U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
1,618 posts, read 2,262,509 times
Reputation: 1096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
To be fair, there aren't many people mentioning the other pony cars like the Camaro and Challenger but the Mustang sure hasn't been forgotten. I wonder why.........
Your error here is assuming there are "other" pony cars when in truth there is ONE pony car, and two full size heavy cruisers dressed up and styled to look kind of like pony cars for people who aren't actual drivers.

No offense intended of course.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 2,754,462 times
Reputation: 929
1. Prius, any year. They are either doing 10mph under the limit (hypermilers) or 30mph over it in my area. Also drives quickly in parking lots, not remembering that their car makes almost no noise and pedestrians can't hear it before they see it.
2. Dodge Ram Pickup, mid 2000s to present. Tends to tailgate and drive aggressively.
3. Chevy or Ford work van (plumbers, HVAC, electricians, etc.) Especially between 3 and 5pm. These guys drive like maniacs at the end of the work day trying to get home, to the bar, or wherever they are going. It's amazing watching these guys zip in and out of lanes on the highway at 80mph with those giant blind spots.
4. Older Cadillacs or Lincolns with NY plates (I am in PA). Usually camps out doing 55mph in the left hand lane of the interstate and won't move over no matter what is going on around them.
5. 1980s/1990s/early 2000s VW Golfs and Jettas, also beat-up 1980s BMW 3-series. Usually driven by some hipster guy with a beard who drives like he's high. Weird, uneven acceleration, braking, and lane changes. You occasionally see this guy driving a newer Golf, with slightly less erratic driving.


Honorable mention:
1990s Honda Civic with fart can muffler. Goes without saying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
 
3,963 posts, read 5,137,505 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Your error here is assuming there are "other" pony cars when in truth there is ONE pony car, and two full size heavy cruisers dressed up and styled to look kind of like pony cars for people who aren't actual drivers.

No offense intended of course.
Your error is not considering the fact that this isn't a time period where Richard Nixon is president. Standards change and more modern technologies are needed to make them permissible to be sold to the general public. All types of cars are heavier than they once were. The Camaro at least to my knowledge has increased weight in a similar percentage than the Mustang.

If you want to really go there than the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is just as much as a pony car than the Mustang. The Mustang in essence built on a mid to full size platform but it stands alone hence there is nothing to compare it to. As such, people will still hail it as the only pony car. Weight wise it's an average person away from being the same size as the Camaro. So much for a pony car which are supposed to be compact and the Mustang clearly isn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM
 
Location: SWUS
5,420 posts, read 8,561,264 times
Reputation: 5832
1. Prius drivers
2. Trucks with greater than a 6" lift
3. Texans
4. Californians
5. People from the anywhere between Washington, D.C. and Boston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
1,618 posts, read 2,262,509 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Your error is not considering the fact that this isn't a time period where Richard Nixon is president. Standards change and more modern technologies are needed to make them permissible to be sold to the general public. All types of cars are heavier than they once were. The Camaro at least to my knowledge has increased weight in a similar percentage than the Mustang.

If you want to really go there than the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is just as much as a pony car than the Mustang. The Mustang in essence built on a mid to full size platform but it stands alone hence there is nothing to compare it to. As such, people will still hail it as the only pony car. Weight wise it's an average person away from being the same size as the Camaro. So much for a pony car which are supposed to be compact and the Mustang clearly isn't.
Both the Camaro and the Dodge are heavier than the Mustang by quite a bit, if you check the specs (they're also bigger, they're based on full-size cars, rather than being a unique midsize car like the Mustang, which isn't actually "based off" anything else). I actually consider the Genesis Coupe to be a pony/muscle car in the same spirit of the original Mustang and Camaro. If only Hyundai knew how to do a proper suspension and steering rack it might be competitive. They've still got a ways to go, but at least it's not handling badly because it's a boat dressed up to look like a pony car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
 
6,368 posts, read 15,363,365 times
Reputation: 5924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
And you're PROUD of being a judgemental prick?

Aaaand, I'm back to being directly insulted by yet another mouthbreather. This stereotyping crap is BS. But it suits this forum perfectly, as it seems most in here are clueless non-car people that are extremely narrowminded and hateful.
Maybe it's just you...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
283 posts, read 471,698 times
Reputation: 459
Subarus!

They are as common as coffee shops here in the Pacific Northwest, and for some reason whenever I see somebody make a total jack-ass, bonehead move in traffic, eighty per-cent of the time they are at the helm of the dread Subaru.

I even made-up my own joke about this:

"What's the difference between a porcupine and a Subaru?"

"On a porcupine, the prick is on the outside."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
 
1,105 posts, read 1,072,963 times
Reputation: 1291
1. Trucks
2. SUV's
3. Trucks
4. SUV's
5. 90% of Michigan drivers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
 
3,963 posts, read 5,137,505 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Both the Camaro and the Dodge are heavier than the Mustang by quite a bit, if you check the specs (they're also bigger, they're based on full-size cars, rather than being a unique midsize car like the Mustang, which isn't actually "based off" anything else). I actually consider the Genesis Coupe to be a pony/muscle car in the same spirit of the original Mustang and Camaro. If only Hyundai knew how to do a proper suspension and steering rack it might be competitive. They've still got a ways to go, but at least it's not handling badly because it's a boat dressed up to look like a pony car.
Try reading again before responding as you didn't get it. PERCENTAGE. The original Mustang curb weight and the modern Mustang curb weight is of a similar weight of growth than the Camaro and Challenger. The Mustang is between mid and full size as it's bigger than one of the larger midsizers out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
1,618 posts, read 2,262,509 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Try reading again before responding as you didn't get it. PERCENTAGE. The original Mustang curb weight and the modern Mustang curb weight is of a similar weight of growth than the Camaro and Challenger. The Mustang is between mid and full size as it's bigger than one of the larger midsizers out there.
The Camaro and Challenger didn't "grow." They were both discontinued for many years. And when their manufacturers looked at how Ford was doing with the Mustang, they decided to get back into the game, looked at their existing lineups and grabbed what they thought they could modify into a V8 tire-smoker. In Dodge's case they took the Chrysler 300C/Dodge Charger, hacked off two doors, and classicized the nose. In GM's case they took the recently dearly departed Pontiac G8 (itself a modified version of an Aussie Holden) and modified it. The same platform underpins the decidely full-size Caprice PPV, and the upcoming Chevy SS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top