Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
ALL Subarus? Even the 300 HP turbocharged ones?
There are exceptions to every rule, however no Subaru driver around Seattle would pick one of those over an Outback so I haven't seen on in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
I generally find that professional drivers are among the best drivers on the road. Heavy trucks are slow and many are now governed to around 60 mph for fuel economy reasons. That's just a fact of physics and the vast majority of the heavy truck drivers drive knowing this, so they stay out of everybody's way in the right lane and cause no issues. A very small number of them drive poorly, mainly involving passing another truck which is governed 1 mph slower and taking five minutes to do so. Quite a few people hate dump trucks as they get rocks fall off and hit them, but the drivers who are hit nearly always are following too closely and should know better. (Particularly now with load tarp laws being very common.) I rarely see trucks doing the really dangerous things that car drivers do such as talk on a cell phone, drive drunk, tailgate, weave, and change lanes without signaling.

I am not a trucker, I just drive a lot on highways and see a lot of them.
I'm sure that the majority of them are good, safe drivers. However, the majority of regular car drivers are also good, safe drivers. We're talking about those vehicles that seem to have bad drivers the most. Maybe I notice 18-wheelers more because they're so big.

All I know is that I find myself calling trucking companies regularly, reporting unsafe driving by their drivers. Thankfully, most 18-wheelers have the phone number of the company on the side, and those that don't will still have the company name (and my wife can look up the phone number on her phone). Even if truck drivers are safer than average drivers, they have to be safer still because they're piloting 40-ton monsters that can't accelerate, handle, nor brake the way regular cars can.

It's sort of like how I was at the skating rink tonight. I'm their DJ but I decided to skate a bit... and I had to be unusually careful because I was one of the biggest people there, meaning that I could cause a lot of damage (comparatively speaking) if I collided with someone. If a 5-year-old hits a 5-year-old, no biggie. If I hit a 5-year-old, I'm going to run the kid over and possibly put him out of commission for the rest of the night. These truck drivers have to drive like that. Stay in the right-hand lane even if traffic slows down, unless you're on a downhill grade. Nobody wants to be stuck behind you. And pay attention to those signs that say "left lane no trucks". They're there for a reason.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
All I know is that I find myself calling trucking companies regularly, reporting unsafe driving by their drivers. Thankfully, most 18-wheelers have the phone number of the company on the side, and those that don't will still have the company name (and my wife can look up the phone number on her phone).
You're not one of those ones who just call the numbers on the trucks for any little thing because you can are you? I work for local delivery and we get those kinds of calls

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
You're not one of those ones who just call the numbers on the trucks for any little thing because you can are you? I work for local delivery and we get those kinds of calls

I can feel what the other poster is saying. I drive on interstate 70 miles everyday and I notice they mess up when overtaking all the time I'd say almost everyday. Hey if road is not perfectly flat then they will have hard time in overtaking and sometimes it takes several miles (once it's 10 miles or so ) before they pass and that too when both trucks are going around 60MPH or lesser in 65MPH! Obviously cars behind are going to call and give reps to the driver on the left.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I can feel what the other poster is saying. I drive on interstate 70 miles everyday and I notice they mess up when overtaking all the time I'd say almost everyday. Hey if road is not perfectly flat then they will have hard time in overtaking and sometimes it takes several miles (once it's 10 miles or so ) before they pass and that too when both trucks are going around 60MPH or lesser in 65MPH! Obviously cars behind are going to call and give reps to the driver on the left.
I won't call for something like that. It annoys me but it's not worth the effort to report. I call for things like tailgating... that's probably the biggest. If I'm in the left-hand lane on the interstate, exceeding the speed limit by maybe 1 or 2 mph as I pass someone in the right-hand lane, I'm doing exactly what I should be doing and if an 18-wheeler gets to within one car-length of me because I'm not going 5 over or 10 over like he'd rather do, I'm going to call because it's extremely dangerous for someone driving a vehicle that large to be that close to my rear end at that speed. If I have to panic-stop for whatever reason, I'm going to get crushed like an accordion when this 18-wheeler plows into me.

I've also called for 18-wheelers that try to switch into my lane when I'm alongside the truck and force me to run off the road and/or slam on the brakes to avoid getting side-swiped. That's dangerous. I will also call if a driver whips his truck into the other lane quickly without signaling or looking and forces me to hit my brakes to avoid a collision.

I don't call for things like speeding, going significantly under the speed limit, or clogging traffic. If I were to do that, I'd never get off the phone!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 AM

People aren't entitled to their views,just because they don't agree with yours?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
To be fair, there aren't many people mentioning the other pony cars like the Camaro and Challenger but the Mustang sure hasn't been forgotten. I wonder why.........

Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
I drive a really tiny car. Anyone that has been passed by me should get the heck off the streets.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I drive a really tiny car. Anyone that has been passed by me should get the heck off the streets.
Do tell what it is please.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
To be fair, there aren't many people mentioning the other pony cars like the Camaro and Challenger but the Mustang sure hasn't been forgotten. I wonder why.........
Higher number of punks use em to race?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive