Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 PM

187 posts, read 270,240 times

Advertisements

Why FWD? FWD is terrible for handling. Think of the weight balance and how bad the front bias would be on a trike like that. 1,000 pound front axle with very little behind it weighing down the rear, no thanks. That combined with torque steer would almost be dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 04:05 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
In doing my planning on building this project two California businesses have given me some ideas and ways to save some money. Kennedy Engineering in Palmdale, CA does clutches, adaptors and flywheels and is a great resource for any Hot Rodder. They recommended a shop in Chatsworth, CA, Transaxel Engineering for more building ideas. I am anxious to get started on my project and it looks like these two companies are going to be hearing from me a lot this winter.

GL2
Yo! GL2, hey, how did your experiment turn out!?? About 10 years ago I ran across a vehicle in a shop in Pasadena that absolutely thrilled me. If memory serves (and a little googling), it was a TriHawk, which was a short-run production vehicle back in the 70's or 80's. It was georgeous, and everything I found to read about it made it sound 100% fun.

But, before I go farther, my apologies to anyone offended by me waking up an old thread! I did notice the Trihawk did not get mentioned by anyone else.

Here's the thing - it was FWD - with a boxer engine from France (Citroen?). I think they considered a Subaru but had importation problems. In the following years, I discussed the possibility of a FWD trike (reverse trike, whatever) with a number of other people, including people who built motorcycle trikes and car cutdown mods. One bit of good advice, that I recall, was to basically take a Subie with a good front and maybe cockpit, and weld a new subframe to the "hard points". The Subaru's have a boxer engine to keep the weight and profile low, and stability high. Subaru's also have a higher reliability rating and parts availability then Citroen.

I think your idea, especially because of the FWD bit, is a great one. Apparently the Trihawk could pull more g's on a skidpad than any car or RWD trike. At least, at the time, and maybe since. By using an existing FWD drive train, you've got all the bugs already worked out, re pulling and all that. I'm a bit bewildered by all the naysayers badmouthing FWD handling, when, especially in this case, it should be far superior to RWD handling.

As far as why other trikes are RWD - the simplest reason for that is pure economics. It's easier, cheaper, and has a larger existing market, to build up from a m-cycle base than to cut down from an auto base. Not to mention the possibility of pollution requirements for production vehicles. Cutting down from a car likely makes your vehicle a car, and I'm pretty sure projects like the Spyder have worked to keep themselves licensed as motorcycles. Occam's Razor says the simplest reason is most likely the truest.

So, apparently we are rare beasts, thinking about FWD trikes, but you are not alone.

Another car to google that might be of interest would be the Blackjack Zero. The Blackjack ZERO
British, but the Zero uses a VW flat four - which is the only VW I'd ever use, myself, seeing as how all the later stuff inherits (at least, imo) more from the Audi and Opel - and I can't say anything polite about either of those two - based on my ownership experiences. But that Blackjack Zero looks interesting - it's a kit car, too.

And the new Elio motors car/trike is FWD - it it ever gets to market.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Joining in late (Aug 2015) but this was exactly what I've been thinking of too.
About to go test drive a Can Am, but where I live (B.C. Canada) the new ones are closer to $30,000. now.Ouch!

Too, there's the brand new out Slingshot! Even seen one! Really looks cool - for $20,000. Excellent engineering... they're selling it too cheap!

FWD - they were built into the care market because: cheap(er); simpler; handles better, unless you are a racer... etc.
So, I don't see why any 4 cyl FWD car wouldn't work.
Small cars like Toyota, Mazda, Honda, etc. etc etc. build really good stuff - & wrecked ones (hit in the back or side would be best... should be dirt cheap with everything there! And hop up goodies are everywhere for more HP if that's what you want.
I like the idea of the 3.4 or 3.8 litre engines in 1,000,000 GM's but they're a little bigger than I was thinking...

Anyway, good to find this thread... hope I can find you again.. I'll check out some of the names mentioned earlier...
Good luck to all with their projects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive