Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times

Advertisements

I posted yesterday asking about some stations wagons from the "modern era" of cars and figured that perhaps I could get some info on classic wagons as well.

By "classic", I mean "no newer than early 1980s". (I guess that makes me a classic... )

For example, I've often wondered about the Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare wagon. Chrysler products were second to none in the 1970's and 1980's. I've had three of them and they were as close to indestructible as any vehicle I've ever owned.

And of course there was the Malibu / Chevelle / Skylark wagon, which was another mid-sized wagon that might just get decent mileage. I had a '67 Skylark convertible with a 300 V8 2bbl and a Powerglide ("Dynaflow") that got 20 mpg on the highway without me really trying.

What would you consider to be the best and most comfortable classic mid-sized wagons... and why? (By "comfort", you should know that I like reclining seats and a full or split bench in the front.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We always had those wagons when I was a kid. SOmetimes we had two of them. We had Chevys, pontiacs and an Oldsmobile. I do not remeber the model.

Economy was not good, somewhere around 15 MPG I think. Comfort varied. Mostly they were ulitarian, but the Oldsmobile was pretty luxurious. The way back seats were not comfortable at all, not even when you are little. Plus they face backwards and make you car sick.

Performance was often very good. All of ours had big V-8s and could get it when needed. Not as quick as a sedan with the same engine, but close.

Handliing was not great, but they could run upwards of 110 on the freeway without a crash. Certinaly not impressive cornering. Ride varied. The Olds was bouncy, but most of the others were pretty stiff except when they were broken (50% of the time).

Reliability is hard to say. I had an older brother and sister, then there was me, so as long as I can remember there was a teenage driver beating the snot out of the wagons when Mom andDad were not around. I was the worst. I actually got one airborn jumping the railroad tracks on a dirt road. When we landed, I had accidentally knocked the shift lever into reverse, so we came down in reverse but moving forward at 70 MPH. The fromt of the car dug into the roand and the engine compartment completely filled with gravel. After we cleaned it out and patched up some injured passengers it started up and we were able to drive to the hospital with no problems. A week alter dad had it int he shop and could not understand how every sinlge hose and line could fail at the same time - it just made no sense.

Reliable - not sure ours broke often, but they were abused.Tough though, tough as nails (whatever that means). We ahd to fix them a lot, but try as we might, we seems incapable of destroying them.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
In terms of style, I don't believe there was a finer looking station wagon than what Mercury made for 1959

Bob.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
In terms of style, I don't believe there was a finer looking station wagon than what Mercury made for 1959

Bob.
YEAH BABY!!

I was asking about mid-sized wagons... but if I had one of those... I'd probably drive it all over the place regardless of gas mileage!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I had a 1964 Skylark wagon, with the 300 CI aluminum head V8 engine. I'd love to have it back again, vista dome roof and all, but traded it in back in 1973. basically the same as the Chevelle, and there is a guy nearby that drives a 1965 Chevelle wagon every day, un-restored survivor with the 283.

My old wagon:
Attached Thumbnails
Classic mid-sized wagons - reliability / fuel economy / comfort / etc?-1964buickskylarkwagon.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I'm thinking the VW "Nomad" wagons - 2 door Fox I think - would have bucket front seats, but they do recline enough to use for a bed, in a pinch, and compared to the Detroit cars would have better MPG but would not haul as much, and pretty much forget about towing anything with it.

But they are something to think about. As would be the Camry wagons they built in the 80's.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
As a fan of wagons, I could talk about them all-night, but its late and I am heading to bed, so I am going to catch this one tomorrow night maybe. lol.

As far as the 70s go, midsized wagons, your more comfortable ones would probably be the ones like the Chevy Malibu / Pontiac LeMans / Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser and Buick Regal/Century wagons.

We had a '77 Plymouth Volare Premier wagon in the early 90s, it was pretty comfortable. I would say the mid-size Ford wagons were pretty good too... like the Fairmount / Zephyr, then the mid-size LTD wagon that took over the name of the Fairmount in the early 80s.

Myself, I have a '72 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon that I am restoring, really comfortable car, but its a huge car. lol.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The best all around car I have ever owned was a early 90's Buick Roadmaster Wagon. This thing did everything right except resist the rust cancer that killed it. I would carry four big adults in real comfort, get over 25 mpg on cruise on a flat expressways, reliably shut down ricers at the stop light drags, and, once I put some velocity sensitive shocks on, it handled fairly well.

I am looking for another one.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM

413 posts, read 877,955 times
Default Volvo

Loved my ancient Volvo wagon. Looks like a box, but great mileage 28+

Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
The late 70s full size Mopars were mid size compared to past years, so a T&C or Diplomat could be good and come with a small V8 or Slant 6. I'd go for a custom '69 GTO wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive