Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
You were 49 just a few months back and now you are 42! You can't even count how old you are! And we have to believe you did excellent at Cambridge MA.
Great catch, Alpha.
More evidence that Spark is a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Great catch, Alpha.
More evidence that Spark is a troll.
If you read my other posts, I stated that was a typo. I get punchy in the wee hours of the morning. Being born in 1970 does not make me 49.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
If you read my other posts, I stated that was a typo. I get punchy in the wee hours of the morning. Being born in 1970 does not make me 49.
If you read your own posts it's clear that this is not the only thing that makes you a troll

Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
If you read your own posts it's clear that this is not the only thing that makes you a troll
Some clarification would be appreciated. It is of absolutely no benefit for me to be a troll.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I feel like trying out a hybrid today. That is just a tiny perecent of all the lies that don't make any sense at all by sparky. It actually makes for some fun reading I would say. On a side note and surely not to digress Thailand does have a reputation for drug using even though I know you are just pretending to be in Thailand of current.
My GPS location is Decimal Minutes (GPS) : N7 59.08584 E98 19.83185 (If you decent camera it will tell you I hope you find facts humor.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
One huge surprise to me was (I recently read this, and suppose it is true) that the Chevy Volt had a ground clearance of 3.5 inches. What, the ????

I have a problem going into my driveway with a regular car. I'd have to park this thing in the street while in the 'burbs.

No, you wouldn't. I live with a Volt on a daily basis. The "ground clearance" is JUST the flexible air dam, designed (like the rest of the car) after 500 hours in the wind tunnel for maximum aero to improve efficiency.

Yes, the flexible, flat air dam CAN rub and flex on driveways and speed bumps. It's supposed to. Potholes are not any more of an issue with this car than any other regular car.

Oh, and unlike a Prius, I can commute and run errands all month and never use gasoline. If you think a Prius can beat that, at highway speeds, then feel free to buy one. I won't. I know a lot of Prius owners who have moved to Volts over the last year or so.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, you wouldn't. I live with a Volt on a daily basis. The "ground clearance" is JUST the flexible air dam, designed (like the rest of the car) after 500 hours in the wind tunnel for maximum aero to improve efficiency.

Yes, the flexible, flat air dam CAN rub and flex on driveways and speed bumps. It's supposed to. Potholes are not any more of an issue with this car than any other regular car.

Oh, and unlike a Prius, I can commute and run errands all month and never use gasoline. If you think a Prius can beat that, at highway speeds, then feel free to buy one. I won't. I know a lot of Prius owners who have moved to Volts over the last year or so.
I like the security of a gasoline engine. I drive mostly in NYC, so the highway advantage is of little use to me. What I would REALLY like is a hybrid or electric engine in a really small car, like the old VW bug. I used to love that car so much.

The ground clearance isn't crucial, but it is nice.
Also, we're not getting any younger and would like a car we could get in and out of easily. Some small cars really require contortions to get in and out of.

In 2015 there will be a whole new line of Prius's out there, as well as other offerings. Maybe we'll wait.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
I like the security of a gasoline engine. I drive mostly in NYC, so the highway advantage is of little use to me. What I would REALLY like is a hybrid or electric engine in a really small car, like the old VW bug.
Have you taken a look at the Fiat 500e?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I like the security of a gasoline engine. I drive mostly in NYC, so the highway advantage is of little use to me.
Then a car like the Volt would be even better as it doesn't use gas at all for commuting/errand running around town, up to 70-80 mph (unlike the Prius which kicks in it's gas engine when moving over 10-15 mph). BUT, the Volt does have a gas engine that generates electricity to drive the car hundreds of miles if you want it to.

Quote:
What I would REALLY like is a hybrid or electric engine in a really small car, like the old VW bug. I used to love that car so much.

Also, we're not getting any younger and would like a car we could get in and out of easily. Some small cars really require contortions to get in and out of.
These two statements contradict each other. A really small car will require contortions to get in and out of. Yet you want te hybrid/electric in a really small car.

Quote:
The ground clearance isn't crucial, but it is nice.
The point is, the Volt has the same real ground clearance as a Prius or most other cars. ONLY the air dam is low, and it's flexible and designed to rub. There's nothing preventing it from driving anywhere you want to drive. The original complaint is not valid.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Have you taken a look at the Fiat 500e?
The 500e is only available in California, so it won't be much help to them, nor will they have much chance to take a look at one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive