Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,604,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Oh, it's lots of fun, as classic muscle car guys like me know...

I don't like taking hairpin curves fast. Makes me dizzy. I have a lot more fun with a car that has lots of low-end torque. I also prefer owning a car which I am not ashamed to park at a car show!
Oh, so that's the excuse classic muscle car guys use for having cars that steer like an aircraft carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,556,322 times
Quote:
Is it that hard to be civilized?

The proper way to reply if someone says you were rude is to say, I'm sorry if I was rude."

Believe me, I more than half decent. Read my posts on this board. I don't name-call or attack other posters. If you would do the same, that would be great.
In my short time here I've noticed he has quite the attitude towards people who disagree with him.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
In my short time here I've noticed he has quite the attitude towards people who disagree with him.
Yes, I suppose some people just have to be difficult.

Well, I've experienced it before on other boards and in chat rooms. It's a part of life (and life on the Internet), I guess. But thanks for your post.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Oh, so that's the excuse classic muscle car guys use for having cars that steer like an aircraft carrier.
Some would surprise you by how well they steer.

I have posted before that some people buy a classic muscle car, do suspension upgrades, and drive them on the autocross (and sometimes beat late-model cars!).

There are some classic cars that handle and steer well, but I still prefer lots of torque!

1966 Plymouth Fury VIP - YouTube

Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Some would surprise you by how well they steer.

I have posted before that some people buy a classic muscle car, do suspension upgrades, and drive them on the autocross (and sometimes beat late-model cars!).

There are some classic cars that handle and steer well, but I still prefer lots of torque!
Frankly some of them would surprise me if they steered at all. You have not lived life unless you have taken a Nissan Juke, Subaru WRX, or even a Mazda3, and found the twistiest, windiest road you can, and just gone at the thing flat out. Learn the Hoon. Be the Hoon.

Nanananananananananananananananananananananana.... ...........

Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Frankly some of them would surprise me if they steered at all. You have not lived life unless you have taken a Nissan Juke, Subaru WRX, or even a Mazda3, and found the twistiest, windiest road you can, and just gone at the thing flat out. Learn the Hoon. Be the Hoon.

Car and Driver, Feb, 1970:

"Wheels and tires are now as wide as what you would have found on pure racing cars a few years ago. The point was forcefully pounded home at the GM proving grounds when we discovered that a Buick GS 455 (of all things) loaded down to 4,300 lbs with every conceivable option, would still drive circles around an Opel GT, a 'sports car' on the handling course."

Car Life, Dec. 1967 (road test of a '68 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S):

"The Barracuda, while not a sports car, negotiated many curves at speeds that would give some accepted 'sports cars' considerable strain. The driver soon gets the feeling that it would take some incredible occurrence to make the Barracuda lose its grip on the pavement."

It sounds like you actually believe some of those stereotypes about classic muscle cars.

I'll leave the Juke, WRX or Mazdas to you. I don't like driving hilarious-looking cars.
I can suggest the same to you, try driving a car like a '69 Dodge Charger R/T or a '69 Ford Fairlane 428 Cobra-Jet.

I had lots of fun driving my '66 Dart GT V-8 for over 20 years...

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM

I have. Booooring. Dude, you really need to get out of the 70s, they're long over with. What drove and handled good in 1970 handles like a stock Crown Vic in comparison to today's models. A Crown Vic WITHOUT the Police Interceptor package I might add.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,186,199 times
Quote:

And you haven't lived live until you've autocrossed an American muscle car that has a couple select suspension upgrades. I've built sports cars, race cars and musclecars. I've run imports in the twisties, from BMWs to RX7s. I've also driven classic Mustangs and Camaros that pull over 1 G laterally, and even my old '71 Torino GT would autocross well.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...FaHt0gHQs4H4BA

Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I have. Booooring. Dude, you really need to get out of the 70s, they're long over with.

What drove and handled good in 1970 handles like a stock Crown Vic in comparison to today's models. A Crown Vic WITHOUT the Police Interceptor package I might add.
If you think burning rubber is "boring," it's probably because your car(s) can't do it!

Instead of me needing to get out of the '70s, maybe you should read up more on '60s/70s muscle cars? Because you don't seem to know much about them.

Also, regarding the second paragraph, what about suspension upgrades and modern tires? You have heard of those, haven't you?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
Around here it's mostly the run-of-the-mill import drivers (Honda, Nissan, Toyota) who will cut you off, turn without using their signals, take up two parking spaces, and engage in other typically annoying vehicular behavior.

I think the reason is that there aren't really any import dealerships real close to us, so the people around here who buy imports tend to be the ones who think that they're a little bit better that everyone else around here so they feel that they have to drive 100 miles to shop someplace that's worthy of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive