U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,829,295 times

Advertisements

If you want to stay with a suv/crossover body style and save money on gas look at the Mazda CX-5 with the skyactive technology. A co-worker bought one, has an hour and 1/2 commute each way. Loves it (the car, not the commute!).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,178,956 times
Not sure how it works in the USA but in Australia Don't bother with a "trade in" as the only winner is the Car Dealership. Better to sell the car privately, pay off your loan and put what ever is left over to buy a different car. I bought a new car in 2011, Mazda 3. I need knee surgery now so I will need to buy an automatic transmission. My car had very low mileage as I usually ride a bicycle to work. Even with low mileage the dealerships trade in values suck. Sold it privately and came out with $4000 more then I would of gotten as a trade in for another car. I've decided that I am going to buy a used car with low mileage still under new car warranty and expect to save thousands $$ then if I buy a brand new car.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 AM

564 posts, read 1,417,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Certified Pre-Own

I say keep it.
Ha, I guess I have never bought a used car nice enough to earn the title!

I don't see what the difference is if the OP is dead set on getting a new car 2 years from now anyway. During that time he's going to have paid the note off one way or the other.

Me personally, I'd keep the current vehicle as long as possible, but that's what I usually do with cars.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM

5,075 posts, read 10,308,000 times
1) Buy the Acura

2) Swap motors with some 19 year old driving a Civic

3) Save gas

I agree with most of the other people that say saving money on gas while spending more on depreciation doesn't make financial sense. Your monthly commuting costs might stay the same, but you'll be spending just as much of not more. Early on in the life of a car loan, the payments rarely build equity - ESPECIALLY if you're putting on 2000+ miles/month.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM

4,229 posts, read 16,891,504 times
If you were looking for something that had better gas mileage and really want a different car I'd look at Acura TSX or Acura ILX. Both are equipped with 4 cylinder engines so gas mileage would be improved.

But, as others have mentioned it would seem foolish to trade your vehicle in and borrow more money for the new car. Just pay off your current car, those things hold there value quite well IMO.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,028,675 times
Let's do some simple math.

100 miles a day x 5 days a week x 48 weeks a year (assuming you don't drive to work 4 weeks out of the year) = 24,000 miles

You probably do more with weekend errands, trips to grandmas, etc. But lets be conservative and say you drive 25,000 miles a year.

25,000 / 22MPG = 1136 gallons of gas. At $3.50 a gallon, that's $3,976 in gas a year.

25,000 / 40MPG = 625 gallons of gas. At $3.50 a gallon, that's $2,187 in gas a year.

So if you get into a car that you can average 40MPG in, you'll save around $1,800 a year in gas. You might even be able to get closer to 45MPG in a Prius, who knows.

You can do the rest of the math to see if it's worth it. IMO, if you want/need a new car, get a Prius and pocket around $2,000 a year in fuel costs, which adds up over 5 years+.

Either way you are going to depreciate the value of your car quickly with these miles. So saving on gas will help offset that expense.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM

5,801 posts, read 6,196,633 times
All Acura & Lexus products require premium fuel as opposed to Honda, Hyundai or Toyota, so keep that in mind as well.

The new 2013 Civic received a rave review from Dan Neil in the weekend's WSJ, as has been the case with numerous other reviewers out there.

If you want a compact, the Civic or Elantra would be tough to beat.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM

19,224 posts, read 33,899,966 times
Agree with others in that you have to consider two things:

a. If keeping the Rav 4 or trading makes any difference in the long run
d. If upgrading to a luxury automobile as you have mentioned would be cheaper

For example, if if does not snow or the roads don't get covered with ice where you live, you can improve mileage by the following: choosing a set of summer tires instead of all-season tires, and by learning how to drive to save fuel (the information is available on the Internet, and in some places you can take a driving class for this).

Also, the 2010 Rav 4 V6 (you didn't say what year yours is) does very well with regular unleaded gasoline, and the motor oil recommended by Toyota for this year is 5W-30, to be replaced every 5,000 miles or 6 months (double-check these numbers). You could use a synthetic oil of this grade, and "sometimes" that helps the motor consume less fuel.

Even here in Alaska, and during the winter months, my wife's Rav 4 V6 uses around 22-24 MPG combined mileage. On the highway alone it goes up between 24-26 MPG. During the summer combined mileage (city/highway) stays around 24 MPG, but on the highway it does at least 28-29 MPG. The V6 motor uses little fuel considering that it produces 270 HP, the vehicle has lost of cargo area, and offers a very comfortable ride at high speed.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,647,684 times
Based on a real quick check of total cost to own, not accounting for the increased maintenance and repair cost:

You'd save 7k over 5 years if you sold your RAV4 for what you owe and bought a 2012 TSX. Add the fact that your ride will be much more comfortable and you have a doubly winning combo.

So as long as you lose less than 7k on your trade you'll be in good shape in long term.

Or not, I just read that you have just two years left on your note, that throws everything off as the calculator assumes a five year payment.

In this case I still think you could come out ahead, but I am too tired to do the math.

Sorry.

But for quality of life get the car, no sense commuting so much in a less than ideal car, just don't do it to save money as that's going to be a marginal amount.

BTW why such a long commute?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 AM

13,522 posts, read 20,613,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Based on a real quick check of total cost to own, not accounting for the increased maintenance and repair cost:

You'd save 7k over 5 years if you sold your RAV4 for what you owe and bought a 2012 TSX. Add the fact that your ride will be much more comfortable and you have a doubly winning combo.

So as long as you lose less than 7k on your trade you'll be in good shape in long term.

I don't know about that ... it doesn't pass the smell test.

You're saying that the amount he owes + operating cost (gas, insurance, maintenance) of the RAV4 will exceed the amount of money he'll have to lay out for the new TSX + operating cost (gas, insurance) over the next 5 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive