U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,950,080 times

Advertisements

Hey Gang,
What's your opinion on the fact that the insurance companies want to sell some of these cars? In my opinion they should all be scrapped to minimize the percentage of flood ravaged cars hitting the market.

This shows quite a few cars on a runway, it's a pretty interesting image.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/04/e...6pLid%3D253171
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 PM

5,994 posts, read 18,079,879 times
The 15k cars shown on that runway are a small percentage of the total number of cars they are looking to auction. They have 230k of them in total. Other than using some of these as parts cars I too think they should scrap them and pull them as far away from the used car market as possible.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM

4,229 posts, read 16,950,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The 15k cars shown on that runway are a small percentage of the total number of cars they are looking to auction. They have 230k of them in total.

I was reading about that too. I'm glad I just bought my car before Hurricane Sandy, however this makes me nervous as a lot of the cars that were declared total losses were newer vehicles. In my experience working as an adjuster for Allstate Insurance, the majority of the cars affected were newer cars 2008 +.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,915 posts, read 71,491,782 times
Ticking time bombs are not only unsafe for the driver and passengers but for other cars on the road when something happens. Too bad there are not many wreckers selling used parts any more since the major manufacturers bought up and shut down most of them a few years ago. That and then the "cash for clunkers." Parting them out would be a far better way to go
if there was a way to get the undamaged parts off and to the market in a cost-effective manner. Short of that, I'd prefer to see them crushed.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM

3,506 posts, read 3,138,669 times
Id love to buy some Sandy ravaged cars...there are some super nice cars out there that are selling for dirt cheap. It all depends on the extent of the flood damage but with a little elbow grease these cars can be DD. My friend submerged his Honda civic with 30k miles on it. He thought he totalled it...he had it towed home, let it dry out for several weeks, changed the fluids, etc..he has over 200K on it now and the only thing he has replaced was the A/C pump. I have no problem buying a flood damaged car granted its not one with all the touch screens and electronic this and that. Will you have to spend money for future repairs? most likely but im ok with that. People submerge Jeeps and such all the time while off roading. I wouldnt buy these in bulk to resell but for a nice car for cheap money I think you cant go wrong if you are willing to put a little into it.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM

5,250 posts, read 12,709,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Id love to buy some Sandy ravaged cars...there are some super nice cars out there that are selling for dirt cheap. It all depends on the extent of the flood damage but with a little elbow grease these cars can be DD. My friend submerged his Honda civic with 30k miles on it. He thought he totalled it...he had it towed home, let it dry out for several weeks, changed the fluids, etc..he has over 200K on it now and the only thing he has replaced was the A/C pump. I have no problem buying a flood damaged car granted its not one with all the touch screens and electronic this and that. Will you have to spend money for future repairs? most likely but im ok with that. People submerge Jeeps and such all the time while off roading. I wouldnt buy these in bulk to resell but for a nice car for cheap money I think you cant go wrong if you are willing to put a little into it.

Fresh water and salt water are two different things, Fresh water "isnt that bad" but salt water will absolutely ravage everything it touches, and being submerged for a few minutes or hours, is a big difference then being submerged for a few days

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

805 posts, read 1,721,913 times
I would not buy one, but I believe in giving the insurance co's the freedom to do as they wish. As long as its all properly recorded. Respect other people property rights..

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

129 posts, read 512,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
In my experience working as an adjuster for Allstate Insurance, the majority of the cars affected were newer cars 2008 +.
Do you still work for Allstate?? I'm an adjuster who volunteered to go out and help with the work for another big insurance company (prefer not to say which one publicly, fell free to PM me and we can talk though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ticking time bombs are not only unsafe for the driver and passengers but for other cars on the road when something happens.
THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
No, no you wouldn't want salt water flooded card. As posted below, salt water an fresh water are two completely different issues. Fresh water (as you mentioned) can be repaired, if the water isn't too high/the extent of the damage in minimal. Salt water is a completely demon. It will eat away at every aspect of your vehicle's electrical system, rust your vehicle from the inside out. As I posted above, I was in NY to help with the situation for the insurance company I work for. People went out to their car's, saw they turned on (even through the carpets inside would be wet) and would drive them. Days later, the air bags were blowing in their faces when they turned on the cars or while they were driving on the streets, sometimes catching on fire, all because of electrical malfunctions due to salt water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Fresh water and salt water are two different things, Fresh water "isnt that bad" but salt water will absolutely ravage everything it touches, and being submerged for a few minutes or hours, is a big difference then being submerged for a few days
THIS!!!

I agree. Though with the OP, sooooo many of the vehicles I totaled out were high line, newer vehicles, with what looks like minimal damage on the outside, still turn on sometimes. But they are huge liabilities to those driving them, and to the others on the road. Unfortunately, some scum dealers will come and buy these car's, fix them so they drive and the dash lights are out, register the car in a state where they can wash the title, and flip it to some unknowing individual who will have a laundry list of problems with the car in the future. So many of these cars are literally scrap. and good for nothing besides scrap.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,188,232 times
Can anyone tell what the yellow car is on the left?

Airport Full Of Sandy-Damaged Cars Photo Gallery - Autoblog

Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM

5,250 posts, read 12,709,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Can anyone tell what the yellow car is on the left?

Airport Full Of Sandy-Damaged Cars Photo Gallery - Autoblog

Looks like a Ferrari 308?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive