U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 PM

57 posts, read 172,967 times

Advertisements

looking for a used hatchback, something like the mazada3 hatchback or toyota matrix/ pontiac vibe. or slightly larger like a acura rdx. I want good handling, and if possible close to 30 mpg hwy. I'd like to spend 10k or less but know it will be hard since I don't want anything over 50k miles. I don't want anything ford.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,673,768 times
Think you hit the nail on the head with your first vehicle mentioned. Mazda3 is an excellent choice.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 PM

38,705 posts, read 96,362,009 times
If a top-handling hatch is what you're after, the Mazda3 is about your best bet. You'll struggle to approach 30mpg with a 2.3L-equipped Mazda3. If fuel economy is a top priority, make sure to shop the 2.0L.

A VW Golf/Rabbit is also a consideration. You could even get into a GTI in your price range at around 50K miles or just under. Cost of parts/repair can be a particular issue though.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Think you hit the nail on the head with your first vehicle mentioned. Mazda3 is an excellent choice.
I just discovered the dodge magnum. problem with the mazda3 is theres only 4 within 200 miles of me, lol.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 5,673,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
I just discovered the dodge magnum. problem with the mazda3 is theres only 4 within 200 miles of me, lol.
I would imagine a densely populated state like Florida would have a number of Mazda dealers and quite a few owners. I've owned two and I'm always seeing them on the local roads (and I live in a pretty remote part of Calif). Great brand.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I would imagine a densely populated state like Florida would have a number of Mazda dealers and quite a few owners. I've owned two and I'm always seeing them on the local roads (and I live in a pretty remote part of Calif). Great brand.
you would think, but pretty much all are the sedan version on cars.com and autotrader. I see dodge calibers everywhere.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 AM

2,698 posts, read 11,197,072 times
Well, there's always the Mazda's American cousin, the Ford Focus.

Mike

Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM

5,249 posts, read 12,009,626 times
I would try and find a mid to late 90's Integra Hatch, spend $3500-$5000 get with with the DOHC VTEC motor, you will have a car that fun to drive and will still get you 30+ mpg

SVT Focus Available for around $5-$7k(also available in a 4 door, although not nearly as good looking) is also a car thats a blast to drive

Mazdaspeed3 may a bit out of the price range

Ive always had thing for the protege5 as well, cant explain, but for a "wagon" its a nice looking car

All of those car should be available for well under $10,000

Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM

38,705 posts, read 96,362,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I would try and find a mid to late 90's Integra Hatch, spend $3500-$5000 get with with the DOHC VTEC motor, you will have a car that fun to drive and will still get you 30+ mpg

SVT Focus Available for around $5-$7k(also available in a 4 door, although not nearly as good looking) is also a car thats a blast to drive

Mazdaspeed3 may a bit out of the price range

Ive always had thing for the protege5 as well, cant explain, but for a "wagon" its a nice looking car

All of those car should be available for well under $10,000
Well let's see.... his chances of finding an Integra with a DOHC and under 50K miles is almost zero.... the Focus is a Ford and he said no Fords.... The Mazdaspeed3 is a gas hog and won't get anywhere close to his specified 30mpg target... and the MP5 is a wagon not a hatch (minor detail though). Other than that though, good suggestions.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM

16,085 posts, read 22,135,420 times
1. How about 1st generation Scion Xb? Not a true hatch, and maybe not a looker, but definitely good mpg and ton of cargo space. Besides, it's almost a cult vehicle anyway.
2. Dodge? Are you insane? You want to spend a fortune on repairs? Thought you looking for a reliable vehicle. None of that in Dodge stable.
3. Surprise. My son has 08 Mazdaspeed with turbo engine and does around 36 mpg. He drives like grandma, but!
4. Once again, look into Scion lineup. Reason very simple - they have several hatches and are made in Japan, hence, are true Toyota with real quality.
5. What's wrong with Honda Fit?
6. Stay away from Fords! Stay away from Fords! Stay away from Fords! Stay away from Fords! I know they are - some - basically Mazdas, yet, a Ford is a Ford. Unless you get one made by their European branch, which is a REAL Focus, not that watered down thing they sell here.
7. Stay away from Germans. You either buy pre 2000 one, or do not buy them at all. They forgot what reliability is ever since number crunchers took over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive