Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Its not apples and oranges. It is a stepping stone in the direction of putting black boxes in your home. It will happen one day because of people like you. A car is personal property and you're willing to allow the government and/or insurance companies to install a black box in your personal property. Would you want them to install a black box in your brief case or your wife's purse? You would be walking around public property possibly endangering others. You could beat someone up on the street, but if this black box recorded everything you do, it would deter you from injuring someone. You could sell drugs, but this black box would deter you from involving yourself in crime.

We already live in a surveillance society to a large degree. There are already cameras on every street corner in major U.S. cities and many smaller cities and towns have installed such devices. Unless you live in a remote or rural area, you can be monitored by government officials at any given time. Its not paranoia, its reality and you are living in denial.

Back to black boxes in cars... What benefit do you think it will produce? Who will use it to their benefit? The government? Insurance companies? Will it benefit you? If you really think a black box is going to save you on insurance, you are really a sucker. They will see that you exceeded a speed limit by 1mph or failed to come to a full stop at an intersection and will deduct points from your license. You are obviously very naive and have no clue how insurance companies operate. These black boxes would be exclusively used for the benefit of the insurance companies and would be used against you.
Amen.

This is exactly correct...insurance companies will use this information and its technicalities against its own paying customers to even possibly deny claims when the other person was at fault.

Also, another thing the 'snapshot-ites' need to be concerned about is what if the crash is one where both parties are 50% at fault? OR, what if the person using snapshot is deemed to be 1% at fault and 99% NOT at fault? They can say 'its partially your fault, so, we're going do deny the claim. OR, they'll pay the entire claim while raising your rates...even though the other guy was 99% at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I really did not want to read through all 60 posts, so pardon me if I say something already said.
Be it known, that newer vehicles ABS modules, anti lock brake system, record plethora of information continuously.
E.G., Camry ABS module will tell if you were accelerating or slowing down right before accident; vehicle speed; were you, or not, wearing seatbelts. Etc, etc. Don't need no black box.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Its not apples and oranges. It is a stepping stone in the direction of putting black boxes in your home. It will happen one day because of people like you. A car is personal property and you're willing to allow the government and/or insurance companies to install a black box in your personal property. Would you want them to install a black box in your brief case or your wife's purse? You would be walking around public property possibly endangering others. You could beat someone up on the street, but if this black box recorded everything you do, it would deter you from injuring someone. You could sell drugs, but this black box would deter you from involving yourself in crime.

We already live in a surveillance society to a large degree. There are already cameras on every street corner in major U.S. cities and many smaller cities and towns have installed such devices. Unless you live in a remote or rural area, you can be monitored by government officials at any given time. Its not paranoia, its reality and you are living in denial.

Back to black boxes in cars... What benefit do you think it will produce? Who will use it to their benefit? The government? Insurance companies? Will it benefit you? If you really think a black box is going to save you on insurance, you are really a sucker. They will see that you exceeded a speed limit by 1mph or failed to come to a full stop at an intersection and will deduct points from your license. You are obviously very naive and have no clue how insurance companies operate. These black boxes would be exclusively used for the benefit of the insurance companies and would be used against you.
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!

Tell me... WHO is benefiting from these EXACT SAME BLACK BOXES being installed in Semi Trucks? (You're probably not aware of the FACT that they've been in trucks for well over a decade.) Are truckers suddenly disappearing because Big Brother caught them doing something naughty? Are there paranoid truckers who have black boxes being installed in their homes? Are there Predator Drones tracking their every move, waiting to nail them with a smart bomb if these truckers drive more than 8 hours in any given day?

But yeah, I suppose you're right. I'd rather just leave things as they are, where 30% or more of drivers don't have insurance, or a valid license and/or are driving drunk. It's SO much better this way, isn't it?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This is only somewhat true because you're FORCED to have car insurance...so, you need SOMEONE and those companies know it.
If EVERYBODY had car insurance, EVERYBODY'S rates would go DOWN.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Amen.

This is exactly correct...insurance companies will use this information and its technicalities against its own paying customers to even possibly deny claims when the other person was at fault.
So tell me... Are insurance companies CURRENTLY using this information against truck drivers?

Please PROVE to me that they are, or admit that you're being a Chicken Little, submissively saying "Amen" to another Chicken Little.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
So tell me... Are insurance companies CURRENTLY using this information against truck drivers?

Please PROVE to me that they are, or admit that you're being a Chicken Little, submissively saying "Amen" to another Chicken Little.
I dont know what Insurance companies are using or not using, i dont work for them or know much about what goes on behind the scenes. The only thing i have is logic and the logic that insurance companies will deny a claim if there's anyway they possibly can.....and, with more information and more specific information, they have more at their fingertips to either deny the claim, or raise the rates.

Im just skeptical that insurance companies have John Q Public's best interest at heart with these black boxes.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
It is very obvious that there are many people who are quite glad to give up their privacy and freedoms. It is freakin' scary that these people accept it and actually vote.
I'm very concerned about my privacy, and I'm not glad to give it up.

Now somebody, please explain to me what privacy I'm giving up by having one of these devices in my car?

All these devices do is document your liability in case of an accident. All of the data is constantly being overwritten every 5 - 10 seconds, until your car is involved in a collision. Even then the box is still your properly. It belongs to you.

Even if the data in the black box somehow or other gets used against you in a court, that same information could be obtained from other sources. Such as from eyewitnesses, or traffic investigators measuring your skid marks. Is a cop measuring your skid marks after an accident also a violation of your privacy?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Comparing big trucks driven by people WHOSE EMPLOYERS need to track this data (possibly for pay, taxes, estimates, etc) to putting it in every vehicle is just flat out stupid.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The long term implicatons of how wrong this could go so very wrong is mind boggling!!

"Data recorders, better known as "black boxes," will be required in all new cars beginning September 2014 if federal regulators get their way.

Black boxes in cars raise privacy concerns | abc7.com

To me a 2004 Suburban is a "new" car but until I need one my 1993 Suburban will do just fine.

You just wait.....to force all vehicles off the road that don't have Black boxes either a box will be retro-fitted or fine will be levied that will be so expensive that scrapping the older car will be the only choice!
Those Event Data Recorders (EDR's) have been in most cars for some time now, heres an article from 2003 and i'm sure data collection since then has been significantly upgraded..
CBC News Indepth: Black box

Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Amen.

Also, another thing the 'snapshot-ites' need to be concerned about is what if the crash is one where both parties are 50% at fault? OR, what if the person using snapshot is deemed to be 1% at fault and 99% NOT at fault? They can say 'its partially your fault, so, we're going do deny the claim. OR, they'll pay the entire claim while raising your rates...even though the other guy was 99% at fault.
People don't need to have accidents or tickets to have their rates jacked up, insurance companies do that now. And, when the consumer calls to complain and to ask why, they simply tell the customer "oh, we had alot of claims last year", then the consumer says, "well, I didn't" and the insurance company says "we raised everybody's rates".

I've always had the opinion that insurance companies deliberately lower their introductory rates to get new customers hooked, then year after year, they increase their premiums. When we moved back to Wisconsin 3 years ago, our premiums were $58.00 a month, now they are $64.00 a month. If the insurance company does this to 4 thousand customers in my area, it adds up.

And yeah, being without auto insurance coverage is like planned financial suicide. It is a must have. I'm not a communist, but I think all states should require auto insurance.

Quote:
ell me... WHO is benefiting from these EXACT SAME BLACK BOXES being installed in Semi Trucks? (You're probably not aware of the FACT that they've been in trucks for well over a decade.) Are truckers suddenly disappearing because Big Brother caught them doing something naughty? Are there paranoid truckers who have black boxes being installed in their homes? Are there Predator Drones tracking their every move, waiting to nail them with a smart bomb if these truckers drive more than 8 hours in any given day?
Oh my gosh big george, if you only knew how many truckers have violated DOT rules, laws and regulations and cost the people (companies or corporations) hundreds of thousands of dollars and other penalties. A transportation company can be shut down for repeated violations. Big Brother (government) takes the transportation business very seriously. It can put a company on the ropes. One that I know of was CP America some years back, they repeatedly violated government laws.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 12-10-2012 at 03:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive