Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
This reasoning is not only very, very selfish but it is also very foolish in that closed minds learn nothing new so they are subject to rot.

I really don't care what you read ,or why you read it since that is your cross to bear, what is important here is that you have no right , in any form, to censor what any other member says as long it is polite and follow the TOS.

In case you missed it I said not one word about bicycles. If it was said the author of the story said it. If you don't want to read this story ,then don't,since no one is holding your feet to the fire to read or comment about anything here.
The reasoning is truthful! You're trying to convince people who are largely happy with driving their vehicles! I like having a sports car and a new truck ever few years; I can afford it and I'm not going to listen to anyone tell me differently.

I have every right to criticize your foolish and ridiculous posts; you have every right to disagree with my statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The reasoning is truthful! You're trying to educate to a different view people who are largely happy with driving their vehicles! I like having a sports car and a new truck ever few years; I can afford it and I'm not going to listen to anyone tell me differently. NO one is trying to "tell" you how to spend your money only offer a different viewpoint to consider if you wish to.

I have every right to criticize your foolish and ridiculous posts; you have every right to disagree with my statements. To call my post "foolish and ridiculous" reflect unkindly on you for being so closed minded to an open discussion.

Now would be a good time to closed this tread since the topic is long lost being reduced to tit for tat from those thread killers on this forum.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

Now would be a good time to closed this tread since the topic is long lost being reduced to tit for tat from those thread killers on this forum.
This entire thread was over before it started because it's basically the same thing as going into a forum for advanced mathematics and starting a thread about how pointless and sucky math is, or into an art forum and starting a thread on how not collecting art or getting season passes to museums will save you money each year: no one wants to hear it, or even cares. Wrong forum for it.

If you want a discussion on it, then go post it in the cycling forum; it'll get a better reception. However, I wonder if that was your intended goal...?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Oh, no. People are disagreeing with me and actually think cars are useful things. Some seem to even enjoy spending their hard-earned money on the devil's devices. Quick, better call for censorship and shut it down since the "thread killers" aka "the censors" aka "anybody who disagrees with me" posted on my thread. The funny thing is I glanced through and never once a found a post in your thread where you once even attempted to debate anything, Gramps. It's all just mudslinging and ad hominem arguments against the "spoiled public who can't see past their camshafts to the light." Interesting how the worst offender for this tit for tat is you. 415 and Speedy at least contributed something to their positions.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This entire thread was over before it started because it's basically the same thing as going into a forum for advanced mathematics and starting a thread about how pointless and sucky math is, or into an art forum and starting a thread on how not collecting art or getting season passes to museums will save you money each year: no one wants to hear it, or even cares. Wrong forum for it.

If you want a discussion on it, then go post it in the cycling forum; it'll get a better reception. However, I wonder if that was your intended goal...?
The OP was totally Automotive related, that is why it is posted in the 'AUTOMOTIVE' section of CD.
6 pages of people who are mostly complaining about it, but, I can say with certainty that no one was forced to reply to the thread by their boss or an angry gunman.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
The OP was totally Automotive related, that is why it is posted in the 'AUTOMOTIVE' section of CD.
It was "automotive" related in the same way that posting an article about the virtues of a meat-based diet over a plant-based diet in a vegetarian forum is "totally Vegetarian related."

Quote:
6 pages of people who are mostly complaining about it, but, I can say with certainty that no one was forced to reply to the thread by their boss or an angry gunman.
And you and Gramps scratching eachothers' backs over how much more intelligent and progressive you are than anyone else here.

Are you "car free," or "car light?"

Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It was "automotive" related in the same way that posting an article about the virtues of a meat-based diet over a plant-based diet in a vegetarian forum is "totally Vegetarian related."

And you and Gramps scratching eachothers' backs over how much more intelligent and progressive you are than anyone else here.

Are you "car free," or "car light?"

No, Gramps and I are discussing Micky D's versus Vegan. Almost like nu-Camaro Vs. Scion 240z semi-clone.
Same subject, different religion.
I am car light. I worked for car magazines in the 70's and 80' and did development work on these 6 years ago:

In fact, my fingerprints will be found on this exact car.

That said, the car and making it our god is not something I approve of. To keep it relative to your argument here, a meat diet with no veggies is not good for you. I use a car three or four times a year for interstate travel. I know not all people can do that, but I also know, most can cut 500,000 calories out of their diet a month. As I elaborated earlier, I am not anti-car, just anti stupid. Now that cars have become our religion, a lot stupidness has interjected itself into the culture. Remove the stupid, and even the most rabid anti-car person will most likely be Ok with them.

5k on the single speed bicycle last year - 1200 on a rental, Ford Focus, 40 miles on my own unregistered car

Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
No, Gramps and I are discussing Micky D's versus Vegan. Almost like nu-Camaro Vs. Scion 240z semi-clone.

Same subject, different religion.
You're quite aggressively touting vegan over McD's when you're the "vegetarian" who "just has a McChicken sandwich a couple times a month."

The latter is totally fine; someone's dietary habits are their own business, just as someone's car/PT/cycling habits are their own - it's a lifestyle decision that everyone makes.

It becomes hypocritical when you all of a sudden start to insult everyones' intelligence. Over on the cycling forum, GP once told me that I should "send [him] my name and address so that he can purchase life insurance on [my] worthless arse." Because evidently, cycling while wearing a pair of Dr Martens and Levi's an not wearing a reflective neon vest makes me "worthless."

What then followed was a discussion on the physics of light and the human eye in which he was completely and totally lost and backtracked.
"Well, how come police traffic guards and air force ground crews wear reflective vests?"
"Because they don't wear blinking lights. I have four different blinking lights on my bike."
"Those lights are worthless! The only light setups that are worth anything are DIY setups..."
"My bike headlight is 400 lumens."
"..."
If he actually knew what he was talking about, it'd be somewhat bearable to be talked down to by him, but because he's just hyperbolic and offensive, it's unpleasant.

Combining this lack of knowledge with the hypocrisy of not even really living up to the standard that people are being mocked for not living up to, it borders on the comically absurd. Isn't there a "jokes" forum on CD?

Quote:
I am car light. I worked for car magazines in the 70's and 80' and did development work on these 6 years ago:

In fact, my fingerprints will be found on this exact car.

That said, the car and making it our god is not something I approve of. To keep it relative to your argument here, a meat diet with no veggies is not good for you. I use a car three or four times a year for interstate travel. I know not all people can do that, but I also know, most can cut 500,000 calories out of their diet a month. As I elaborated earlier, I am not anti-car, just anti stupid. Now that cars have become our religion, a lot stupidness has interjected itself into the culture. Remove the stupid, and even the most rabid anti-car person will most likely be Ok with them.

5k on the single speed bicycle last year - 1200 on a rental, Ford Focus, 40 miles on my own unregistered car
Awesome!

I'm also car light.

So far, this month, from the 1st till today, the 19th, I have driven a total of 26 miles in my car. I had to make two trips to a framing store to get some 22x30 pieces I finished frame for a client, and I can't transport six 22x30 frames on my bike. Now, I could certainly get one of those cool bike cargo trailer things, but they're so jumpy and poorly-cushioned that there's a good chance the glass would break, damaging the artwork, wasting the money I fronted to get them framed, and totally displeasing and letting down my client. Instead, I drove. Last night, I had to go to a Christmas party and there were insane winds that nearly knocked me off my bike on my way back from the art supply store earlier in the day. I have no more immediate plans to drive this month and see no reason to. I've already put about 600 miles on my bike this month and there are still twelve days left to go. I'm thinking I'll probably crack 1k because of a few social obligations that will require longer rides.

I also am a strict vegetarian who hasn't consumed any meat, on purpose, for the last 13 years. Basically everything I eat is organic, locally-sourced where possible, and non-GMO. I only eat dairy maybe three, four times a month, but I've never referred to myself as "almost vegan" or "dairy-light." I'm just a "vegetarian." My entire home uses CFL's and LED's. I am probably one of the greenest people on this board, and this is the first time that I've ever mentioned any of the above, because who cares? I come to the car section to talk about cars, because I think they're cool, with other people who think cars are cool. If I wanted to enthuse about the ideas and lifestyle changes I've made in the pursuit of a greener life, I'll go to the green living forum.

I've gotten tons of PM's from people asking for recipes and telling me that I've inspired them to try being vegetarian from posting pictures of my food up in the food and beverage forum - not because I've started condescending threads attempting to tor-shame people into thinking that they're less than me but should aspire to be more like me, but because I've been friendly, agreeable, and approachable with that particular personal choice.

The attitude that you two cop against others does much to repulse anyone who reads what you say from your intended goals.

Remove the stupid? Absolutely. If stupid drivers were less stupid, more sensible about the recreational use of their cars, and the ones who are insecure in their masculinity or personal worth would stop arbitrarily antagonizing cyclists and pedestrians, then many cyclists and car-free folk would have less an issue with drivers. The same way that drivers would have less an issue with carfree idealists if they themselves "removed the stupid" and stopped disobeying traffic laws, disrupting the flow of traffic, and talking down to a mother of three who has to drive her kids to school and buy and transport groceries for her family for "being wasteful" or a "sheep" because she bought a Ford Edge.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Everyone here should visit the Cycling section of the Hobby forum and fill it with threads about their favorite Car or truck and how driving is much better than riding a bicycle.
No, that's for a**holes.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 AM

42 posts, read 102,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreepingwolf View Post
Even though I think the climate may be changing, I just can't buy into the whole "Everyone needs to get rid of their car/drive a hybrid/ride a bike or we'll all die" hype.
Well, I'm looking at emissions and drilling. I'd I have to justify drooling over Teslas, somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive