Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 01:52 PM

155 posts, read 125,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
My idea of a very desirable restomod:
Is that a Camaro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 PM

155 posts, read 125,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
6 year old thread bump fellas. This thread has a “get off my lawn” feel to it or described as first world problems.
Now, now... don't go criticizing threads, lmao

Old 12-23-2018, 03:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
do you mean like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBHsABC5xIY

Old 12-23-2018, 04:11 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
I really don't care what someone else does with the property they bought and paid for, and I don't understand why so many have a problem with it.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:53 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
So many people on here ***** about how modern cars all lack a sense of style. Well, resto mods are all about retaining the style of those classic cars while giving them the performance, ability, and in many cases safety features of a modern car (disc brakes for example). And resto mods aren't just based on American muscle cars, you can find resto mods of all sorts of cars, from Japanese classics to older Euro sport sedans.

I love seeing the creativity and style that so many of them have.
Old thread, but relevant point. Amen to the quoted.

My $.02: I was born in '67, and have a sentimental streak for the now-famous Mustang GT500s of that year. I have never, not once, heard a disparaging word for a so-called "Eleanor" build, by far the most famous to the layman, on said-GT500. I closely examined it a couple years ago, from one of several coachworks places known for this, and ultimately chose another option. But to some, the mid-hundreds one might have to pay for, say, a well-sorted Eleanor clone is hands-down worth every nickel. Polishing up a rolling classic to modern specs is interesting, if done right. In fact one of the known-good coachbuilders will drop a 1,000hp motor in one for an extra $30K over-and-above. Not how I'd handle it, but who is to say?

I don't need to post a pepper gray/black Eleanor, it's one of, if not *the*, most-famous resto-mods in the world.

Further, I've seen some amazing clean-up jobs done to old BMW 2002s and Porsche 914s, marginal to begin with but genuine performers after.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:19 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Old thread, but relevant point. Amen to the quoted.

My $.02: I was born in '67, and have a sentimental streak for the now-famous Mustang GT500s of that year. I have never, not once, heard a disparaging word for a so-called "Eleanor" build, by far the most famous to the layman, on said-GT500. I closely examined it a couple years ago, from one of several coachworks places known for this, and ultimately chose another option. But to some, the mid-hundreds one might have to pay for, say, a well-sorted Eleanor clone is hands-down worth every nickel. Polishing up a rolling classic to modern specs is interesting, if done right. In fact one of the known-good coachbuilders will drop a 1,000hp motor in one for an extra $30K over-and-above. Not how I'd handle it, but who is to say?

I don't need to post a pepper gray/black Eleanor, it's one of, if not *the*, most-famous resto-mods in the world.

Further, I've seen some amazing clean-up jobs done to old BMW 2002s and Porsche 914s, marginal to begin with but genuine performers after.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-project-gold/

Old 12-25-2018, 12:34 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I really don't care what someone else does with the property they bought and paid for, and I don't understand why so many have a problem with it.
Theres people out there that HAVE to tear other people down to make themselves feel better. Its most evident in politics and Car restoration/fabrication. When I see ca guys, they usually say they dont like a specific style, but appreciate the craftsmanship because they know how much work goes into restos.
I know the thread is 6 years old, but when you get someone that cant even appreciate the work, theyre just a miserable person in general. You have to feel sorry for people like that, means they arent happy with their lives.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:11 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
When I see car guys, they usually say they dont like a specific style, but appreciate the craftsmanship because they know how much work goes into restos.
I say I like everything.
One guy I talk to all the time at cruise-ins is an 80-something year old fellow that has a 23K mile Pacer.
I think it's awesome.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:10 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I say I like everything.
One guy I talk to all the time at cruise-ins is an 80-something year old fellow that has a 23K mile Pacer.
I think it's awesome.
Exactly! I dont like Pacers, but I MUST look over one with 23k original miles, or even one that was restored to like-new shape. Gotta give a guy credit for keeping it preserved for this long.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 729 times
Old thread, but still an interesting topic to consider in our modern age. These days, people are even adding electric capabilities to classic cars which truly makes them into a different machine. On one hand, can a car still really be considered "classic" if you've changed it in any significant way? On the other hand, adding technology that boosts a car's performance, comfort, and safety make the restomod route pretty tempting. To add to that, it makes these cars more accessible to the newer generation of car lovers.

Here is a sweet article that goes more in depth on the topic: [url]https://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/restoration-v-restomod-the-timeless-classic-car-debate/[/url]

At the end of the day, I think it's up to the individual to determine what will bring them the most enjoyment when figuring out which route they want to take with their project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive