Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times

Advertisements

Ford takes a big dive.

Consumer Reports' auto reliability report: Toyota tops, Ford dives - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Bump

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The top seven are Japanese, and all American cars are below average, except for Cadillac. Ouch.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
You're throwing this out there like it means something. Coming from the rice wine drunk "engineers", and I use the term engineers as it always gets a laugh, they wouldn't have a clue about a wind up toy. Anything as complex as todays autos, they haven't even got a chance at guessing it right. Toyota makes no better or no worse cars than the others........and their still in 3 rd place for overall sales in the US. As far as their relationship with Ford, besides not having one, they're looking for another Explorer event to hammer the US auto maker to make CR look good. In reality, there was no issue with the Explorer and the then current model Tundra was more prone to a rollover than the Explorer.....but you didn't hear CR make that statement. CR has ZERO credibility. They're in the same boat with any Petersen rags or Motor Trend- nothing there worth reading.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I don't subscribe to CR but I certainly enjoy MotorTrend and C&D!

In other news, looks like Ford is getting hit with mileage innacuracy claims as well: http://green.autoblog.com/2012/12/26...hybrid-mileag/

Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You're throwing this out there like it means something. Coming from the rice wine drunk "engineers", and I use the term engineers as it always gets a laugh, they wouldn't have a clue about a wind up toy. Anything as complex as todays autos, they haven't even got a chance at guessing it right. Toyota makes no better or no worse cars than the others........and their still in 3 rd place for overall sales in the US. As far as their relationship with Ford, besides not having one, they're looking for another Explorer event to hammer the US auto maker to make CR look good. In reality, there was no issue with the Explorer and the then current model Tundra was more prone to a rollover than the Explorer.....but you didn't hear CR make that statement. CR has ZERO credibility. They're in the same boat with any Petersen rags or Motor Trend- nothing there worth reading.
I've been reading Consumer Reports reliability ratings and reports for over 30 years. Based on my experience, they've seldom missed the mark in their reliability reporting. A friend who is both a Ford and Toyota dealer privately confirmed to me Ford's deep slide in reliability in the last couple of years--he's pretty upset about it. He sells about an equal number of Toyotas and Fords. Go to his dealership on any day and see what make is filling all of his shop bays--it's not Toyota.

It should stick in every Americans craw that foreign car makers, Toyota being one, consistently are beating the American manufacturers in overall reliability, but it's a fact of life. By the way, I've owned vehicles from all of the American manufacturers over the years, along with Toyota. The most reliable? You guessed it--the Toyota.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've been reading Consumer Reports reliability ratings and reports for over 30 years. Based on my experience, they've seldom missed the mark in their reliability reporting. A friend who is both a Ford and Toyota dealer privately confirmed to me Ford's deep slide in reliability in the last couple of years--he's pretty upset about it. He sells about an equal number of Toyotas and Fords. Go to his dealership on any day and see what make is filling all of his shop bays--it's not Toyota.

It should stick in every Americans craw that foreign car makers, Toyota being one, consistently are beating the American manufacturers in overall reliability, but it's a fact of life. By the way, I've owned vehicles from all of the American manufacturers over the years, along with Toyota. The most reliable? You guessed it--the Toyota.
Couldn't agree with you more.
Facts are Facts and they can't be argued.
Toyota (even with their recent declines) still makes a better car Than Ford or Chevy.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

You sound like a disgruntled Ford fanboy.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
The worst Toyota, or any other Japanese make is better than the best Detroit 3 vehicle. I blame the UAW, corporate greed and corruption, and just plain apathy on the Detroit worker's part.

I drove Detroit crap for decades. They were nice looking, but none could be called reliable by Toyota standards! I thought it was normal for cars to have problems all the time. When I finally experienced a truly good car, I knew I would never settle for Detroit junk again.

I know no one who once owned Detroit cars, and made the switch to Japanese cars that would ever buy another Detroit car.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You sound like a disgruntled Ford fanboy.

He demerits any article that states Japanese cars are better then American cars. I am sure if it was possible to find the opposite, he would be praising those articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive