Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I have no doubt that they are able to do it. The question is whether the bean counters will allow them to.
I do have doubts. In the appliance industry, the basic machines are made overseas. The higher end, more complex machines are made in the US becasue the Chinese factories are not as efficient in manufacturing the higher end machines. I only see this happening if a US run factory from China is involved. Otherwise, unless the trend changes, the consistency of the Chinese product using their practices without "western" management or QC will result in a dubious product. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe by the time you add the extra cost of meeting US standards and add shipping costs, it is more advantageous to manufacture here. But like I said, my industry has seen ahuge influx of Chinese product and it's not that the Chinese cannot make good product, they can. It is all about how consistently they do it. You can have good batches and then run into QC issues where they ship large batches with problems. Many American don't realize how socailly acceptable cheating is in Chinese business practices. This will often result in Chinese suppliers trying to cheat on specs. This is why so many US Companies have set up their own factories overseas and have vertically integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You kidding? The bean counters would be the first ones proposing to have all the work done in China. How do you think all the work migrated over there in the first place?
You're kidding right? My statement was directly related to having the work done in China. That's the point.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I do have doubts. In the appliance industry, the basic machines are made overseas. The higher end, more complex machines are made in the US becasue the Chinese factories are not as efficient in manufacturing the higher end machines. I only see this happening if a US run factory from China is involved. Otherwise, unless the trend changes, the consistency of the Chinese product using their practices without "western" management or QC will result in a dubious product. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe by the time you add the extra cost of meeting US standards and add shipping costs, it is more advantageous to manufacture here. But like I said, my industry has seen ahuge influx of Chinese product and it's not that the Chinese cannot make good product, they can. It is all about how consistently they do it. You can have good batches and then run into QC issues where they ship large batches with problems. Many American don't realize how socailly acceptable cheating is in Chinese business practices. This will often result in Chinese suppliers trying to cheat on specs. This is why so many US Companies have set up their own factories overseas and have vertically integrated.
We know that Chinese factories are capable of producing complex electronic/machinery and do so in large quantities. The problem with many of these factories as you've stated is QC which is intentional as far as management is concerned. They know the quality of the product they produce, they know the failure rates and they set their acceptance targets. They can improve QC substantially with relative ease but the question is how much would it cost and would the American public be willing to pay more for a better product. At that point, as you've said, the issue becomes whether it is cost effective to produce a product of the same quality overseas.

Whenever a discussion regarding China's manufacturing capability arises, there are many people whose first assumption is that China is not capable of producing quality products. The real question is, why do many Chinese factories manufacture to a lower quality standard and its directly related to how much money Americans (and others) are willing to pull out of their wallet.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
It's already happened.

Southern California Coda, is selling an electric car for the US market that is manufactured in China. There is some minor work done in the USA. To add insult to injury, the US Taxpayer subsidizes this vehicle via substantial tax credits for an electric car purchase.

(It would not surprise if if they didn't get "stimulus" money as well.)

Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's already happened.

Southern California Coda, is selling an electric car for the US market that is manufactured in China. There is some minor work done in the USA. To add insult to injury, the US Taxpayer subsidizes this vehicle via substantial tax credits for an electric car purchase.

(It would not surprise if if they didn't get "stimulus" money as well.)
AFAIK, the Coda uses the body of a Chinese car (designed by Pininfarina) and the batteries came from China. The engine and mgmt (sw) system is from the US and it's assembled in the US (Benicia, California ... not too far from where I am).

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
We know that Chinese factories are capable of producing complex electronic/machinery and do so in large quantities. The problem with many of these factories as you've stated is QC which is intentional as far as management is concerned. They know the quality of the product they produce, they know the failure rates and they set their acceptance targets. They can improve QC substantially with relative ease but the question is how much would it cost and would the American public be willing to pay more for a better product. At that point, as you've said, the issue becomes whether it is cost effective to produce a product of the same quality overseas.

Whenever a discussion regarding China's manufacturing capability arises, there are many people whose first assumption is that China is not capable of producing quality products. The real question is, why do many Chinese factories manufacture to a lower quality standard and its directly related to how much money Americans (and others) are willing to pull out of their wallet.
My wife is from China, and all of her family live back there. The feeling there as well is that much of the stuff manufactured there is poor quality. If people have enough money they like to buy the American or Japanese brands of electronics because even though they are still assembled in China, they are done in factories run by those American or Japanese companies with their own quality control so they know the items will be much better quality.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I rather buy an American vehicle.
Whatever that actually is anymore.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically China manufacturers are just starigto reallt develop their cars. I can remmber when the same was said of their elctronics. One factore tho is that China has become the world's larest market for vehicles and surpassed even the US on demand. One onlyhas to look at foreign car amnufacvtuers to see that they consider it the market of the future in sales. Most western countries have lowering demand by lessing polautio as to age and more grains ii older people not driving more and more.China even with the limted area develop thus far is already going to soon surpass even the US super highway system.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:

And in the new today we have this.

Foxconn Offers To Train Americans On Manufacturing | News | Manufacturing.net

Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
The learning curve in manufacturing is much shorter in this day and age. I mean, if you are a pretty decent automotive engineer, well, you really have a long history to look back on to see what works and what does not work. So much of acar is standardized because the electronic circuits, body style, safety equipment...etc, etc...has been around and had the bugs worked out.

The Chinese could make a decent car for the US market...I have no doubt about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive