Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
From the article, it seems to explain why GM installed a supercharger instead of a turbo on their great 3.8L V6. It said the FWD platform couldn't handle the torque of the turbo 3.8L V6. OK, so why couldn't they have continued engineering this turbo charged engine for the Camaro/Firebird or even Corvette?
Many have asked that. I believe the bean counters decided fwd and supercharging the 3.8 was the performance future and the F bodies had to have v8 power..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Bean counters. The very thing that destroyed gm and made them general mess after the early 70's. Before the 70's, engineers that cared and did good jobs got promoted all the way up to and running the company, then starting in the early 70's the bean counters got promoted over engineers. The rest is easy to see the disaster the bean counters made of the company that continues to this day. As for the GNX not being able to corner/handle as posted by someone else earlier, only if you don't know how to drive!

The GNX had an ultra exotic 4 link rear suspension with a ladder bar/ panhard rod. It was quite sophisticated for the time. it handled very good for a full frame sedan of the day

BuickGNX.com Suspension & Body

Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I know they are faster but only on certain cases (like the Nissan 200ZX Twin Turbo). It's not but because the shift lag doesn't interrupt the boost. If it was truly faster then more turbo motors would have auto exclusive options. Other than the EcoBoost motors that is it. You have the VW 2.0T (manual only in its high output form), the Mazdaspeed3 (manual only), Focus ST (manual only), Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STI (this generation is the first to even offer an automatic). You can make the GN/GNX faster with a manual tranny if you also tune it properly. If you don't change anything then of course it will be slower.

You can doubt all you like (but it won't all of the sudden wipe away my experience) and I know how many were made. I've driven a GNX and the owner let me go out with it. H believes that cars should be driven and not be garage queens. GNXs are going for $90k+ if it's $80k or lower then let me know so I can snatch one up. That's grand larceny because I could turn around the next day and get six figures for it.

wrong. The zero mileage ones cant get $85 right now. if you don't believe me, look at this one. I know the owner. He paid $85k a few years ago and just wants his $$ back and may take $75k if he gets that. Now go snatch it up and pay me a finders fee
Buick : Grand National GNX | eBay

and man trans GN's are NOT faster then the automatic ones. I have been racing them since 90. I know what Im talking about. Many have tried and NOT ONE worked out. Ive been the lead mechanic for one that run in the 7's back in the late 90's. Been doing this way longer then you have..

Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
1555 made. My close friend has the best ones in the country. Museum piece. Amazing cars but ride hard.

History of the 1989 Turbo Trans Am

And here is his Turbo Trans Am

1989 Pontiac Trans AM Indy Pace Car #396 - a set on Flickr
Oh my freakin goodness.......

Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
slight side track--didnt the GMC cyclone carry the same turbo motor but with awd which should have given that vehicle some corner ability?
No....however from what I read, the Syclone originally was suppoed to have used a GN engine but it ended up being a 4.3 liter with a turbo.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
Buick has a good looking lineup of cars. Hopefully this version of the GN will be available in a coupe. Dodge is enjoying great sucess with the Challenger. Buick could enjoy somthing similar.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
They need to get back to building a car that will go 100k like it should before giving trouble before trying to reinvent yet another "muscle car".....hello hello...gas prices ant coming down hello hello
Mine started going to the repair shop around the 40,000 mile mark.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Oh my freakin goodness.......

You would never believe what he paid for his TTA too.. Never..

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick
Currently in rumor. Story goes that it'll be based upon the same platform as the Cadillac ATS RWD platform. Possible engine choices include turbo charged 3.6L for the Grand National and V8 for GNX.
Nothing ever happened with this. Too bad.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Nothing ever happened with this. Too bad.
Rumors are still strong of a 2015 debut, possibly as a 2016 model year. Some of the rumored spec/details have changed since this thread started though. The "T-type" name is probably going to stay dormant. The Grand National would come with a choice between the 2.0T (which presumably would get the T-Type name if the do revive the name after all) or the 3.6L N/A V6 while the GNX trim line would receive the twin-turbo 3.6 recently introduced in the VSport trim line of the XTS and CTS and will also power the ATS-V. A Grand National/GNX seems even more likely with the recent release of the ATS Coupe. All of the architecture is already there or in development. All that's left to do is swap out Cadillac sheet metal and badges for Buick ones; it would seem a no-brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive