Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by op930 View Post
Hi all - new poster on City-Data.

I am a young professional (mid-20s) who is looking for a car (either lease or buy - haven't made up my mind yet) for my work commute. I have a decent amount of disposable income and can budget for an all-in monthly cost for a car (including insurance, gas, maintenance etc.) anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000

I have been looking at cars like the Porsche Cayman, BMW M3, Nissan 370Z, Audi A5, BMW Z4

My ideal car would be relatively inexpensive (no Ferrari's or Lambo's obviously), fast yet comfortable for a 30-45 minute city commute, if used, then not more than 20k miles on it, not a four door, and something that is not too over the top (like a Mustang Boss, since my work place is quite conservative, and I don't want my car to scream in the parking lot)

Realize that I am being ambiguous, however, would love to hear some thoughts on what would be a good car for me based on my budget and some of my prerequistes.

Would really appreciate the help!
Are you insecure? Why don't you get a Toyota or Honda and invest the money that you save? BMWs and Porsches don't impress anybody. They just make you look like you are trying to compensate for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Guys, really appreciate the responses. I do realize that I am pretty young for the cars that I described. However, for the amount of disposable income I have, and given what my colleagues drive, I think it would be foolish of me to not get something that I can truly afford and enjoy at the same time. Not sure why I could get a Chevy Malibu or a Volt when I can get an M3...I am single, have a lot of disposable income (after rent and other expenses, I save about 12k per month - not including retirement+investment contributions), have no debt, and have a pretty decent amount of liquid assets for my age. I can understand where you guys are coming from but if you put yourself in my shoes, the consensus would be that it actually might make sense and spend 1.5-2k/month all-in on a nice car

Greg - thanks for your insight. BRZ looks pretty nice but I think the IPL G Coupe is really nice - definitely will consider that

In that case... Get whatever you want, so long as you pay cash.

Lota people in a lot of industries got hit outa nowhere by job loss while covered up in payments.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
E92 M3 and pay your loans off. F*ck the house for now. You don't need that until you're married.

Seriously. It's the best all around car in the world for the money in terms of luxury, practicality and of course sport. Fuel economy is it's only achilles heel. The idea that you could buy 2 or damn near 3 M3's for the price of one 911 Turbo or Aston Martin Vantage is such a joke considering the small incremental improvements in performance or status they offer.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Hyundai Genesis Coupe would be a fun drive and probably wont break the bank if you are set on making monthly payments.
https://www.google.ca/search?num=10&....1.-5I77lmKeqE

Some points to ponder when leasing...From Phil Bailey.http://www.baileycar.com/index.html

The Ten Commandments of Leasing.
1. Don't lease if you plan to drive the same car for more than three years.
2. Don't lease if there is any possibility that you will not be able to make the payments for any reason
Leases are very difficult and expensive to get out of.
3. Insist on a closed end lease if you want to walk away afterwards.
4. To figure out if it's a deal. First find out what the vehicle would have cost for cash, then price a loan,
then price the lease.
BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING.
5. Find out what price the lease is based on. If you cannot establish this price, multiply the lease monthly
payment by 100 and add on any down payments or cash equivalents. Establish the REAL interest rate,
even if this means consulting your bank manager.
6. Insist on a list of all the charges you must pay before you drive away.
No down payment, does not mean no charges.
7. Establish clearly what minimum charges you will be responsible for when the lease is over.
Bald tires and scratched paint work can cost you a lot.
Very rarely do lessees hand over the keys and walk away.
Usually there is something to be paid, sometimes a lot.
8. Evaluate the buy back carefully. is the car really going to be worth that much?
9. Don't assume that a lease offers protection against the ownership of a lemon.
You cannot suspend payments just because you are having trouble with the car.
10. Treat the vehicle as you would a rented apartment. Keep it in good condition, but don't spend extra
money on it. Remember you are only BORROWING the car from it's real owner.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 AM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
If you can afford a 1-2k car budget, forget what anyone at your office will say. Buy what ever will make you happy when you drive to work every morning. I'm a young professional also, don't make nearly as much as you, but I drive a jeep grand Cherokee and in the process of buying a dodge challenger. Why? Because I'm young, I work, and that's what I want to do with the money I work for. Life is short enjoy it.

Now I don't think you should buy an Aston Martin, but like another poster, anything under 100k!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 67,669 times
Audi A4, Acura TL or Lexus IS250. Those day LED lights on the Audi and Lexus are very sexy.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,052 times
Get a Dodge Caravan.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Skip the M3 and, get a 335is. M3 commuting will wear you out (physically and financially) and the 335 is still a very capable car.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
jaguar

Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
....given what my colleagues drive, I think it would be foolish of me to not get something that I can truly afford and enjoy at the same time.
Why do you care what your colleagues drive? Are you a lemming? You should get what YOU want not what someone else thinks you should have.

Quote:
Not sure why I could get a Chevy Malibu or a Volt when I can get an M3...I am single, have a lot of disposable income (after rent and other expenses, I save about 12k per month - not including retirement+investment contributions), have no debt, and have a pretty decent amount of liquid assets for my age. I can understand where you guys are coming from but if you put yourself in my shoes, the consensus would be that it actually might make sense and spend 1.5-2k/month all-in on a nice car

Greg - thanks for your insight. BRZ looks pretty nice but I think the IPL G Coupe is really nice - definitely will consider that
I wouldn't buy an expensive car before I had my own home no matter how much money I was making. I suggest you buy a fun car that YOU like without regard to your colleagues. Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers are all reasonably priced and fun to drive. I know that we would not be spending $1500 a month on something that is the same as what everyone else drives. Buy what you like not what you think you should buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive