Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times

Advertisements

I had one do this earlier this year which is illegal in Texas. There was a cop in the right lane (I was in the middle) and the guy is going about 30mph in bumper to bumper traffic. He didn't see the cop but once the motorcycle passes me I made sure to not move so the cop could try and catch up.

Lane splitting in my book is a no no.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Are you talking about when I was traveling on a four lane road and there were bikers riding on the soldier so I started to move a little to the left so I could give them more room but luckily looked in my rearview mirror and saw the biker coming behind me at about 100 mph going in between me and the car in the lane to my left. Then I saw the sign that said, "Share the road." You don't really want to know the words that came out of my mouth about those bikers, do you?

All I wanted was my share of the road back. I think it should be against the law for bikers to travel anything but single file in the center of the lane and leave a proper stopping distance between bikes. That way we could all be sharing the road equally.

Safe drivers should not have to deal with idiots trying to ruin everybody's day.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
I dont give tihs what people think, me and my SV650 are going to lane split all day if we want to. When I'm driving my cage I dont mind motorcyclists lane splitting.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I seldom lane split myself, but I'll move over in the lane whenever I see a motorcyclist who is splitting or following close enough it looks like they want to pass. It's safer to ride slightly faster than the flow of traffic, so I know why they do it. If you're just sitting in the flow of traffic, it's too easy to disappear into a blind spot. Your awareness of what's going on behind you on a bike is also more limited than in a car as the mirrors are where near as effective, so the "out" you thought you had is often occupied by traffic if you're going at or under the prevailing speed.

Then there's your typical squid who will go blasting through cars haphazardly. I watched one of those who obviously had very minimal bike control more weaving like a drunken tard through traffic than splitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Less than a mile down the road I passed by him picking his bike up off the middle of the freeway. Can't say it surprised me.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Lane splitters are the equivalent of those folks who ride bicycles on public roads with the mentality that the rules of the road don't apply to them and everyone else should look out for them (since when they first learned to ride a bike they were little kids and everyone DID look out for them for that reason - they never get past that mentality).

Sorry, your excuses don't wash.
But it is legal. How can you do something that is legal and pretend the law doesn't apply to you?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
It's illegal in Texas, and Texas is the only rules that count. It's zipper merging all over again. Apparently that's not common in Texas, therefore it's illegal and unsafe everywhere were it is common, legal, and encouraged.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
I believe there's a misunderstanding here of what lane splitting and reckless driving is.

Lane splitting legality question on CHP website, CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

"Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

From CA DMV handbook, https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/shr_slow_veh.htm

"Motorcycles may travel faster than traffic during congested road conditions and can legally travel in the unused space between two lines of moving or stationary vehicles; this is commonly called "lane splitting."

This example is not lane splitting, it is reckless driving and is probably what some of you guys have experienced and are against.

High Speed Lane Splitting Caught By Cop - YouTube

Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
I've been an avid biker for over 40 years and I think it's crazy! I personally wouldn't risk it even if it were legal where I live. It's scary enough sharing the road with people in cages texting and gabbing on their phones.

California could save a lot of money not bothering to paint lanes on their roads if they don't mean anything.

I'm also sure that around here some dude in a pickup would swing his door open on you if you attempted it.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, so as near as I can tell, it's legal in two states (and I'm still boggled that the State of the Nanny allows it given that they appear to want to wrap everyone in cotton wool and not allow them to do anything that they can even PRETEND is dangerous), and illegal in all the rest. What does that tell you?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM

337 posts, read 896,940 times
I once again find most of the criminals on this forum (those who would spit on a rider, open their doors, etc) are either from Texas or SC lol. Like I stated in the OP, California only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive