Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
In all my life I have never seen as many people run red lights, as here in the Phoenix area. Combine that with the fact, that I am in an area of the Phoenix metro with thousands of retirees. I am seeing this problem virtually every day I drive here. I'm tired of it and I'm fed up with people that do this. If I had my way everyone of them would get a massive fine, and their driving privledges revoked for one full week. Hopefully that would be enough to wake them up. Since I don't have my way I have to be so careful. That I don't want to drive here period. People have told me that this area had cameras up, but had taken them down at least in many areas. That doesn't surprise me. The area seems to have some personality problems to say the least.
I experienced this when I was in Phoenix too, and it's crazy. People talked about it like they were almost proud of it. I remember stopping for a yellow at a totally reasonable distance. It's not like I slammed on the brakes for a panic stop. The car behind me swerved around me and through the light along with SEVERAL other cars from the other 2 lanes. My friend laughed like "huh huh, yeah you can't do that around here, why didn't you keep going?"

Someone told me they went as far as significantly lengthening the yellow light times, which I noticed were often way longer than I'm used to in Virginia. I don't know if that just exacerbated the problem as people would just get used to the longer times and just take the yellow even less seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
This is probably only me... but I get very annoyed when ppl brake way too early.
It does not take a 1/4 mile to come to a stop from 40mph.
It also occurred to me that some ppl do not understand that when you release the accelerator and even without braking, the car will gradually slow down. There are circumstances where braking is not warranted. Not to mention, you are wearing down your brakes unnecessarily.

If ppl were doing this in a crappy old cars, I get it but these are 90% of the drivers in Northern NJ

Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,989 times
A few that I've noticed a lot recently, for some reason:
1) People that pass in the emergency lane. Usually, they pass on the right side.
2) People that use on-ramp merge lanes to pass. I've even seen people use the emergency lane to the right of the merge lane to pass.
3) People that don't yield to pedestrians, even when the pedestrian has the walk sign. Sometimes I can't even get off of the curb thanks to drivers making turns.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Ok, here's one that I get hit with every day, I'm almost desensitized to it. There's an exit on the interstate here that often gets backed up for half a mile. People wanting to get off, instead of "getting in line" will crawl along in the lane just to the left, and then jump into a gap when one opens. Often sitting at a stop and blocking traffic until they can get into the lane.

But that's only Part 1. Not to be undone, people who really really can't stand waiting will get into the third lane (the left lane) to avoid those stopped people and then right at the exit cross two lanes and wait for a hole to open up. Thereby blocking the last open lane of traffic.

And poor me needs to get to the exit 50 feet beyond that one.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Believe it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Cell phones and texting...even in heavy traffic.

I saw a woman talking on her cell phone sitting cross legged on her car seat in heavy traffic.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
When pulling into a street or arterial, into lane you are coming at him or her in, driver will first look to the RIGHT then to the LEFT. THIS IS RIGHT HAND SIDE TRAFFIC COUNTRY!! Oncoming traffic is coming at YOU, and FAST, from your LEFT hand side!!! Look there first!!!
Well, believe it or not, there are other things out there besides cars, like pedestrians and cyclists on the sidewalk who might be coming from the right. I try to avoid them when I drive.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
A few things I can't stand:

- Someone tailgates me when I'm in the left lane, so I move over to let them pass. What do they do? Keep the same speed or slow down and just stay in my blind spot. Then I'm forced to speed up and pull in front of them again or slow way down and let them pass cause I'm coming up on a slow driver in the right lane.

- Anyone in the left (passing) lane who goes the same speed as the person in the right lane causing a rolling roadblock.

- People who slow WAY down to turn on to a side street. This is one I've noticed a lot lately.

Hmm, it seems most of my problems have to do with people who don't know how step on the pedal on the right

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
There are many but my #1 complaint is lack of turn signals...they install them on vehicles for a reason. I am not a mind reader and would like to know what your next move is going to be so that I can be ready.

My #2 complaint are people that feel the need to pass everyone in a turning lane and then at the last minute try to cut in and then they get mad because you wont let them in. You need to get in line like everyone else and if not I hope you miss your turn.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Sitting at green lights staring into a phone.
Not using signals.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
I experienced this when I was in Phoenix too, and it's crazy. People talked about it like they were almost proud of it. I remember stopping for a yellow at a totally reasonable distance. It's not like I slammed on the brakes for a panic stop. The car behind me swerved around me and through the light along with SEVERAL other cars from the other 2 lanes. My friend laughed like "huh huh, yeah you can't do that around here, why didn't you keep going?"

Someone told me they went as far as significantly lengthening the yellow light times, which I noticed were often way longer than I'm used to in Virginia. I don't know if that just exacerbated the problem as people would just get used to the longer times and just take the yellow even less seriously.

Thank you Scott. I knew it just wasn't me noticing this. Your right many do seem proud of this serious problem. Well then that's when they take time away from their guns, to drive thru the red lights. I have seen the exact same scenario, that you have described when you visited here. I see it so much that I learned the first day here in Phoenix. That when the light turns green. I need to look in all directions for these morons driving thru the red light. Before I drive thru. What makes it even worse here, since most driving is done on wide surface streets. All stops are primarily 4 way intersections. I'm out of here after this year. I wouldn't give 2 cents for this place. They can keep it. I've got some choice words for the place and behavior I see here, but citydata would kick me off of here if I used them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive