Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

There are the uniform road sighs, and then there is the willingness of local engineers to use them. In the Mexican state of Oaxaca, there are virtually no road signs. In rural areas, which way to go is often intuitive, and in the cities, you need to roll down your window and ask somebody at every important looking intersection.

In Illinois and North Carolina, it is n early impossible for a stranger to find his way on secondary roads, which are not numbered, only signposted by the name of the road, with no destination pointers. The need for signs is now obviated by electronic location and mapping.

In Canada, of course, picto-signs are essential because of two-language laws, so without pictures, sign would need to say "slippery when wet -- glissant si humide"

Last edited by cebuan; 01-22-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
It is interesting that in Spain they have red octagonal signs that say "STOP".
In Mexico the large red octagonal signs say "ALTO".

In Vancouver BC the blinking green lights were a puzzlement until a local told me they were at pedestrian crossings.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I am not particularly fond of US road signs. Especially the cardinal directions.
How the heck I supposed to know those directions in an unfamiliar city, and when is overcast or night? Not every car has a compass...
Imagine - I am on a highway entering a big city, and the signs says only the cardinal directions and highway numbers. How I supposed to know which hwy to take that bring me to airport area, or convention center or a hotel? Stop and unfold the map? Very inconvenient!
Nowadays most people have GPS that tells them where to go, but how foreign tourists dealt with that, say, 20 years ago??
One has to have pretty good knowledge about American street grid numbering system, where the main streets are and how the city’s compass directionals and numbering system works (and in particular, where the zero points are).
Hearing someone saying: go south three blocks, then turn west for another 5 blocks, then keep going north ... drives me insane!!!

I wonder how many countries use such system...

Old 01-24-2018, 08:46 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
And in Puerto Rico the red octagonal sop signs sat “pare”.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:26 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

In Vancouver BC the blinking green lights were a puzzlement until a local told me they were at pedestrian crossings.
I believe that Spain is in compliance with Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals. Mexico is not. Likewise France is in compliance and uses STOP, but Quebec uses ARRET just to mess with English speakers. LOL.

Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals - Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive