Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM

170 posts, read 316,499 times

Advertisements

One of our executives from our company drives a G35. One day we had lunch with him and started talking about cars. He admired all the high end cars but in the end he just said it's a waste of money because you get no "return" financially. Makes sense but this guy lives in a wealthy gated community.

I worked with another company years ago and the executives all had bmw/audi/benz. I guess it depends on what you like since you're able to afford everything anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktop View Post
One of our executives from our company drives a G35. One day we had lunch with him and started talking about cars. He admired all the high end cars but in the end he just said it's a waste of money because you get no "return" financially. Makes sense but this guy lives in a wealthy gated community.

I worked with another company years ago and the executives all had bmw/audi/benz. I guess it depends on what you like since you're able to afford everything anytime.
You don't drive an expensive car for a financial return it's not an investment of that sort. People looking at it that way might be just as happy with a Nissan as an Infiniti. The return is one of driving pleasure and enjoyment, and yes, that doesn't matter to some people. Though I expect the more hours they spend in the car the more they can be made to see an other-than-fiscal return on a higher end car than a Toyota Yaris.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
A lot of rich people do not buy exotics or supercars and they are extremely frugal with their money...but you have to live a little. You can't take your money with you.
At some level wealth can put a target on your back... guys in the same business as my friend, who you claim doesn't live a little, have had bad things happen to them because of their wealth. A nice place in Colorado and a nice home to live in and playing golf routinely are what he considers living a little. Warren Buffet comes to mind as one who lives modestly but does not strike me as unhappy or needing to live a little. I suspect guys like me think living a little is what we would do if in their shoes when we might or might not.... I will never know!

One asked which SUV the wealthy drive, I agree it tends to be the Range Rover, which can vary in price significantly but in North Texas the new design QX56 is showing up a lot... reliable and can pull a big load which driving very car like yet being a solid off road or bad weather vehicle which counts in Tx...

Last edited by Johnhw2; 01-12-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM

161 posts, read 634,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
At some level wealth can put a target on your back... guys in the same business as my friend, who you claim doesn't live a little, have had bad things happen to them because of their wealth. A nice place in Colorado and a nice home to live in and playing golf routinely are what he considers living a little. Warren Buffet comes to mind as one who lives modestly but does not strike me as unhappy or needing to live a little. I suspect guys like me think living a little is what we would do if in their shoes when we might or might not.... I will never know!

One asked which SUV the wealthy drive, I agree it tends to be the Range Rover, which can vary in price significantly but in North Texas the new design QX56 is showing up a lot... reliable and can pull a big load which driving very car like yet being a solid off road or bad weather vehicle which counts in Tx...
What the wealthy are driving - Yahoo! Autos

Says most popular suv for rich is Lexus rx then BMW x5.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There are lots of rich people who don't feel the need to impress you with an expensive car.
and many of them do. but i bet even if the rich guy is driving a honda accord, his wife is driving a lexus.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM

richest guy i know has 4 cars:
2013 mini cooper
2013 kia optima (got whatever upgrades there are)
2010 or so mazda cx-9
1991 (or 90 whatever the first year was) acura nsx

Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM

161 posts, read 634,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
richest guy i know has 4 cars:
2013 mini cooper
2013 kia optima (got whatever upgrades there are)
2010 or so mazda cx-9
1991 (or 90 whatever the first year was) acura nsx
can he afford a Bentley?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
can he afford a Bentley?
he can afford a lot of bentleys. i think he uses the kia mostly for work. he is the owner and doesnt want to look too big time in front of the employees. but generally speaking, he likes accumulating more than spending.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and many of them do. but i bet even if the rich guy is driving a honda accord, his wife is driving a lexus.
My husband drives a Dodge. I drive a VW. If I wanted a Lexus my husband would get me one though....

Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Doctor I know drives a Hyundai Sonata, my girlfriend's step-mom ONLY drives Lexus cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive