Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

Okay, I love Car and Driver but they seem to be overly "optimistic" in their longterm tests about every damn car.

Case in point, in the Nov issue, they have a 2011 Grand Cherokee that needed the entire transmission replaced at 33kmi (with 5 unscheduled service) and yet they finished off the article with "If the GC is a sign of things to come, the future looks bright for Jeep." Really?

In the Feb issue, they have a "barely broken in" Volvo S60 that required replacement of five electronic modules and most of the wiring harness. In fact, to troubleshoot this issue they spent a month consulting with "engineers in Sweden". They ended with "we can only hope that every Volvo customer receives similar treatment if the need arises." Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Okay, I love Car and Driver but they seem to be overly "optimistic" in their longterm tests about every damn car.

Case in point, in the Nov issue, they have a 2011 Grand Cherokee that needed the entire transmission replaced at 33kmi (with 5 unscheduled service) and yet they finished off the article with "If the GC is a sign of things to come, the future looks bright for Jeep." Really?

In the Feb issue, they have a "barely broken in" Volvo S60 that required replacement of five electronic modules and most of the wiring harness. In fact, to troubleshoot this issue they spent a month consulting with "engineers in Sweden". They ended with "we can only hope that every Volvo customer receives similar treatment if the need arises." Really?

I think you might be missing the point here they very fact that the makers fixed whatever problems, they had without giving them a hard times speaks volumes.

Last edited by reed067; 12-30-2012 at 12:12 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
I am with the OP on this. I was looking to see what is available out there as far as Mazda CX-9 on the long run. They tested one for 40K miles and had issues with trim coming off, creaks, paint on the interior coming off, the car's performance had dropped significantly and was getting poor gas mileage (not sure if they floored it or not) and they came out being impressed.
For me, any repairs needed in the 1st 60-80K miles is a big red flag.
They get taken care of because they are "Car and Driver", when regular guys like me return to the dealership, most of the time we just get "we could not reproduce the problem", so I want a car that has been tested and true. I mostly use internet forums to figure common problem areas with certain models because when I buy a car, I want it to last 150-200 K miles.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I thinlk you might be missing the point here they very fact that the makers fixed whatever problems, they had without giving them a hard times speaks volumes.

Well, your bar must be set pretty low then.
I don't expect a good car to have any serious problems especially while under the warranty period. If it did, I wouldn't be as optimistic about the car's future as CnD are. In addition, I don't think any regular Joe will have access to engineers from Sweden to help diagnose problems.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
I think that the answer is obvious if you look at the ads in C & D and its sister publication, R & T.

Do you see any Jeep ads or Volvo ads?
Yup!
I thought so.

Money talks, and C & D is unlikely to displease those who feed its coffers.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Well, your bar must be set pretty low then.
I don't expect a good car to have any serious problems especially while under the warranty period. If it did, I wouldn't be as optimistic about the car's future as CnD are. In addition, I don't think any regular Joe will have access to engineers from Sweden to help diagnose problems.

Low? No, but they did stand by thier product & fix the cars all cars have some problem at one time or another You have to give them credit for that. I would rather them break down while they are UNDER the warranty then not & who is to say that they won't have anymore problems after that?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Low? No, but they did stand by thier product & fix the cars all cars have some problem at one time or another You have to give them credit for that. I would rather them break down while they are UNDER the warranty then not & who is to say that they won't have anymore problems after that?

So you don't think all manufacturers will fix these problems under warranty? You don't think CnD gets preferential treatment?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
how naive one has to be, to take for profit magazines word on anything?
the only true source of information on ANY vehicle are dedicated forums. reading through several months worth of posts, one can obtain a very fair look at vehicle performance and reliability. Reading, not asking "hey, is that a good car", as half responses will be canceled dealers and the other half will be those who bought it, and now don't have gut to admit that they bought a dud or a lemon.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So you don't think all manufacturers will fix these problems under warranty? You don't think CnD gets preferential treatment?

It's possible but I would hope that would treat all the people who have the problems the same. Not ALL dealers are going to stand behind the cars they sell. Some are going to try & mess you over some are not. You play the odds when you buy a new or used car. My dad bought a new Dodge in 88 & the engine fell out 50 miles after he bought the car, they told him that it was his fault & messed him over.
You can't blame a car maker for what the dealerships do.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
C&D can be entertaining and informative but don't take it for anything more than a slanted opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive