Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,418 times

Advertisements

OK - more info is needed from me.

It MUST have AWD.

Fun to drive means when I step on the gas - it goes. To many cars you step on the gas and barely anything happens! My husband has the G35x (2007) and that thing takes off when you hit the gas! But the technology is not up to date enough in the earlier years.

Fun to drive also means tight steering. I HATE it when you feel like you can turn the steering wheel half way before anything actually happens.

Budget is $25,000-$50,000. I think I will end up with something on the higher end, but if I can find something less expensive that I love - all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post

It MUST have AWD.

Fun to drive means when I step on the gas - it goes. To many cars you step on the gas and barely anything happens! My husband has the G35x (2007) and that thing takes off when you hit the gas! But the technology is not up to date enough in the earlier years.

Fun to drive also means tight steering. I HATE it when you feel like you can turn the steering wheel half way before anything actually happens.

Budget is $25,000-$50,000. I think I will end up with something on the higher end, but if I can find something less expensive that I love - all the better.
Audi S4
BMW 335i AWD
Volvo S60 T6
Cadillac ATS

These are all going to be toward the higher end of your budget, but should have everything you want.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post

It MUST have AWD.

Audi S4
BMW 335i
Volvo S60 T6
Cadillac ATS

These are all going to be toward the higher end of your budget, but should have everything you want.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would look at the following:

Volvo S60 R
Volvo S60 T6 if you wanted a slightly less expensive model that's not as sporty

Audi A6 Quattro (at the high end of your budget, but might work)

BMW 3/5 Series X-drive (5-series is at the high end of your budget for a 528 or 535, but might work if you could strike a deal)

Acura TL

With the Audi and BMW, buy the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it beyond the initial factory warranty period.

The Mercedes are going to be too expensive, since an E with 4Matic is in the mid $50s, the E350 Sport 4Matic would come closest, and would likely be low-mid $50s, with few extras, but then you have to buy the extended warranty as you would with BMW and Audi if you planned to keep it longer. A C-Class is too small, as Mercedes is not known for overly spacious interiors, especially with the C.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 AM

217 posts, read 360,845 times
Lightweights, all of you. Sedan means boat. Fun to drive means less than 10 mpg. Now if I can step out of the 80s for a moment, I believe VW Phaeton is making a comeback, Jaguar XJ are pretty big, and on the domestic side the Dodge Charger rules avoidance of the gas-guzzler tax (recognized by the EPA as an SUV).

Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Default Family car?

If I wre looking for a "family car" I would find a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Wagon in a no rust state for $3,000 and have someone make some modicifications:

Rebuild suspension with progressive springs, velocity sensitive shocks and sway bars front and rear

Install bigger brakes from Wilwood or others along with bigger appropriate wheels and good tires

Start with original 350 ci engine and auto tranny. Replace with LS-3 or 4 crate engine if the original ever wears out

Install new windshield, have the seats rebuilt with temperfoam padding and the carpets cleaned or replaced.

Total cost should still be under 25k.

I had one of these beasts and I could catch and pass sports cars on mountail roads and shutdown almost any rice rocket at the stoplight drags. It also delivered nearly 30 mpg at 75 on a flat expressway. It was also apparently invisible to the cops.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
I would recommend to go test drive the Acura TL SH AWD.
You may think the steering is not as tight when compared to the G37 but the TL is a bigger car and the corning on it, is amazing with the SH AWD for a car of this size. However, if you want to go into the 50's range, the Lexus GS is a good choice as well. The BMW 335Xi is a good choice but this car is about the same size as the G37.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Charger

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

FTW!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
and on the domestic side the dodge charger rules avoidance of the gas-guzzler tax (recognized by the epa as an suv).
not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive