Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Its about 1500 miles and I would be driving a Corolla. Flights are about $500 for the 2 of us plus about $200 for a rental car. I can easily get 38mpg which would cost me about $300 in gas and 1 night hotel each way. I can easily do it not sure if my wife would. I like not being tied to airline schedules.
Youre not way off, but just so youre accurate in your calculations no way are you going to make it in 2 days and getting 38 mpg. Besides I imagine the car being packed a good deal heavier than what youre used to usually, once you get closer to the midwest the wind is ALOT stronger and will take quite a few mpgs away.. nevermind the pace where speed limits are 70-75 mph. I usually lose a good 6-7 mpg sometimes even up to 10mpg when really in a rush and when travelling in such conditions in a low powered 4cyl.

Prob closer to a lil over $400 in gas, then theres tolls etc. For which Id budget 100$ just to be safe.. isnt the pa turnpike like 30-40 alone for cars the whole way these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Its about 1500 miles and I would be driving a Corolla. Flights are about $500 for the 2 of us plus about $200 for a rental car. I can easily get 38mpg which would cost me about $300 in gas and 1 night hotel each way. I can easily do it not sure if my wife would. I like not being tied to airline schedules.
Sounds like it's kind of a toss-up. The deal-maker for me would be if you could do something like Priceline, where you got a killer deal on the flights.

For me, if the price was about the same, I'd rather fly. But I'm not you...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,602 times
Quote:
I'd fly. Wear and tear on your car probably isn't worth it.

And if you both work, taking the extra two days off of work for the drive cost you two days of pay (vacation pay is worth a day's rate if you can cash out eventually). Time is money. And I'd rather be making it than driving through Ohio

And you'll be driving 3000 miles on mostly unknown roads. That's a lot of extra chances to get in an accident.

Just how I'd look at it.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times
I did it from Philly in 3 days of easy driving. Picked up Rt 70 in Louisville and spent several hours sightseeing in St Louis and Kansas City. Eastern Colorado was so boring, as flat and treeless as a ping pong table then suddenly you see the Rockys in the distance and the Denver skyline at the same time.

http://www.skylinescenes.com/largeIm...e_134_8841.jpg

Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
I just checked flight cost and I was a bit off, it is actually $800 round trip for both of us and that is checking 4 different airports including RDU. So unless it comes way down I guess we will be driving.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,022,539 times
Quote:
If you have done this, how long did it take you? I want to go to Colorado this summer and I know it would be cheaper to drive than to fly but I am trying to convince my wife that the drive would be better than flying and then renting a car.
Point out to your wife, that she wont have to get molested by TSA perverts. If that isn't enough to convince her, I don't know what would be.

It should be a nice trip for you, if you have enough time to for the drive.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,362 times
Default Not cheaper

Quote:
If you have done this, how long did it take you? I want to go to Colorado this summer and I know it would be cheaper to drive than to fly but I am trying to convince my wife that the drive would be better than flying and then renting a car.

I did it both ways, two days each way. Two drivers. The drive across the plains on I-70 is die straight and if you are driving into the sun will burn a hole in your retina in the morning and evening. Expect to fall asleep at the wheel if you push it. If you are still married at the completion of the trip, count yourself lucky.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM

792 posts, read 2,872,409 times
Sounds like a lot of discomfort for about minimum wage if you figure how much you are paying yourself by the hour. Rental cars can be very cheap at the airport. If I were you, I'd keep an eagle eye on the airfares.

Also, you don't mention what you are doing for lodging once you get to Denver. I'm assuming that's free, or the airfare wouldn't seem like that much. But if its not, hit Priceline up for a full package deal (air, car, hotel). You can really clean up if you do the whole package. I've gotten the whole deal for the price of car and airfare alone.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
I've done it LOTS (my family is from WY, wife and I lived in Denver, and her family lives just south of Atlanta ~ as do we now). It's 2 days from here with a stop in Missouri. Boring drive. We're doing it again this next summer for a 3 week vacation and again next winter for a 4 week skiing vacation.

I don't know/care if it's cheaper (we get 50mpg in our diesel), and the 4 days travel time sucks, but there's just no replacing having YOUR car and taking what would amount to $400 in luggage for no extra expense. Heck, we take our dogs most times and that's not something we will EVER do when flying ~ we like our pets and don't want them dead (common). We actually like car camping, taking detours on a whim, don't tend to have specific time frames to stick with, etc... plus, at 6'4", commercial airlines suck big, sweaty donkey balls. If I could never go through that experience again in my life, I would.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Sounds like a lot of discomfort for about minimum wage if you figure how much you are paying yourself by the hour. Rental cars can be very cheap at the airport. If I were you, I'd keep an eagle eye on the airfares.

Also, you don't mention what you are doing for lodging once you get to Denver. I'm assuming that's free, or the airfare wouldn't seem like that much. But if its not, hit Priceline up for a full package deal (air, car, hotel). You can really clean up if you do the whole package. I've gotten the whole deal for the price of car and airfare alone.
Rentals right now are at least $300 for the week. My wife will be staying with a friend of hers, I am going camping and backpacking with a group of friends from an online group who will be there at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive