Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 5,775 times

Advertisements

There have been problems with the gasket around the brake pedal for several manufacturers. I expect they did a corrective action for that and it resulted in less noise masking from inside the car. But if they did not, then this is still not unusual for a mechanic to claim a noise is "normal" when it clearly is not. When I have tire rotations done, sometimes they knock a balancing weight of one or more tires and they claim my "lumpy" ride is due to me needing new tires - trying to get a tire purchase rather than just the rotation out of me. But the feel of an unbalanced tire is not the same as the feel of a worn one (one that is older or was not rotated in time, etc.) So I usually make the following deal with the folks who did the work. I tell them what I think is going on, they tell me their standard excuse. I then tell them that they can either recheck it using my theory or I will take it to a completely different company and use their discovery as the basis for a complain with the state if my theory is correct. Both times I explained my stance that way, the company grudgingly reviewed the work and magically the problem was fixed (missing weight re-appeared.) But sloppiness with the breaks can have much more serious consequences. If they put on the wrong size or put them on the wrong way, you could have an early deterioration or inadequate breaking. If twisting the wheels makes a noise, that also sounds like another problem- probably not related to the brakes at all. The cover on your axle joint could be torn or lose and the joint getting pitted, could be a bad rod, I guess if could be a brake fitting so poorly that it is rubbing on something else when the wheels are turned to the far extension. In any case, if this work was recent you should probably take it someplace else and be sure they give you a report AND any items they remove so you can file a complaint with the state if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
sometimes mechanics leave out the anti rattle springs and that will create a noise. with disc brakes the rotors are not perfectly true, they use a small amount of run out to push the pads back off the rotors as a normal part of releacsing the brakes. sometimes this will cause the pads to be pushed back harder than the manufacturer designed, and you get just such clicking noise as you describe.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:10 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchick View Post
There have been problems with the gasket around the brake pedal...
A brake pedal gasket? What the hell is that?

Anyway, by the description it sounds like the rear brake shoes are hanging up on the backing plate. A die grinder to smooth the plate and a little brake lube will fix it if that's what the problem is.

I've heard many transmissions click when turning the wheels by hand. Doubt there's a problem.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
In my travels to find out why I hear a click everytime I release my brake, this is what one mechanic told me. Also they all agree that my 2005 Toyota Echo is basically just a cheap car and I will hear things I have never heard before.
Also while up on the lift, the mechanic (that installed the brakes) was turning the tires and you could hear a clicking sound and he said that is from the transmission but the transmission is fine, is this normal?
While driving in a stop and go fashion, he does hear the click but everything with the brakes looks fine and only worry if the click gets louder.
It just worries me because I didn't start hearing the click until a few days after the brakes were done.
Any opinions?
Thanks
Asbestos in brake linings and other items have been banned for years did ti health related issues.

Asbestos in Automobiles | Mesothelioma & Other Health Risks

Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
In my travels to find out why I hear a click everytime I release my brake, this is what one mechanic told me. Also they all agree that my 2005 Toyota Echo is basically just a cheap car and I will hear things I have never heard before.
Also while up on the lift, the mechanic (that installed the brakes) was turning the tires and you could hear a clicking sound and he said that is from the transmission but the transmission is fine, is this normal?
While driving in a stop and go fashion, he does hear the click but everything with the brakes looks fine and only worry if the click gets louder.
It just worries me because I didn't start hearing the click until a few days after the brakes were done.
Any opinions?
Thanks
From what you say you have had the misfortune to have a real jerk for a mechanic work on your car. My guess is he didn't do a complete job on your brakes. Have someone else at a different repair shop check his work ASAP!!.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
When you were under the car with the mechanic and he was turning the wheels, was anybody inside the car applying and releasing the brakes? Did you hear the clicks when the wheels were rotated?

Sometimes when a wheel is rotated and you hear a click coming from the wheel area, specially after a brake job has been done, I would suspect something to do with a brake pad, probably the inside one on one of the calipers not having grease on the metallic side between the caliper's piston and pad. Most brake jobs where the pads are replaced requires the use of a special high temperature brake grease. This grease reduces the chance for the piston to slap slap the pad and make a clicking sound. Anyway, have the mechanic figure exactly where the clicking sound is coming from.

If the noise was not there before the brake job and now it is, then it has to do with the brake job.

Take it back to the mechanic.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-09-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM

38 posts, read 191,183 times
Ya it dose not look like, your braking system has to do anything with the noise your wheels a re making, i would say get alignment of your wheels checked and as well as the bearing systems inside the wheels.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
not true.. about the brakes. Ceramic, metallic and other compounds are just as good if not better then asbestos.
Not just any....Ray's are VERY VERY good!

Raybestos Atd914c Advanced Technology Ceramic Disc

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
A brake pedal gasket? What the hell is that?

Anyway, by the description it sounds like the rear brake shoes are hanging up on the backing plate. A die grinder to smooth the plate and a little brake lube will fix it if that's what the problem is.

I've heard many transmissions click when turning the wheels by hand. Doubt there's a problem.
Firewall gasket or the rubber outter part of the metal brake lever pad. The rubber that fits on the metal pedal. You can even customize Harleys with different ones.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Not just any....Ray's are VERY VERY good!

Raybestos Atd914c Advanced Technology Ceramic Disc
No dust, no squeal, extra stopping power....and VERY long life. I've had a set on my front F-250 SD for 64,000.

Raybestos Brakes - Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive