westbound with a 45 mph speed limit. Just east of that stretch is a section of the same road that is four lane with a median and NO visibility issues but also on a hill. Speed limit: 35 mph. Go figure.

If speeds are set at a reasonable limit (around what the majority of vehicles travel) then hammer those that are going fast enough to change lanes frequently and dodge other traffic, I believe that highway safety would GREATLY improve. But that's not likely to happen because you must follow the money; insurance companies LOVE unrealistic speed limits because they can jack up the premiums every time some Revenue Enhancement Agent gets into your pocket. GEICO, and maybe even other insurance companies, used to (and may still today) donate radar guns to law enforcement agencies with the stipulation that they must be used EVERY day... And so many state and local jurisdictions count on a certain percentage of their revenue to come in the form of traffic citations. (I won't even get off into red light cameras...)

Despite my frustrations with current speed enforcement, the law is still the law. So, IMHO, it doesn't take much to keep from getting a ticket. From my experience, if you don't LOOK like you are speeding (go with the flow of traffic, keep right unless passing, don't change lanes unless necessary, etc.) you will hardly, if ever, attract law enforcement attention. And, trust me, it won't take you very much longer to get where you're going. I can arrive at the next light shifting up through ten gears in my truck as fast as the hot rodder in the automatic-transmissioned car! Setting the cruise control or just driving 5 mph or less over the speed limit won't even get the cops to notice you. There are enough drivers doing stupid things that they won't even bother the 'small fish" like you!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I hate the slogan "Speed kills" Speed doesn't kill,
At the risk of sounding flippant, I agree...........It's the sudden stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive