Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,419,632 times

Advertisements

Tennessee researcher changing the face of fuel economy | Fox News

OK, does this drive the rear wheels? I'm confused as to how this would work. If it drives the rear wheels, how is it connected to the car's drive system telling it to turn on the electric motors? For $3,000, is it really worth the money? Another question, if it drives the rear wheels of a FWD vehicle, wouldn't that create damaging stress on the rear suspension which is not designed to take the stress of being drive wheels? I don't think this "professor" has thought this idea all the way through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,006,615 times
Not enough info in that article to really dissect how the system works, but I believe the drive wheels would stay the same. If it's a FWD car, you mount them on the front wheels. RWD, they are mounted in the rear.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,128,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not enough info in that article to really dissect how the system works, but I believe the drive wheels would stay the same. If it's a FWD car, you mount them on the front wheels. RWD, they are mounted in the rear.
The video showed the system being mounted on the rear wheels of a Honda.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,419,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I noticed that as well. They were being mounted on the non-drive wheels. If the system turns the non-drive wheels into an electric motor drive wheel, wouldn't that put additional stresses on the rear suspension system in ways they weren't designed to handle?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 AM

882 posts, read 2,084,837 times
The idea is straightforward - to convert braking into electricity. Not a bad thing, but not going to save much (if any) fuel for most folks...

Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,128,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I noticed that as well. They were being mounted on the non-drive wheels. If the system turns the non-drive wheels into an electric motor drive wheel, wouldn't that put additional stresses on the rear suspension system in ways they weren't designed to handle?
I won't second the guess the engineers working on this, because I'm not one. OTOH, I do see all kinds of issues with that setup, especially since they're touting it as being very simple. The video has too little info to address those issues. And we all know that anything with "universal fit" seldom does.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,006,615 times
Quote:
Doh! I just read the article, didn't even realize there was a video.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,536,195 times
Quote:
Blind as a bat here asking where the video is... A link perhaps?

Edit: Never mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOA_i2qAQq0

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,173,079 times
I had the same idea several years ago. Im glad to see someone with the money and experts working on making it work.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,889,160 times
There IS missing info...... This system appears to be independent of any other car system. So You need a main switch to turn off the rest of the car, and still unlock steering, run lights and have a vac pump take over for vac assist brakes.

Since it is designed for speeds under 40 the normal suspention should work fine. This is effectively 1 wheel drive unit which will also be it's own brake added to the normal brakes.

The way this appears to work to me is the electro magnets either spin up the wheel or would slow it down. And the riggin in the truck/hatch area seems to run it all. The link video didn't get into what that was, but it seems to be a battery, a motor, an alternator, combo unit that would send power to the wheel.

That power is somewhat different that a gas car would have as I assume there would be no free wheel coasting. You either have power or are taking power away, so the wheel is going faster or slowing but never free wheels and or coasts.

So you have power and breaking right there... but probably not stopping power, where the real brakes take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive