U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM

20,871 posts, read 21,755,951 times

Advertisements

If you have done this, how long did it take you? I want to go to Colorado this summer and I know it would be cheaper to drive than to fly but I am trying to convince my wife that the drive would be better than flying and then renting a car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM

5,250 posts, read 12,529,676 times
Depends on what kind of car you rent, and how many stops you make, If you take highways, or "back roads". I drove from Maryland to Texas, stopped at a few "touristy" places, The drive took 2.5 days. So figure 2 Hotel stays, at least 2 meals on the road per day unless you bring food with you.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM

2,235 posts, read 3,001,376 times
I've driven the route several times. It takes me about 3 days. But that's just me, I like to take my time. If you needed to get there quick, I think you could do it in less then 2 days. I used to fly everywhere, now I would rather drive with the way airport security is and the cattle car atmosphere in the aircraft. Plus I always seam to get a cold or flu after I fly.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,143,946 times
Depends on how you and the wife can do on the road.. For me in Ct its about 1,900 miles.. I could bust ass, sleep in the car etc and do it by myself in just over two days.. Or push a lil less, stay in hotels and do it in three full days of driving. Prob like 700 miles first day, 800 or so the second and then the 400 or so the third day. Most likely Id stop and see some friends alongvthecway though and I would stretch it to like five days while hanging out and maybe sending a night or two with friends along the way. Two things to keep in mind. Itll bevmore open/ faster going once you get west of the Chicago area and weather ciuld be an issue the cliser you get to Co. this time of year. Tire chains would be good insurance.

Edit. Just saw you said "this summer" no chains needed. Lol.. again. 2 / 5 days depending on pace, tourist stops, andcwhat knd of traveler/ driver the wife and you are. Google YOUR miles wil help you.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,982,637 times
Nothing more than 6hr trips for me. Maybe 8hrs max.
I personally cannot handle any more than that.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM

564 posts, read 1,417,259 times
In the college days I used to go from DC to Arizona, usually took between 1.5 and 2 days, but I was a bit crazier back then. I also went from DC to Dallas once straight through. If you do this be prepared to be extremely tired at the end of your trip. It can put a lot of stress on you driving for that long.

Also build in time for the unexpected - flat tires or other car trouble, bad weather, etc. If you have kids, really think hard about this.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,535,450 times
When I used to drive it from the east, it would take me 2 days. I did the round trip twice a year. But that is driving without stopping to goof off and see the sights in Kansas. In all it was about 24-26 hours of driving.

All depends how much you like being in the car and if there is anything along the way you want to see.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,203,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If you have done this, how long did it take you? I want to go to Colorado this summer and I know it would be cheaper to drive than to fly but I am trying to convince my wife that the drive would be better than flying and then renting a car.
Depends on where you're driving from, and how long you're willing to drive every day.

From NYC to Denver is about 1800 miles. If you wanted to push it really hard, you could do it in two days.

Also, it's highly unlikely that you can drive it cheaper than you could fly. Plan ahead, and you can probably get round trip NYC/Denver flights for about $275 each.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,567,876 times
I've done NYC to Denver twice.

Depending how long you stay, it may be cheaper to drive your own car. If its less than two weeks, I'd fly/rent though.

Its two solid days of driving. I did about 15 hours the first day and 14 the second. I only stopped for gas, food, and sleep, and I don't think I had any sit down meals. If I were to do it more casually, I'd drive to Chicago, stop for the night, see the city a bit, then drive 6-8 hours, crash, and do the rest the 3rd day. Not much else out there... its a reason they're called fly-over states, j/k.

I've taken I80 and I70 (to avoid winter weather). Stretches of Nebraska and Kansas are LONG, and keep mindful of your fuel level. I took a small container of gas with me just in case, since I wasn't sure if I'd have any really big gaps between gas stations (this was before you could find them with the internet) and I have a tendency to tune out when driving long distance.

One car I took spun at about 4000rpms at 75mph and was old and had >130k miles, and the right lane on I80 in NE had these huge ruts from 18 wheelers. Not fun at all when the speed limit was 75 and I was trying to drive 65; my car barely fit in these ruts and was getting bounced back and forth from one rut to the other.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM

20,871 posts, read 21,755,951 times
Its about 1500 miles and I would be driving a Corolla. Flights are about $500 for the 2 of us plus about $200 for a rental car. I can easily get 38mpg which would cost me about $300 in gas and 1 night hotel each way. I can easily do it not sure if my wife would. I like not being tied to airline schedules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive