Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,572 times

Advertisements

This morning on the way to work I passed the little car rental place which seems to be struggling to make it, and out in front they had a beautiful 2012 silver Corvette for rent. Oh my! I didn't even know you could rent one, and there it was, for rent.

I've dreamed of having a Corvette since I was very young, and while I might never be able to own one I could at least be free on the road in one for a short time. I'm struggling too, and I don't make a lot of money, but when I stopped after work to ask what it would cost to rent that gorgeous Corvette I was told that I could have it for a mere $75 a day, including insurance! Wowie Zowie!!!

So, when my boyfriend called from where he's working out of town I told him about it, and to my dismay he seemed to think it was a ridiculous idea, and told me that maybe when I win the lottery I could do that. He was completely dismissive of the whole idea, and had absolutely no appreciation of what it means to me, nor does he care. Now I'm wondering why he's my boyfriend at all.

My estranged father takes the same view of Corvettes, and hates them, saying they are the most uncomfortable car he's ever been in. He likes a recliner armchair on the road, I want a facile thoroughbred with serious performance. Dad misses the whole point of it, as does my clueless BF. Why we are estranged from each other is clear to me.

Well my BF will be out of town this weekend and will never know if I rent that Vette this weekend and enjoy it as I should. I want to make it a part of my living experience, and reinforce my dream of owning one. I want to roam the roads in it, light up the tires a couple times, feel the power, acceleration, and handling, aggressively dig into the curves, and cut an image around town.

I might be a 58 year old broad, but I'm not dead yet, and I want to live a little this weekend instead of sitting around the house listening to my hair grow as I usually do. I need this, and I have the cash. Doug will never know if I do it, so I'm not going to tell him.

Maybe I can pick up a new guy this weekend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,270 times
LOL! I rented a Shelby Mustang when I was in LA several years ago. $99 a day, and my son and I had a good time driving all around LA. Put a good 180 miles on it. I have an older Mustang, but I wanted to drive the newer model without some salesman in the passenger seat. We had some fun, and my son even enjoyed driving it for a while, and he is not a car guy at all.

I say go for it and enjoy it. But be careful. If you are not used to driving a high performance car and know how to handle it, you can very easily get into mega $$$$ trouble very fast.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Yep go for it, who cares what Doug thinks. All though if it were me, I would be renting something a bit more exotic then a vette. Cant rent them for $75 a day though

Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Maybe you do need a different boyfriend. Shouldn't have to hide things like this from him. Then again, I'm 46 and never married, so what do I know about relationships. Just be careful. Vettes are well known for going from just under the limit to CRASH very quickly. Here are some great examples of this (some language NSFW):

Ladies And Gentlemen, The Corvette Fail Compilation Video | GM Authority

Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,912 times
YOLO ( you only live once)
You are a grown woman aren't you? Do what you wanna do.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
Go for it! Who the hell cares what BF thinks...YOUR paying the bill, right?

Do be careful...Vettes have a way of biting you in the butt...skid control is worthless and if you hit a bit of wet pavement, your rear end will circle around you pretty quick. Have fun and drive save! We would love to see a pic of said adventure!

Old 11-10-2012, 01:19 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times
Hell yeah. Go for it!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Your boyfriend sucks.

If I ever become available I'm looking you up.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times
Your BF knows a lot of guys will be looking at that car while you are in it. I rent cars all the time. I use to spend $2000-$3000 a year renting cars. It was far less than the cost of owning a new car just to get away once a month or so. I have a neighbor who owns a beautiful corvette and he rarely drives it. He's paying to have it parked in his garage and IMO that's where most "fair weather cars" spend all their time.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
It makes a lot more sense that the guys who BUY a car they can't afford on impulse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive