Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times

Advertisements

They should do it if they truly want to keep Buick. They need a marque model badly (even if it has 4 doors). All they seem to have at the moment is small four banger econo box overpriced sedans. This won't go for less then 50k though, so it won't sell huge numbers. That's OK. As long as it isn't too much like the upcoming Chevy SS it will find some happy homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I shopped the Regal (GS) long and hard before buying my SHO and I gotta say it is a beautiful car. My biggest concern is that it would have been smaller than anything I had in years and was afraid of hating it after the novelty wore off. I could get behind a Grand National version of it.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The front end reminds me of Darth Vader.
Yes. Ugly. Instead of giving us this kind of stuff, I wish Buick would bring back a (non-retro) completely new Riviera coupe. I find it hard to believe that the market can no longer support a single personal luxury coupe, when they were the norm in the 70s and 80s, it seemed. I think that having one on the market would be great, and with changing demographics (singles, smaller families, and empty-nesters), I think a well executed one would sell, especially if there's little reason to hold the door open and have the seat plop forward to put someone in the back. I say a new Riv belongs under Buick's Christmas tree.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes. Ugly. Instead of giving us this kind of stuff, I wish Buick would bring back a (non-retro) completely new Riviera coupe. I find it hard to believe that the market can no longer support a single personal luxury coupe, when they were the norm in the 70s and 80s, it seemed. I think that having one on the market would be great, and with changing demographics (singles, smaller families, and empty-nesters), I think a well executed one would sell, especially if there's little reason to hold the door open and have the seat plop forward to put someone in the back. I say a new Riv belongs under Buick's Christmas tree.
I think the issue is that luxury costs money and Buick is not a strong enough brand to support an expensive luxury coupe. Audi, Mercedes and BMW all have pricey luxury coupes in their lineup. Standard features on todays low and midrange vehicles were luxury options not too long ago so it takes a lot to compete in todays true luxury segment.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think the issue is that luxury costs money and Buick is not a strong enough brand to support an expensive luxury coupe. Audi, Mercedes and BMW all have pricey luxury coupes in their lineup. Standard features on todays low and midrange vehicles were luxury options not too long ago so it takes a lot to compete in todays true luxury segment.
Good point. The European ones are priced out of too many people's reach. I believe one of the Cadillacs is now offered in coupe form, but stickers on these cars often exceed $50K. A Riviera in the $29K to $37K price range would be nice. But it can't look like a LaCrosse, a Regal or a Verano, which all run together in terms of looks.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No not yet as while I'm all for a hot RWD Buick. Let the GN/GNX name rest in peace. That car only had one flaw. No option for a proper gearbox.

And poor handling.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I think a RWD offering would be great for buick, by why reuse the GN and GNX names? I guess Buick is trying to stick to a more "standard" name structure than Cadillac is, and as such they have to pay some homage...but I think in doing so you can alienate some buyers, especially those who've come to love the GNX in the 20+ years since it's departure from the automotive scene...and a new version will be frowned upon if it doesn't smoke every model of corvette offered during the same model year...

I also don't really mind the new buick's going FWD coming from the Opel lineup. The new cars they're offering are pretty fantastic looking, and come from a great lineage too...

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The front end reminds me of Darth Vader.
Well it is a horrible photoshop job. Nothing official about that picture. It's like someone took a Pontiac G8 and photochopped a Buick out of it.

As for the information, I think it would be a great thing if they brought those names back as limited editions.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And poor handling.
In its defense it was only designed to go straight. (quarter mile at a time)

Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
In its defense it was only designed to go straight. (quarter mile at a time)
But of course anyone who only wished they could own one would be the first to knock one down. But you are right they were not designed to be corner carvers. But it's not as if you "can't" make one handle. My 2 cents in their defense, they're now 25 + year old cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive