Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM

457 posts, read 889,509 times

Advertisements

The skip-shift that Ford put on the Mustang. I freaking HATE it!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
85 m.p.h. speedometer
"....But officer I had no idea I was doing 110, my speedo only goes up to 85."

Only 110? I wish that's what speed he had said to me ! LOL Yes, building a car with less than a 140 mph speedo in my option is lame these days.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
1. GPS. And screens for gps, getting online the size of small tv's ! Yet the people who want their small tv in the dash can't read a map or follow directions, but will complain about someone texting while driving while they are looking stuff up online driving down the road.
2. AND Childrens game plug ins. Make 'em look at the country side so they get a clue where they are in this world !!! They can waste their time on the games at home.
3. Self parking cars. Really? If I was a cop giving a diving test and the vehicle had that, the new almost driver would flunk ! Seriously it's not hard to park why do you need a computer control?
4. Computer controlled transmissions. This rates as the most stupid "high tech" controls in a car ever.
5. Auto on headlights. This should be banned asap and all cars/trucks with this feature recalled and banned from the road until the switch is changed to a must pull/turn lights on control.
6. Day time driving lights. Amazing isn't it? 85% of us now are offically near sighted and have a harder time at night in the last 17 years than ever before. But look at the damage done to our eyes by this supposed "safety" item. Who ever thought of this should have their eyes removed. Plus if someone is riding a bike or walking on a sidewalk, you can not see them because of all the *^&* lights on vehicles even during the day. Daytime driving lights should be banned and all vehicles with them crushed.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I agree, I know the Mustang II, which Ford produced from 1974 through 1978, even the ones with the 302 V-8 engines really degraded the Mustang name. They continued putting 4 and 6 cylinder engines with carburetors in Mustangs from 1979 through the mid 1980s. I believe it was in 1986 was when they started putting Fuel Injection in the engines, which improved perfomance quiet a bit.

I had a 1978 Mustang Cobra at one time with a V-6, the stripes and the "Cobra" name on it made it look like a mean Mustang, but it wasn't. Performance on it was pathetic and nowhere near a real Shelby Cobra Mustang.

Hood scoops and side scoops on late 1970s Camaro Z-28s that didn't serve any purpose but looks, were also 2 useless features. I had a 1979 Camaro Z-28 that had those. I know Pontiac had hood scoopes on the Trans Am and I believe were functional.

Don't forget the 4 cylinder Camaros that came out in 1982. Gutless.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
nothing wrong with 4cyl mustangs. also the 85mph speedo was govt mandated for some time

Those Mustangs were gutless. And the 85mph speedometer was only mandated from 1980 to 1982, but Ford kept using them until the mid-1990s.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
1. GPS. And screens for gps, getting online the size of small tv's ! Yet the people who want their small tv in the dash can't read a map or follow directions, but will complain about someone texting while driving while they are looking stuff up online driving down the road.
2. AND Childrens game plug ins. Make 'em look at the country side so they get a clue where they are in this world !!! They can waste their time on the games at home.
3. Self parking cars. Really? If I was a cop giving a diving test and the vehicle had that, the new almost driver would flunk ! Seriously it's not hard to park why do you need a computer control?
4. Computer controlled transmissions. This rates as the most stupid "high tech" controls in a car ever.
5. Auto on headlights. This should be banned asap and all cars/trucks with this feature recalled and banned from the road until the switch is changed to a must pull/turn lights on control.
6. Day time driving lights. Amazing isn't it? 85% of us now are offically near sighted and have a harder time at night in the last 17 years than ever before. But look at the damage done to our eyes by this supposed "safety" item. Who ever thought of this should have their eyes removed. Plus if someone is riding a bike or walking on a sidewalk, you can not see them because of all the *^&* lights on vehicles even during the day. Daytime driving lights should be banned and all vehicles with them crushed.
4. Why? They are more efficient.
5. Would you rather have more people drive around withouth their lights on if they happen to forget?
6. I highly doubt DRL is the cause of near sightedness and you can avoid hitting people and cyclist 99.9%+ of the time by not driving on the sidewalk, bike lane and paying attention at cross walks.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Those Mustangs were gutless. And the 85mph speedometer was only mandated from 1980 to 1982, but Ford kept using them until the mid-1990s.
SVO Mustangs (and it's predecessor, the GT Turbo) were 4 cyl turbo cars that were faster than th eV8 GTs of the day, and can be easily made much faster still.

SVO:

GT Turbo:

Rare cars that are appreciating in value. No,they aren't 4 cyl Mustang IIs, but they are 4 cyl Mustangs.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
There is a reverse side of this discussion. The silliest exclusions of useful features. American automakers continued to put the dimmer switch on the floor, for decades after the rest of the world put it on the steering column.

Also, headlight switches that can be left on after getting out of the car. I've only seen two cars that had a sensible headlight switch that would prevent accidentally leaving the lights on overnight.

One was an early Land Rover, about '65 vintage. The headlights were turned on by a ring around the ignition key, that automatically turned off when the key was turned off, but could be overridden to put the lights back on when the key was off. A dead battery can be quite a nuisance when your car is surrounded by hungry lions.

Also, my wonderful 1970 Datsun 510. The pull-out light switch was so close to the ignition key, that if the lights were on, your thumb would bump against the switch when turning off the key, an unfailing reminder.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a reverse side of this discussion. The silliest exclusions of useful features. American automakers continued to put the dimmer switch on the floor, for decades after the rest of the world put it on the steering column.

Also, headlight switches that can be left on after getting out of the car. I've only seen two cars that had a sensible headlight switch that would prevent accidentally leaving the lights on overnight.

One was an early Land Rover, about '65 vintage. The headlights were turned on by a ring around the ignition key, that automatically turned off when the key was turned off, but could be overridden to put the lights back on when the key was off. A dead battery can be quite a nuisance when your car is surrounded by hungry lions.

Also, my wonderful 1970 Datsun 510. The pull-out light switch was so close to the ignition key, that if the lights were on, your thumb would bump against the switch when turning off the key, an unfailing reminder.
And what about heads up speed display? Why don't more cars offer this feature? Display the speed and warnings on the windshield to help keep the driver's eyes on the road.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a '97 Camry that, if you leave the lights on after turning off the ignition and open the driver's door, the lights go off automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive