Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 PM

217 posts, read 360,872 times

Advertisements

I have an inline six with a circular, top mounted, intake. This air filter housing draws through a single draw tube facing forward. The muffler is California non-rusted, and like the intake, is OEM.

Problem is when puttering around a parking lot at 5 mph creates a deep drone, enough to pop your ears. Normally, the car is practically silent in any other condition of driving, owing to the I-6 and heavily engineered sound damping construction. Inflation adjusted $90k car, so I feel right in complaining (just not to the manufacturer on a 25 year old car).

Any suggestions to dampen the sound from the intake? If not, I'll have to replace the worn under-hood insulation pad (probably the problem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
I have an inline six with a circular, top mounted, intake. This air filter housing draws through a single draw tube facing forward. The muffler is California non-rusted, and like the intake, is OEM.

Problem is when puttering around a parking lot at 5 mph creates a deep drone, enough to pop your ears. Normally, the car is practically silent in any other condition of driving, owing to the I-6 and heavily engineered sound damping construction. Inflation adjusted $90k car, so I feel right in complaining (just not to the manufacturer on a 25 year old car).

Any suggestions to dampen the sound from the intake? If not, I'll have to replace the worn under-hood insulation pad (probably the problem).
Are you sure it's the intake? A drone is most often caused by the exhaust.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Are you looking to "cover up" the sound, or eliminate the root cause?

If it is the intake, and you want to eliminate the problem; you will have to find the solution experimentally through different configurations that modify the acoustics of the intake plumbing. You could try installing resonator boxes in-line or simply jutting off the intake piping. Have you considered any aftermarket intake solutions?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Are you looking to "cover up" the sound, or eliminate the root cause?

If it is the intake, and you want to eliminate the problem; you will have to find the solution experimentally through different configurations that modify the acoustics of the intake plumbing. You could try installing resonator boxes in-line or simply jutting off the intake piping. Have you considered any aftermarket intake solutions?
I can't speak for all aftermarket sets but from my experience, aftermarket usually means more noise unless it's something like the CPE intake for my Genesis Coupe which encloses the filter in a box fed by the factory snorkel (much like the OEM intake box but with a different filter/piping design).

Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
That's why they have resonators on newer vehicle intakes. Pop the hood and look at it - see, usually oblong, chamber attached to plastic intake? That's the one.
Though I understand annoyance but, same time, is it something that is original to the vehicle and tinkering with it only lower the value?
Besides, it kinda sounds cool. Like I said - I do understand, but then stop next to any Harley - guys pay millions to make them sound more and more obnoxious.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM

217 posts, read 360,872 times
Using an OEM parts catalog, I discovered the airbox is missing 6 rubber buffer mounts. Right now it's pretty much floating over the intake manifold, like a big drum skin.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
See... Good you didn't ruin vehicle original look - and value. Should be easy fix then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive