Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed how the new gas cans sold all over the US today not longer have a small breathing hole and cap at one end? Well, the darn things are extremely expensive, most take two hands, one to unlock the spout and the other to hold the can, and it takes very long time to empty a 5-gal can.

I have not idea where the safety designs of the new gas cans were introduced, although I suspect that it was in CA (please forgive me if you are from CA, I beg your pardon). But the end result is more spilled fuel, and one has to be built like a gorilla to hold a 5-gal. can of fuel with one hand. To make matters worst, if you decide to keep the pouring spout inside the full can to travel, these cans not longer have a cap that keeps dirt, rain, or snow out of the base of the spout where the safety lid is at. It means that you have to clean the thing carefully before you pour fuel in your vehicle's tank. The cheaper ones I have found in Alaska cost around $16.00.

Do you remember the old cans that had a flexible and almost clear plastic spout? These were strong, had an air vent and cap at one side, plus a little black lid you could place over the spout before screwing the cap back on before traveling. You only needed one hand to bend the spout to insert in the gas tank, and then hold the can with both hands. The fuel would pour out real fast, and that was that.

Luckily I still have around 5 of the old cans, but today I had no choice but to buy 2 of the new ones. By the time I poured 5 gallons of gasoline in my truck at -20 degrees outside I was almost frozen to death

Just venting, I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Hi RayinAK--

I despise the new gas cans with a passion. I have one of the older 1 gallon gas cans in my trunk for emergencies (and I haven't run out of gas in almost five years) but I'm holding onto it nevertheless. Because, frankly, the new gas cans suck.

If you need a good quality gas can without the CARB control crap on it, then just get some jerrycans.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi RayinAK--

I despise the new gas cans with a passion. I have one of the older 1 gallon gas cans in my trunk for emergencies (and I haven't run out of gas in almost five years) but I'm holding onto it nevertheless. Because, frankly, the new gas cans suck.

If you need a good quality gas can without the CARB control crap on it, then just get some jerrycans.
Jerrycans should work just fine. Thanks for the idea.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
really good cans with nozzles that dont break when you put weight on them are around 275.00 each.

sceptor makes excellent ones.

the cheap cans were a cheap quick way to meet the epa regulations but they really do suck.

they are also intended for diesel fuel not gasoline.

they use cheap rubber seals which swell and leak with gasoline. good gas cans use vitrone seals.

i dont have a use for the good ones as all i want is some thing i can fill and dump in without storing or transporting it any further then down the block if we ever have lines again.

of course that does not stop the little plastic nozzle that breaks from the weight .

http://schwarttzy.com/scepter-jerry-can/

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-25-2012 at 04:29 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 AM

these sceptor are excellent but im not sure if they are epa compliant anymore.

Scepter Can, MFC review and test

Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Hate 'em. I use them all the time for my motorcycle when I'm at the track. We just unscrew the top and use a funnel. You have to be a contortionist to use those things the way they are intended, let alone the arm strength needed to balance it all awkwardly when the can is full.

Mike

Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Hate them. Wish I'd realized the change BEFORE I tossed my old can. I would have kept it and worked around the problem it had.

I drilled a small hole behind the handle and cover it with a piece of electrical tape when I transport fuel. Empties quicker.

Damn Nanny Nation...

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
I use the military metal cans (ok, they aren't red in color, so technically that is a no-no). They work great.
(Though I had to have "Reinbenzin Essence Pure" and "Benzin Essence" translated by a friend).

They are cheap, will last forever, and are strong as nails.
Got them from some place in MN... can't remember where (they sold surplus stuff, and this was a decade ago)

Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I picked up a 1 gallon one, because I picked up a 2 stroke Ecco trimmer. Just to mix the ok/fuel.

Either way, I left it out on my driveway while I was working, it expanded up, like a ballon, I went to vent it, so I did the twist upside down, contortion thing, to just vent the tank out.

It freaking shot fuel 10-20 feet in the air, and sprayed one of my cars(went from yardwork to car washing...)

If I had done it in my garage I would have sprayed the garage ceiling, if I was standing over would have sprayed me in the face, and blinded me.

For a nanny state, it actually made my life more dangerous then before...

Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM

being here in nyc we had horrible gas lines. my neighbor filled up one of those cheapie cans. it leaked in his back seat while transporting it . everynight he parked with his trunk open and windows down for weeks now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive