Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times

Advertisements

In doing my planning on building this project two California businesses have given me some ideas and ways to save some money. Kennedy Engineering in Palmdale, CA does clutches, adaptors and flywheels and is a great resource for any Hot Rodder. They recommended a shop in Chatsworth, CA, Transaxel Engineering for more building ideas. I am anxious to get started on my project and it looks like these two companies are going to be hearing from me a lot this winter.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Let me know how that works out crestliner. I recently read about a small car made in India that is driven by compressed air so it is possible. Combing air and electricity is really unique. A few million of those as daily commuters would sure clean up the atmosphere....

GL2
...except for the pollution produced by making the electricity needed to compress the air. Just like electric cars, people seem to forget about that.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM

6 posts, read 24,420 times
Good Luck with your plan..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
...except for the pollution produced by making the electricity needed to compress the air. Just like electric cars, people seem to forget about that.
I have no formal blueprint just my ideas. Im too old to build it now without a backer and extra manual help. Your assumption that electricity is required to compress air is flawed. My idea would convert the energy displaced from braking into a mechanical pump for building air pressure and wouldn't use electricity other than perhaps for switches . In theory every time you brake you use the resistance of an air pump to pump up air pressure into a storage tank and slow the car at the same time. When you then start to move again this air pressure goes into an air driven motor to start the car moving. It is well known that starting from a dead stop requires plenty of energy compared to moving the car once you reach a highway speed. Thats why stop and go driving in conventional cars always takes more gasoline that just road driving. Sorry to hijack the motorcycle thread. I guess these ideas could be used on a bike also.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I have no formal blueprint just my ideas. Im too old to build it now without a backer and extra manual help. Your assumption that electricity is required to compress air is flawed. My idea would convert the energy displaced from braking into a mechanical pump for building air pressure and wouldn't use electricity other than perhaps for switches . In theory every time you brake you use the resistance of an air pump to pump up air pressure into a storage tank and slow the car at the same time. When you then start to move again this air pressure goes into an air driven motor to start the car moving. It is well known that starting from a dead stop requires plenty of energy compared to moving the car once you reach a highway speed. Thats why stop and go driving in conventional cars always takes more gasoline that just road driving. Sorry to hijack the motorcycle thread. I guess these ideas could be used on a bike also.
There are numerous physics issues with your plan. But I'll skip those and point out that the company building the compressed air cars is compressing the air via land based electric compressors. If they haven't figured out perpetual motion with compressed air, I doubt you have.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
It should be workable. It would be like the ca-am Spyders.

Spyder ST Motorcycle for Sports Touring |*Can-Am Roadster

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Wind Power could be used to generate compressed air. Would that be GREEN enough?
GL2

Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
No, how much energy went into building the windmill.
There is no GREEN, just shade of brown.

Quote:
Wind Power could be used to generate compressed air. Would that be GREEN enough?
GL2

Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
GL2
Sure, if that were possible in more than a few percent of the country. But it's not.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No, how much energy went into building the windmill.
There is no GREEN, just shade of brown.
If you are referring to the huge airplane propeller type you are right. However there are plenty of smaller devices that require less resources and materials. WIND FARMS are NOT the answer. I have been doing patent searches on wind generators for several years and believe me when I say there are BETTER ideas out there. Some of the best ideas were patented in the 1800's. Look at the USPTO website to be enlightened.

Hurricane Sandy should be an eye opener for this country to get a better energy distribution system in place. Our current electric GRID is a disaster that happened with Sandy and will repeat over and over until we get a better system.
K.I.S.S.

Nuff said on that. Back to Trikes please?

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive