Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 AM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgix6 View Post
A mini van will hold more than a pickup. A truck is good for hauling dirt or other dirty stuff.
I agree.

If you want to get a truck then get a truck.

Get one before you get a girlfriend if you haven't got one already.

I lived in the US and recall driving to Lowes to get a barbeque. My friend and I easily slid it behind the front seats through the sliding door, having taken out the two middle chairs and left them in the garage.

Next to us two big guys were struggling to heave something onto the bed of their large pickup, and presumably would have similar issues unloading.

Minivans are not sexy, but they are practical.

Unless you are looking to carry messy stuff kit lots of the time, you're likely to be carrying things like furniture, home furnishings and people which are better suited to being in an enclosed area, not on a flat bed.

Or do what I do here in the UK- get a 150mph station wagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
If your one of those people who when it comes time for home improvement or yard work and only knows how to write a check then you certainly don't need any kind of truck or mini van.

For those of us who like to do it ourselves for almost any project then a pickup truck is certainly a valuable and essential vehicle.

Some seem to think a pickup sits in the yard until you need it but it also gets you to the train station, grocery store, movie and every other place the second car gets you.

You don't want one, don't buy one, but don't laugh at the neighbor who has one and knows the value of owning it.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM

24,483 posts, read 17,220,223 times
You don't need truck to own a house but it is nice to have one. I have a F150 crew cab which is great to haul people, building supplies, mulch, dirt, plants, furniture, firewood, bicycles and my 20' boat. Not all at one time. LOL
My wife has a medium sized SUV and we have hauled alot of stuff in that as well with the seats down. You certainly don't NEED a truck but it is nice to have one. Keep in mind trucks use more gas than most cars and they are more difficult to park. Also it has been easier and safer at times to tie long stuff on the SUV's roof racks then to have it sticking out the bed of my pickup. Don't get anything over the typical half ton F150 or Chevy 1500 unless you are looking to tow alot or start a landscaping business.
Good luck

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
One doesn't especially need a truck for urban home ownership but if you were buying a ranch, then perhaps a pickup truck may be wise ...

Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I could spend some time counting, but it seems that the vast majority of posts say OP doesn't need a truck.

EDIT-While waiting for tea to brew, I counted. Only two people basically said "Yes, OP, get a truck". One said trucks are great for a b c d e f but mine is too pretty to actually do anything trucky with it. Numerous people said they're great but OP does not need one for his purposes. So out of 58 posts, only TWO said OP should buy a truck for his stated purposes.

Two. Is that a bunch? I dunno.
Well, I went back and counted every word typed, and it seems that in terms of sheer verbosity, the pro-buy truck people typed 5,235 words....

...no, I didn't.

Also, did you count the people who were sort of on the fence, obviously very EXCITED about trucks, but didn't implicitly say that the OP MUST buy one? We need to be very scientific about this.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times
lol.

Anyway, I think it is important not to buy a truck because you think you need it. If you find yourself needing to rent/borrow a truck on a regular basis, then it is time to consider one. Unless, of course, you just like driving a truck then by all means.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The bold part answers your questions. Yes. You should have a truck. Home ownership is irrelevant.

Will you buy furniture, appliances, trees, flowers, a lawnmower, or the like? Do you like girls? Do the girls you like ever need to move to a new apartment? Do you go camping? Do you ride a bicycle?

Trucks are incredibly useful vehicles. Most people I know, including me, don't get the truck thing, until they have one. Then they always want one.

However an F-250 is a bit ridiculous unless you are towing things or hauling loads of dirt, rock, or iron. A half ton truck is fine for 96% of homeowners/men.

Of course if you were raised on estrogen laced water (like many young men of today), then you will definitely not want a truck. A truck is a manly thing. Metros are not allowed in trucks.
There you go, buy a truck because somebody else tells you it's manly. No need to think for yourself.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
If you want a truck just get one, no need to justify what you want to any of us.

The right truck can get the same millage as a lot of so called economy cars get for millage.

A 8ft box preferably.
A quad cab gives you plenty of inside storage space also.

Now 4x4 or 4x2?
Does it snow a lot in your area?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Now 4x4 or 4x2?
Does it snow a lot in your area?
I worry less about the snow than the mud. Retirement makes the dirt road out here more bearable but occasionally "when ya' gotta' go, ya' just gotta go."

Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If your one of those people who when it comes time for home improvement or yard work and only knows how to write a check then you certainly don't need any kind of truck or mini van.

For those of us who like to do it ourselves for almost any project then a pickup truck is certainly a valuable and essential vehicle.

Some seem to think a pickup sits in the yard until you need it but it also gets you to the train station, grocery store, movie and every other place the second car gets you.

You don't want one, don't buy one, but don't laugh at the neighbor who has one and knows the value of owning it.
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive