Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why should I? If anyone can get a thrill watching me live my mundane life or see that I waste far too much time on City-Data, more power to them.
Cool.. me and my homies will be looking in.. keeping an especially close eye on on your wife and daughters... since you think its OK and all..

Anyone that doesnt understand the danger of that slippery slope is a complete moron.

Last edited by LRPct; 12-09-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
I'd only agree to this if it was limited to the last minute (no more than 5 minutes) of driving with data saved for accident investigation. This would be handy for "swoop n squat" scams or people who put their car in reverse when they see an expensive vehicle behind them.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
What liberty am I giving up? I can still drive my car whenever I want. In fact, I'd say I am gaining liberty by reducing the likelihood that I will be injured by an irresponsible driver.
. . . and giving it back if this gives you a false sense of security.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 AM

17 posts, read 27,822 times
Default ASE Certified Master Tech for 25yrs

I find it odd that people are talking about this now. The first generations of airbags in the 80s had something calleed a Sensing Diagnostic Module or SDM for short it held crash data from loop deployment, and manufactures and the DOT could access limited data way back then. Seems like the media missed a couple decades before trying to get the public involved. Its a great way to tell what happens in a accident. I cant believe people care about this but yet get on the net and post and converse, knowing people can track you by you IP and MAC address. Gain more personal info about you in general. Whats wrong with knowing speed at initial wheel lock up, milliseconds from that to deployment, g forces, weather the passenger was buckled or the driver, throttle position and other data. It can be used by the manufacture to clear its named when the driver says something contrary to the facts of the matter, it could also be used to help assess blame on someone who killed or injured your family member. Its really irrelevent what people think about it, its been here for a long time, just get used to it and stop complaining.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Cool.. me and my homies will be looking in.. keeping an especially close eye on on your wife and daughters... since you think its OK and all..

Anyone that doesnt understand the danger of that slippery slope is a complete moron.
Isn't it true that people who have a television and connected to cable or satellite are spied upon all the time, inside that box for the tv is really a camera-transmitter?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
You're going to try to make that comparison? Seriously?
Absolutely. It is a very apt comparison.

Sent from Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,056,588 times
Quote:
Why should I? If anyone can get a thrill watching me live my mundane life or see that I waste far too much time on City-Data, more power to them.
You make light of it, but this is actually a serious issue. I really hope you are not this naive.

Sent from Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The long term implicatons of how wrong this could go so very wrong is mind boggling!!

"Data recorders, better known as "black boxes," will be required in all new cars beginning September 2014 if federal regulators get their way.

Black boxes in cars raise privacy concerns | abc7.com

To me a 2004 Suburban is a "new" car but until I need one my 1993 Suburban will do just fine.

You just wait.....to force all vehicles off the road that don't have Black boxes either a box will be retro-fitted or fine will be levied that will be so expensive that scrapping the older car will be the only choice!
What privacy is being invaded here? The fact that someone was driving like a maniac, not wearing a seatbelt, and made zero attempt to stop before crashing into and killing some innocent person? Don't you think that maybe the victims of such a driver, should be entitled to that type of information?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
I support this 100%. In fact, I signed up for Snapshot with Progressive Insurance whereby they monitored my driving for 1 month (and I in turn got a 30% discount on my insurance).

These black boxes can be used to punish those jackasses that drive recklessly and cause accidents.

Monitor me, please. And can you assign an government agent to follow me around. I wouldn't mind some personal protection.

If you don't do anything wrong, what are you afraid of?
So tell us how "snapshot" works please, as I'm interested in finding out more about it.

Is it a mini reader/recorder that plugs into the ALDL or ?? and did you drive like a granny to get a premium reduction?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
What liberty am I giving up? I can still drive my car whenever I want. In fact, I'd say I am gaining liberty by reducing the likelihood that I will be injured by an irresponsible driver.
So I guess you also have no problems with cameras in the streets "watching" for bad guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive