Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If I were spending $125K or more, I'd choose between an Audi R8 and Porsche Carrera S or Turbo.
Even though I have a 911 Turbo and obviously a big fan if I had the money to buy new putting the R8 on the table I'd be taking a serious look at that. I haven't driven one so unless it has some aspect that I really didn't like I'd probably pick the R8. Just a very awesome car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM

57 posts, read 105,059 times
BMW and Audi are my favorite brands, I own a BMW myself (albeit an older model).

BMW in my opinion is the perfect combination of elegance and sportiness. And the slogan in their commercials really is no exaggeration - it IS driving pleasure (except during winter unless you have X-Drive, which I don't). If you've ever driven normal cars and then in comparison have the BMW sliding and taking you around the corner...yeah, driving pleasure.

Audi has made huge progress over the past years and have some very nice looking cars now, like the RS6.

Mercedes always had a taste of "ol' businessman" or "grandpa's" car (they are the ones mostly driving a MB), though the CLK is an awesome car, but that is their only model I like.

Porsche....not my style or type at all. It always reminds me of the beetle (not surprising, since they share the same history). I don't get the hype.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
Volkswagen, BMW, then Mercedes Benz. Get under the hood, learn to drive, then enjoy the largest German sedan you can afford.
I have done exactly that. I drive a 2010 BMW 760 LI. Twin turbo V-12.

This morning I got all of 8 MPG in city traffic. LOL!!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I will respond to the OP as follows: 4-way flashers on the road are legally used to warn others of danger. In your case, since you didn't know the reasons why the person was driving with the flashers on, there is not much you can do since there is a 50% chance that the driver had a good reason to warn others on the road about a dangerous situation.

Tractor (truck) drivers often do so when the situation warrants. For example, if the driver sees some road hazard ahead, including things that have to do with weather such as fog or ice on the road, some distracted driver ahead, an accident, and so forth. There are a great number of examples relating to 4-way flashers in the driving manuals (CDL and the rest).

I would certainly appreciate seeing the warning (4-way flashers) from other drivers ahead of me when the situation warrants their use.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
I would say that progression is a bit out-dated. Nowadays for professionals it's most likely Audi --> Audi/BMW (SUV) --> Porsche (Pana or 911) --> MB (E or S-class). I've found that here in SoCal, that most ppl who get into VW's tend to be a bit older and have intellectual/creative leanings, whether musicians, teachers, architects, start-up's etc. They're not the driven type-A lawyer/doctor/banker fresh-out-of-grad-school yuppies who seem to gravitate towards the Audi or BMW brands. Interestingly though, many Mid/Near-eastern professionals prefer MB no matter what the age.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skadi View Post
Porsche....not my style or type at all. It always reminds me of the beetle (not surprising, since they share the same history). I don't get the hype.
That's because you've never driven one on a track. Like Ferrari, Porsche's history is filled with road racing championships worldwide since their inception. Like Ferarri, they were one man's vision of what a racing sports car should be. The road cars only existed to pay for the racing cars, and the road cars benefitted from the development OF those racing cars.

I've owned a number of classic Porsches and had the good fortune to drive them and other Porsches on the track. The feedback from the suspension and steering and brakes are unparalleled. They do require a bit more skill to drive, at least the older ones did, but that skill was rewarded with an athletic ability that was incredible.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
Nope. Rolls-Royce is the world's flagship automaker.
Well, at least it's still German. LoL.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Well, at least it's still German. LoL.
You're joking right? Rolls Royce are built in England...

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM

217 posts, read 360,735 times
Sure is out dated. I mean, who can anymore go from a VW Beetle to a 318i with 100 HP to an inline six S-Class (still own).

Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Volkswagen > Mitsubishi, Honda, Honda, Mazda. That's how you do a proper German car ownership progression, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive