Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times

Advertisements

This will be used to levy a per mile tax on drivers. With cars getting better gas mileage and more hybrids out there, the government is looking at declining revenue. Solution is to charge per mile...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
So quick to throw away personal freedoms...

So you wouldn't have a problem with a camera in your house, or a "black box" installed in your computer that could be monitored by gov't officials?
You're going to try to make that comparison? Seriously?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I support this 100%. In fact, I signed up for Snapshot with Progressive Insurance whereby they monitored my driving for 1 month (and I in turn got a 30% discount on my insurance).

These black boxes can be used to punish those jackasses that drive recklessly and cause accidents.

Monitor me, please. And can you assign an government agent to follow me around. I wouldn't mind some personal protection.

If you don't do anything wrong, what are you afraid of?
If you were given a 30% drop in premiums after a month, Progressive was raping you to begin with. Or your math is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
He has a point, although a computer in the home should have a different expectation of privacy. Where does the government's look into my life end?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times
If this happens i'll be keeping my current vehicles forever. I don't typically do anything that I would need to be concerned with but the ways this information can be used against you is frightening to say the least.

I guarantee that this information will be used to track and report on your location and driving habits. This information could be used in the event of an accident or even given to the police to issue fines for speeding...

You can sit on you high horse and and say you have nothing to hide but I'm willing to bet you violated a number of traffic laws the last time you were behind the wheel.. It's almost impossible not to. I was coming back on the interstate last night around 8pm. We were cruising at 75 mph. I was getting passed by almost everyone on the road and I was already 20 mph over the limit. Doing the speed limit would have been dangerous to everyone on the road.

I'm not one for giving up my freedoms to save a couple of dollars.. You won't be any safer and you won't have any more money as a result.

Last edited by DELL37; 12-09-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
I would be against this just because one can't trust that the information will be used in a reasonable way. Would you be penalized by the govt or insurance companies if you register speeds 5mph over the limit, 10mph, 15mph? But what if those speeds are appropriate for the traffic at the time? Speed doesn't kill, speed differential kills.

Once you remove the common sense or discretionary inputs a system becomes ripe for abuse. Red light cameras are a classic example. Dumb down the system and you WILL get dumb results.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Actually, the comparison isn't that far off. While not as severe, it is a big step in that direction. I cannot believe people are so stupid. We are inevitably going to have black boxes or cameras in our homes one day, maybe 10-20 years from now, because of attitudes like this. If you have nothing to hide, why not allow the government to install cameras in your home?

If you are willing to happily allow the government or insurance companies to monitor you so that you can save 30% on insurance rates, you have issues. Besides, do you really think you're going to save a dime? Chances are you've just been getting screwed for years. The real reason they would install these boxes is to charge you more $, not less. Insurance companies are evil and they only care about profit. They will use these boxes to find ways to deny your coverage, charge you more, and pay you less in the case of an accident.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Even if this is well-intentioned it opens the door for abuse by both government and the insurance industry down the line. Bad idea.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Even if this is well-intentioned it opens the door for abuse by both government and the insurance industry down the line. Bad idea.
Exactly. They always spin it as something positive. They tell you it will help you. It will save you money. It will be more efficient. In the long run, you will get screwed and lose freedoms.

I am willing to bet, if implemented, that the insurance companies will raise your rates if you drive too fast or if you brake too hard. They will put you in a higher risk category. This is all about insurance companies wanting to control you and profit off of your daily behaviors. It is new-age fascism.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I support this 100%. In fact, I signed up for Snapshot with Progressive Insurance whereby they monitored my driving for 1 month (and I in turn got a 30% discount on my insurance).

These black boxes can be used to punish those jackasses that drive recklessly and cause accidents.

Monitor me, please. And can you assign an government agent to follow me around. I wouldn't mind some personal protection.

If you don't do anything wrong, what are you afraid of?
"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security"

Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The long term implicatons of how wrong this could go so very wrong is mind boggling!!

"Data recorders, better known as "black boxes," will be required in all new cars beginning September 2014 if federal regulators get their way.

Black boxes in cars raise privacy concerns | abc7.com

To me a 2004 Suburban is a "new" car but until I need one my 1993 Suburban will do just fine.

You just wait.....to force all vehicles off the road that don't have Black boxes either a box will be retro-fitted or fine will be levied that will be so expensive that scrapping the older car will be the only choice!
Not to change the subject here, but when I drove LTL and over the road trucks, some trucks were equipped with machines that would record what a driver did on the trip. I am guessing from that data, they could tell if a driver was overspeeding or over-revving the engine, braking properly and other things a driver did when operating the truck.

I have to agree that this is borderline privacy violating, insurance companies can use it against motorists they insure. As we all know, nobody is the perfect driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive