Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

I didn't read every post, but did OP say he really likes to drive, from a performance point of view? If he has little appreciation for driving and cars beyond knowing which ones are more expensive, why bother spending more to have a better car? There are lots of things I can afford better versions of, but since I don't have any appreciation for them, I stick with more basic (less expensive) versions. I can justify more money for vehicles, A/V gear, tools, beer, food, etc., but not for high-end furniture, kitchen flatware (bought a set a few months ago), window treatments, or even clothing, as examples.

I'm far past the point in life of doing anything just to impress others or satisfy their expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Threads like these always frustrate me. The OP asked for suggestions on certain cars based on his car budget. He didnt ask what order he should pay his bills in and certainly didnt ask for assumptions regarding his "station in life" (such a ^%$ elitist phrase).

That said, if it were me I'd go for a 300 SRT/8.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by op930 View Post
haha totally agree that all those cars are not conservative. Our parking lot has a bunch of these German cars + a lot more S-classes and 7-series type cars for the senior folks at the firm. I guess I just wanted to say that I don't want a muscle car or a suped up honda civic which would definitely look odd at a parking lot of our firm
If you want to look good at work, a Volvo says "responsible person". And you can have all the luxury features of all the fancy cars, yet no "flashiness"!

Plus all sorts of safety / security features and low insurance rates. Responsible people tend to buy Volvos, probably partly why the rates are low?

P.S. Volvos have an automatic transmission with "sport mode" like a Ferrari. You can haul a$$ if you so choose.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
If you want to look good at work, a Volvo says "responsible person". And you can have all the luxury features of all the fancy cars, yet no "flashiness"!

Plus all sorts of safety / security features and low insurance rates. Responsible people tend to buy Volvos, probably partly why the rates are low?

P.S. Volvos have an automatic transmission with "sport mode" like a Ferrari. You can haul a$$ if you so choose.
I vote volvo or lexus. Both are sharp looking, reliable, and sporty. Also excellent in the winter.

For what it's worth, I'm a female. You seem to be concerned with impressions (since you mentioned your coworkers vehicles), and if I saw you driving something too "flashy", I'd probably assume you were trying to show off or compensate for something.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I vote volvo or lexus. Both are sharp looking, reliable, and sporty. Also excellent in the winter.

For what it's worth, I'm a female. You seem to be concerned with impressions (since you mentioned your coworkers vehicles), and if I saw you driving something too "flashy", I'd probably assume you were trying to show off or compensate for something.
Hummm.... I never thought of a Volvo or Lexus as a "chick magnet"???

Although the SUV's of those brands are family vehicles. And women do have an eye toward an eventual family...

Perhaps all the sporty "guy" cars are actually "guy magnets"?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I'm still struggling to reconcile the OP's stated wish for a "conservative" car, but then he lists cars that are decidedly non-conservative. Either you want to have a car that will stand out and has good performance, or you don't. Frankly, if you have an extra 12k a month in savings, I'd buy a used Honda/Toyota for the work commute for under 10k, and get a Cayman S for your fun car that you occasionally take to work on nicer days.

I'm a Porsche guy and have owned/driven most of their current lineup, so if you decide to go that route and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Long hood porsche 911 and a 2013 corolla and fold the rest back over and put it in your pocket.

Life is about experiences

Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I like Nissons, very dependable and not overly expensive to purchase. I'd pass on the lease idea.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Hummm.... I never thought of a Volvo or Lexus as a "chick magnet"???

Although the SUV's of those brands are family vehicles. And women do have an eye toward an eventual family...

Perhaps all the sporty "guy" cars are actually "guy magnets"?
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one, at least personally. I'm a simple gal with simple tastes though. I drive a 2012 Corolla myself, so I'm obviously not into flash!

But I have several male friends who have flashy cars and ask me when one is driving by if I think it's a "chick" car or not. Personally, I think it's men trying to impress men a lot of the time. I tend to think if a woman is dating a man simply for his car, it's probably the wrong kind of woman. Or man, if you're into that. Unless they're a car enthusiast or something.

But again, plane Jane here. I do appreciate a nice Lexus. They're beautiful cars without being gawdy, and reliable to boot.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by op930 View Post
Agreed. Flynavyj - thats what I was thinking - more mid-level performance cars. What are your thoughts on Porsche Cayman? I have been looking at Lotus as well - don't think it will be a comfy commute though..

Regarding my profession, I am in the private equity world
A Lotus is probably the least comfortable "real" car on the road, and they're all tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Threads like these always frustrate me. The OP asked for suggestions on certain cars based on his car budget. He didnt ask what order he should pay his bills in and certainly didnt ask for assumptions regarding his "station in life" (such a ^%$ elitist phrase).

That said, if it were me I'd go for a 300 SRT/8.
OP didn't give much info about what he likes, or what level of performance he is looking for. Much of the particulars given are in reference to outside influences, so replies with that in mind aren't necessarily out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive