Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

The problem in this thread is you're going to get a bunch of jealous people who will make snide comments. Don't hate, do something with your life to be able to afford what you are so jealous of..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
As a automotive enthusiast is it normal to feel guilty of having a nice car?..

Lots of people treat cars like they're some type of commodity. But being an enthusiast a car for me is like a love story..

Sometimes I get a feeling like I don't deserve all this..

--Weird, any other automobile enthusiast experiences this?
Nope..... I work hard and have made good decisions in my life. I have nice things because of it. If other people want nice things they need to do the same..

I love my cars and all my other toys and it's because I've worked hard for them.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Odd.........

If this guy really has any 2010 BMW I would be shocked. The posts just don't add up. He has the flagship car (most expensive they offer) but bought it used yet "bled" to own it?
Oh really in 2011 my 2010 760 LI as a certified used vehicle purchased at Thompson BMW in Doylestown, PA an outer ring suburb of Philly was stickered at 93,200.00 with 16,000 miles on the clock.

Since I did not want to take 20,000.00 out of the bank as a down payment I instead did outside consulting work above and beyond my normal 50 plus work week.

I busted my @ss to get that decent down payment on a car that was later to be chosen by me.

I " bled " by the amount of hours I put in to save the money neccessary to keep my monthly payments more in line with my self imposed budget.

And by the way City Guy the 760 LI is the top of the regular BMW lineup but there are variants higher than that that are available through BMW NA.

That's the Alpina B-7 which is a tuned and " luxery " version of the regular 760 LI which adds another 20,000.00 to the price tag to a new 760 LI.

Your being an @ss hat because I pulled the trigger on a nice car.
Be nice.

Oh by the way I'm seriously looking to trade this in towards the middle of 2013 on a loaded Cadillac CTS-V sedan.

There's some really serious after market upgrades that I'll have done to it.

I think black on black with black alloys will look great along with the horsepower increase tuning.

My insurance will actually drop and the money I save on scheduled maintenance between the two cars goes right back into the bank.

Cadillac still holds the distinction as the worlds fastest production sedan with the CTS-V and I think it'll be awesome to own it.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
And another thing; I'm saddened but not surprised at the little boy jealousy posts on this thread directed at me for owning a nice car.

You work your ass off like I do and earn the money to drive a nice ride if you want or in the case of some of you sit with your thumb up your @ss making snide commentary about those that have the money to purchase a nice car.

You have no idea what my life is nor do you know what it took to purchase my car so with that being said I'm done with this thread.

Later today I plan on taking a nice drive in my car into Lancaster county to eat some Pennsylvania Dutch delicacies for dinner.

My German car with my PA Dutch heritage driving to eat some PA German cuisine, can't think of a better Sunday.

Take care everyone.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I'm torn on it.

I do get embarrassed when some people inquire about it, like my kids' teachers as a result of my kids talking about their new car.

However I do enjoy the fact that the valets give it front parking at restaurants though...which means we don't have to wait long.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm torn on it.

I do get embarrassed when some people inquire about it, like my kids' teachers as a result of my kids talking about their new car.

However I do enjoy the fact that the valets give it front parking at restaurants though...which means we don't have to wait long.
Aaaaaah Impy my love.. A beautiful woman in a wonderful car?..... It's enough to make an Englishman go weak at the knees.

I don't see a reason to be embarrassed at driving a car that you've wanted and worked hard to get, they're supposed to be enjoyed. People shouldn't assume that because you treat yourself with the odd thing that it means you don't do the same for others with regards to charities and the like, those that do are too small minded to really be bothering with.

Last edited by Baldrick; 12-30-2012 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: "I came, I saw, I realised I couldn't spell... I changed it!"

Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Yeah I guess that means you harbor prejudice against almost everyone..
Let me quite specific. There is something that just doesn't sit well with me when I see someone driving an expensive foreign car. If the person had purchased an expensive domestically-made foreign car than at least American workers would have gained from his/her purchase. I'm not some clown drawing unemployment checks and sitting on my butt all day. I work for myself and I earn a low six figure income. I said in my first post I plunked down 30K for a new Ford Explorer.

Yet, the sight of a smirking man or woman inside an expensive foreign car is reminiscent to me of Marie Antoinette telling peasants without bread that "they should eat cake".

There is an attitude these days that I find quite prevalent in America that I will characterize as "Jam you Jack, I got mine". Our system seems to be creating more wealthy and more poor all the time while the middle class shrinks.

I guess one approach is simply to say as many here do that "If they earned it its none of your business". In the strictest sense, it is none of my business. Yet, in a broad sense it is emblematic to me what America has become (and I don't like what its become). You see, I grew up in the Sixties when people saw being in the middle class as a badge of honor and were happy to be able to afford even a new Chevy Impala. Not a very high quality car, but back than it was enough for most people to say they were in the middle class. Now, so many have to pretend to be "better" than everyone else.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Let me quite specific. There is something that just doesn't sit well with me when I see someone driving an expensive foreign car. If the person had purchased an expensive domestically-made foreign car than at least American workers would have gained from his/her purchase. I'm not some clown drawing unemployment checks and sitting on my butt all day. I work for myself and I earn a low six figure income. I said in my first post I plunked down 30K for a new Ford Explorer.

Yet, the sight of a smirking man or woman inside an expensive foreign car is reminiscent to me of Marie Antoinette telling peasants without bread that "they should eat cake".

There is an attitude these days that I find quite prevalent in America that I will characterize as "Jam you Jack, I got mine". Our system seems to be creating more wealthy and more poor all the time while the middle class shrinks.

I guess one approach is simply to say as many here do that "If they earned it its none of your business". In the strictest sense, it is none of my business. Yet, in a broad sense it is emblematic to me what America has become (and I don't like what its become). You see, I grew up in the Sixties when people saw being in the middle class as a badge of honor and were happy to be able to afford even a new Chevy Impala. Not a very high quality car, but back than it was enough for most people to say they were in the middle class. Now, so many have to pretend to be "better" than everyone else.
Talk about attitude adjustment! I can see you take others success as a personal shot against you. Time to get over it. I'll say it again...we worked hard for our things....we'll enjoy them as we see fit.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 67,650 times
I do like entry level type luxury cars (Acura TL, Lexus IS250, Audi A4, Infiniti GX35) just because the interior and exterior are nicer and the performance makes driving more fun and sitting in traffic more forgiving.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Talk about attitude adjustment! I can see you take others success as a personal shot against you. Time to get over it. I'll say it again...we worked hard for our things....we'll enjoy them as we see fit.
If I wanted an expensive foreign car, I could afford it. I don't like what it represents and I don't like the image. Its funny you assume that my reasons must be based on envy. You seem to assume that's the only reason someone could have for not liking such a car. You couldn't catch me dead driving one of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive