Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, so as near as I can tell, it's legal in two states (and I'm still boggled that the State of the Nanny allows it given that they appear to want to wrap everyone in cotton wool and not allow them to do anything that they can even PRETEND is dangerous), and illegal in all the rest. What does that tell you?
That youre an awful slow learner, since that part was discussed on the first page.. nevermind the fact that youre a control freak now it all.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
"More or less" California only was the exact wording used in the original post. And I wouldn't do any of those things, you're making a huge assumption because, apparently, you're a lane splitter - I just, as a longtime admirer of motorcycles (street, off road, and racing), as well as as a driver, find the practice of lane splitting stupid, arrogant, and, as I said in my initial response, it gives motorcycles a bad name and a really resent that.

My comment and question regarding two states versus all the rest still stands.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Okay, so as near as I can tell, it's legal in two states (and I'm still boggled that the State of the Nanny allows it given that they appear to want to wrap everyone in cotton wool and not allow them to do anything that they can even PRETEND is dangerous), and illegal in all the rest. What does that tell you?
It tells me that 48 states don't trust their licensed drivers to pay attention to what goes on around them and that we need to stop issuing drivers licenses to anyone with a pulse and a $20 bill.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM

337 posts, read 896,830 times
Quote:
"More or less" California only was the exact wording used in the original post. And I wouldn't do any of those things, you're making a huge assumption because, apparently, you're a lane splitter - I just, as a longtime admirer of motorcycles (street, off road, and racing), as well as as a driver, find the practice of lane splitting stupid, arrogant, and, as I said in my initial response, it gives motorcycles a bad name and a really resent that.

That is your prerogative to find it stupid, unsafe or whatever. But I do also doubt you have ever lived in CA. Whether these cagers like it or not, you best believe on a hot summer day every single one of the riders here is LEGALLY taking full advantage of not having to sit in traffic. I laugh when the cages say it pisses them off or it's unfair too. They're in a metal box with air conditioning. I bet if you asked any one of them if they could legally not have to sit in traffic they would jump on the opportunity.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:

Thanks for reinforcing the "control freak" comment. When a biker splits lanes in Cali it has no effect on you in Texas OR your horses..

Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
I once again find most of the criminals on this forum (those who would spit on a rider, open their doors, etc) are either from Texas or SC lol. Like I stated in the OP, California only.
as i may be the only one from SC on this thread and am not a criminal "lol", and one who did not state about doing anything against a biker; my comment being that my experience here was at near hiway speeds with dumasses splitting cars.... if anyone out there is stupid enough to drive a bike like that (these riders had no helmets as well), then imo they get no sympathy from me if something happens. But if at low speeds and it's the law then they have the right to part those cars whether i agree or not.

If i was on 2 wheels, i'd make sure i had some space around me, regardless of any rules....... as we all know not all drivers are at the same level of skill and awareness

Old 01-01-2013, 01:13 PM

337 posts, read 896,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
as i may be the only one from SC on this thread and am not a criminal "lol", and one who did not state about doing anything against a biker; my comment being that my experience here was at near hiway speeds with dumasses splitting cars.... if anyone out there is stupid enough to drive a bike like that (these riders had no helmets as well), then imo they get no sympathy from me if something happens. But if at low speeds and it's the law then they have the right to part those cars whether i agree or not.

If i was on 2 wheels, i'd make sure i had some space around me, regardless of any rules....... as we all know not all drivers are at the same level of skill and awareness
Sorry, the criminal comment was directed at ^crestliner up there. I have no symapthy for any rider who doesn't wear gear.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Drivers around here are mostly OK with it. I've lived in the Bay Area for 6 years, most of the time bike-only, and can't recall a cager ever trying to block me. On the other hand I've had LOTS of cagers move over and try to make room for me. This mostly seems to happen in suburban/exurban areas, but it's happened right in the middle of SF too.

When I lived in LA for 4 years I think there was 1 incident where a driver tried not to let me through.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
That California isn't really "the state of the nanny"?

(In addition to lane-sharing, we're also allowed to buy liquor in supermarkets on Sundays...)

Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I don't care if you get there before me, and I don't care if it's legal. It's dangerous and stupid.

Don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive