Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
However the original intent of this thread was to point out how negligent the other driver was...
Which is true. BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
The fact the OP thinks what he did was OK is absolutely ridiculous.
That is also true.

I mean, yes, avoiding accident is good. But avoiding accident IN A SAFE WAY is the goal here. Given the description of the situation it would appear that it was entirely possible to avoid in a safer way than going around on the right shoulder. This is what people are trying to point out.

In other words: Two wrongs don't make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then allow me to recap for you:

No I don't have to disconnect the two events because one was the proximate cause of the other.
Poor driving was the cause of the other. If I'm driving and a car suddenly pulls out in front of me with minimal stopping distance, shame on the him. If I'm driving and can see an obviously distressed vehicle (emergency lights flashing and all) far down the road yet leave my cruise control engaged above the legal limit without slowing down until I pass, then shame on me.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 11-27-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Every car I've had has turn signals that function independent of brake lights. I understand that some vehicles use the same bulb for both functions but these are in the minority.
I still don't get the logic of driving with your flashers on just because its raining (or snowing). Are you trying to communicate that you are a hazard in bad weather? I took a defensive driving class in the 80s and they specifically taught not to do this.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I still don't get the logic of driving with your flashers on just because its raining (or snowing). Are you trying to communicate that you are a hazard in bad weather? I took a defensive driving class in the 80s and they specifically taught not to do this.
Can't say I know exactly why people have flashers on when it’s raining (I don't) but I assume that levels of severity in terms of weather conditions are dependent on the perception of the driver. Rain levels that I find safe enough to travel at high speeds may be way out of spec for someone else. A few weeks back I was driving through Nevada when it was snowing at night with chains on and I had my flashers on because I was traveling at 40mph while many others were blowing by at 50+ on winding roads. It served as a warning to others that I'm likely moving at much lower speeds than they are.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Kinda off topic but when there's serious rain on the road most drivers put on their hazards including me..
At some point you might figure out that having those bright lights flashing actually makes it harder for people behind you to see

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Every car I've had has turn signals that function independent of brake lights. I understand that some vehicles use the same bulb for both functions but these are in the minority.
Not at all the minority, I've had (and have) cars that share brake/turn bulbs, and see them all the time. irregardless, with your 4 ways on you have no turn signals. A bunch of idiots driving around in incliment weather with their 4 ways on serves no useful purpose.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
This is where a rear fog light would come in handy. I wish more cars were so equipped

Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Considering some of the responses here, and the fact that most people can't drive well in good weather, it's not surprising they think driving around with their 4 ways on is somehow useful.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not at all the minority, I've had (and have) cars that share brake/turn bulbs, and see them all the time. irregardless, with your 4 ways on you have no turn signals. A bunch of idiots driving around in incliment weather with their 4 ways on serves no useful purpose.
Although I generally agree (particularly in regards to rain) I believe I was using the blinkers correctly to warn traffic of my speed when driving in snow with chains on. A good number of vehicles flew by me without chains (likely locals with snow tires). I was sitting in the right most lane with no intention to turn anywhere or change lanes until I got to my destination.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
It seems some think that the hazards were very bright, or possibly even amber colored. I don't know how they came to that conclusion. I tried to explain it once before. I saw the car long before I got to it. I did not see the hazards on until the gap had been significantly closed. The hazards were red, and not very highly visibly on that older car. Plus, it was a nice sunny, bright day. The sun was not in my eyes, but it was bright enough to make it difficult to see the hazard lights flashing until it was too late.

Another thing, I had no idea the car was going that slow until we were right on top of it. All that I could tell was that others were passing him, just like the thousands of other cars that got passed that day. I used defensive driving training, found the "out" path and took it. I never came close to losing control, or even really close to the other car. I gave it an extra wide space by partially coasting on the grass. I did what I was trained to do. I've been driving 29 years and this has never ever happened this way before. This does not happen this way everyday. I have never had any problem slowing down, or stopping if necessary, so this idea that I will keep on doing this, or having this problem over and over is ridiculous. If that driver had moved over to the shoulder and driven there, then this thread would not happen.

Now, i am not, and have not, claiming that what I did was something that's perfectly fine to do whenever you feel like it. I only did this as defensive measure to avoid the collision. I successfully did so, and two families got home safely because I did it. There's nothing stupid about what I did. The stupid thing would have been to ram into him and kill us all. That seems to be what people are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive