Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if these have been posted or mentioned yet or not, but its a new test being conducted by IIHS. This test is more severe than the moderate overlap off-set crash test.

Looks like automakers will be having to improve in this test as many cars are failing in this test.

Some good performers are the new '13 Honda Accord ('12-'13 Toyota Camry performed poorly and the Prius was horrible) and another good one was the Suzuki Kizashi (though it only had an acceptable in the roof strength test). Many cars however did receive an acceptable rating, while some which are brand new designs only earned a marginal rating (new Malibu), which is still better than the fairly new Camry design. I wish they had of tested the new Civic.

IIHS news release
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM

More research, apparently this test has been around for a couple of years... here is a '09 Civic in a "pole" test, which seems the same as the small overlap test that the IIHS is now doing. There is also a video of an '05 Civic that also did well. They may have just did that recently, but used an older car.

On this '09 Civic, the passenger cage holds up very well... it did much better than the new Prius and Camry in the IIHS test.

2009 Honda Civic Vs. Rigid Pole Frontal Impact - YouTube

Then an '05 Civic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-kfneRqdI

Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
From Autoline's John McElroy:

"The IIHS just found a new way to destroy cars. The organization recently developed a test to simulate crashing into a tree, with numerous models failing with flying colors.

"The IIHS says this is going to help reduce the number of deaths from frontal crashes, but if you ask me it looks like this test is just designed to peel the side off of a car..."

Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I'll just leave this year before the billy bad asses of the world talk about how tough their full size trucks are.

1997-2003 Ford F-150 crash test (IIHS) - YouTube

Crash Test 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 IIHS (Impolite) - YouTube

Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'll just leave this year before the billy bad asses of the world talk about how tough their full size trucks are.

1. They have height and weight on their sides. My full-frame Silverado from that time period isn't a great crash test example either, but I've been rear-ended a number of times by passenger cars. They go under the rear bumper, minimizing my damage and maximizing theirs (totalled a Neon once when he broke motor mounts ) and I imagine that would happen in a frontal crash (never hit anything worse than a shopping cart). I realize the F-150 offset test turned the F-Series into an E-Series, but if that F-150 went up against a passenger car the results would have been kinder.

2. Seen the new test of the VW CC? The door fell off. LOLOLOL...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
1. They have height and weight on their sides. My full-frame Silverado from that time period isn't a great crash test example either, but I've been rear-ended a number of times by passenger cars. They go under the rear bumper, minimizing my damage and maximizing theirs (totalled a Neon once when he broke motor mounts ) and I imagine that would happen in a frontal crash (never hit anything worse than a shopping cart). I realize the F-150 offset test turned the F-Series into an E-Series, but if that F-150 went up against a passenger car the results would have been kinder.

Many things people fail to consider with trucks, especially older ones, are the poor brakes and rollover risk. Even today's trucks take 20 to 40 more feet to stop from 60 than typical cars.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Now that you mention it I've seen many fatal accidents where car leaves the road and impacts a tree sideways and the driver or passenger(s) are killed. A local driver was just killed by hitting a pole. From the back the car didn't look too bad but the pole sheared the car like a knife in the front.
Thats one thing I hate about all new cars, they all have the center consoles and front bucket seats. Bench seats in the front are much safer and prevent leg injuries to the front seat occupants.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post

Yeah and these older trucks posted is actually the "moderate offset" crash that has been around by the IIHS since 1995. Most all 2005+ model vehicles now perform excellent in this test, which is why I think the IIHS started this new small overlap test which is an even more severe test than the moderate overlap offset crash since it puts most of the force only on the A-pillar and bypassing the cars frontal frame. Many people are confusing these small overlap tests with the moderate overlap tests that have been around since '95.

I actually seen a non-IIHS test of a newer Dodge Ram (2011) in this test and it actually performed very well. Here is that video... this was actually performed by NHTSA, so they seem to be doing these tests as well. They do it differently however, they have a very fast moving barrier moving toward the stopped car. Here is the small overlap for a 2011 Dodge Ram by NHTSA:

2011 (Dodge) RAM 1500 NHTSA 7° Angle 20% Overlap Frontal Impact (60 Mp/h - Moderate Injuries) - YouTube

Oh and here is the Smart Car in the test performed by NHTSA...

Smart Car Fortwo | 2011 | 20% Small Overlap Crash Test | NHTSA | CrashNet1 - YouTube

Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 PM

They finally released the test for the 2013 Honda Civic... did very well, much better than the new Camry. Not too many cars doing well in this very demanding test right now. Both the Civic and Accord got good ratings, as well as the Subaru Legacy and a few others.

new 4dr Civic

2013 Honda Civic 4-door small overlap test - YouTube

new 2dr Civic

http://youtu.be/96dNhTNhTow

and the new Malibu

2013 Chevrolet Malibu small overlap test - YouTube

and the all-new Mazda 6 - rated acceptable...

http://youtu.be/_AbU_ZmXWkw

new Legacy

http://youtu.be/1gYuxfnwK8Y

new Camry - POOR

http://youtu.be/LNG7Nm9XDko

new Kizashi

http://youtu.be/WoLSu5uF0ws

new Jetta

http://youtu.be/CVpyV-ng6Eo

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 03-23-2013 at 12:04 AM..

Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
another good one was the Suzuki Kizashi (though it only had an acceptable in the roof strength test).
Unfortunately, there is not much else to recommend about that car, which is essentially just something to yawn about.
And, with Suzuki's impending departure from the US market, these cars will be left with little or no "factory support" for future problems.
But, they should be very cheap in the near future if someone wants a low-priced, fairly uninteresting car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive