Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does your car mean to you?
What I drive is an extension of my personality 43 56.58%
Simply gets me from point A to point B 33 43.42%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I'm a car guy. I love cars. All of them. I'm also an artist, soyeah, I tend to pick cars on artistic merits, though as a car guy performance is important as well.

Sometimes i choose a car for it's intended role in my life. Sometime i choose a car and FIND a role for it to play in my life. hehehe. And i almost always modify my cars to make them match me more closely, whatever that may mean at any given time. Which is why I can own a work truck, a high hp race car, and a custom lowrider Beetle all at the same time. And when it comes to cars, I'm not a wallflower who would prefer to hide in obscurity.

ANY car can get me from A to B and back. I'm more interested in HOW it gets me there or how it makes me feel doing so, be that the rumbling of a powerful V8, or the feeling of a grippy sports car, or the comfort of a luxury car, or the style of a custom car, it HAS to be interesting to drive and/or to look at. Life's too short to limit myself to boring cars.

Great summation! Boring cars suck.....that is why they make rental cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Neither of your options. I choose vehicles based on an application I would like to fulfill; one for utility/hauling, another for comfortable highway cruising, a practical vehicle for daily driving, a sporty vehicle for having fun and of course a project vehicle (or several ). Some of those qualities can be combined, some cannot, in my opinion. Nor do I see vehicles as strictly A to B transporters, I have a great appreciation for the engineering and ingenuity that goes into them. Some simply interest me more than others.

I really don’t subscribe to the whole “extension of personality”. You can infer very little about me from what vehicles I own. Cars are just machines and they are available to anyone. I have no interest in skewing my true personality by means of a store bought product. Owning a truck does not make you tough, owning a luxury car does not make you sophisticated, owning a hybrid does not make you earth friendly, etc. It’s just another tried and true marketing technique that everyone has been buying into for nearly as long as cars have been in existence.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Neither of your options. I choose vehicles based on an application I would like to fulfill; one for utility/hauling, another for comfortable highway cruising, a practical vehicle for daily driving, a sporty vehicle for having fun and of course a project vehicle (or several ). Some of those qualities can be combined, some cannot, in my opinion. Nor do I see vehicles as strictly A to B transporters, they have to have and do everything I want and they need to do it well.

I really don’t subscribe to the whole “extension of personality”. You can infer very little about me from what vehicles I own. Cars are just machines and they are available to anyone. I have no interest in skewing my true personality by means of a store bought product. Owning a truck does not make you tough, owning a luxury car does not make you sophisticated, owning a hybrid does not make you earth friendly, etc. It’s just another tried and true marketing technique that everyone has been buying into for nearly as long as cars have been in existence.
Well said.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Choice 3 not mentioned in the poll...

Gets me from point A to point B safely!

Volvo - Side air bags, crash resistant passenger cage, all sorts of other built in safety features. It will even apply the brakes automatically if you are about to run into another vehicle (City Safety). Also will beep at you if you are about to back into something.

City Safety demo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBf8GBVmME

Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
I chose my current vehicle because it was a popular car in high school that I wanted but didn't get to own. Then fast forward 10 years later, I found one and could afford it at the time.

Also because I enjoy driving something different from every other car on the road, that I find physically appealing to the eye.
Attached Thumbnails
What does your car mean to you?-sedalia-6-11-11-003.jpg  

Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
I have had a variety of vehicles. After thinking about what I really needed in a vehicle I got a used areostar. They do everything I want. Easy to drive and very versatile.Not bad on gas and made to run 200 k with few problems. Last one made in 1997 but there are still good ones for sale. For as little as 2 k or less you can get one that will give you several years of good service.Plenty of used parts around too.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I own over 50 vehicles if you include motorcycles, tractors, trailers, etc.

Most have chosen me... in other words, I just happened upon a good deal or someone called and asked if I was interested in buying or just wanted to come get it...

Only one new car ever... it was when I was working overseas and too good a deal to pass up... had it 10 years now and it still looks showroom fresh after 60,000 miles.

I also belong to a list of car clubs so cars have always been more than transportation.

Early on, they were a means to earn money for school and latter provided a large social group centered around the old car hobby... my love of cars got me into the Rental Property Business because I needed garage space... but, that's another story.

My oldest is a 1905 Curved Dash Oldsmobile and my most common are a number of Fords... mostly Model A's with assorted Model T's.

It's always amazed me at why people get rid of cars... often, perfectly serviceable vehicles are cast off...

Sometimes for the smallest of reasons... like a timing chain or new starter. Other times, it is simply no longer wanted... the allure of a new shiny whatever in the garage.

Case in point for many of the cash for clunkers where absolutely nothing was wrong with them... they were just unwanted.

With all the cars I own... the one I've driven the most was an $800 Plymouth Valiant bought while in school... 100% reliable, easy to work on and I still have it today.

My Boss would chide me for driving the car and one day she told me, "I know good and well you can afford a better car and it is embarrassing to the company"

I told her I own many cars and I'm also frugal... saved the company a lot of money and she said, "Point taken"

I've driven original Shelby Cobras, Ford GT40's Panteras, Horseless Carriages, Brass Cars, Muscle Cars, Luxury Cars and just about everything in between... enjoyed it all and I really have an appreciation for all well maintained cars... the older the better.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-06-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Both... I'd rather not take the bus to Home Depot, or ride my bike to the grocery store. But I drive mostly for leisure, because I live near everything and don't need to drive very often. I have a few vehicles, 2 luxury brands and one moderately priced small SUV. Image played into the purchase of all of them, but my identity isn't wrapped up in them either.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Hmmm. I don't impart any part of my personality to having a truck but others do so. I bought it because I'd wanted a truck since about 1979 and finally could afford to have one along with a couple other vehicles.

People do get confused when they see me driving one of the Taurus wagons, the Forester or the 91 Lumina instead of the F150.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
A to B comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive