Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Maybe it comes from that there are alot of rebuild places in TX.

Google
I'm guessing it's a regional thing. Probably parts stores in his area that sell better quality reman engines have to compete with someone who sells lower-quality rebuilt engines that come from a vendor who happens to be from Texas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I ahve heard that terms several times when buying or cosiderning a replacement engine. There are various levels of engine offered, factory built (new), custom rebuilt, texas long block, used tested, or used untested. I used ot buy cars at acutions fiarly frequently. The car flippers there used the term a lot. "I will just throw a texas long block in it and sell it to some sucker. I never bought aan acution car needing an engine, I bought cars for family or for friends, butI paid a bit more for decent cars. The flippers bought the junk, put lipstick on it and resold it. I got to know them from hanging out at acutions with them. One guy would sometimes call me if he found a car that was too nice for flipping and he thought i woudl be intersted. I just enjoyed the auctions, so if I found a neat car, I would find someone who wanted it (unless I did) and try to buy it for them.

I learned more about the concept when I looked into it for a van we had. I consider a texas Long Block becuase they were very cheap. There were two very large fatories in Texas that did nothing but rebuild all kinds of engines very qucikly. No testing, just replace pistons, rods, bearings, rings, valves and resurface the heads in an assembly line process. Crank out dozens of rebuilt engines a day. Use the cheapest parts available. 3 month warranty parts only. If I remember correctly, 4 cyl engines stared at around $500 or $700. V8s were around $1200 up to about $2000 depening on the type. They arrived in a wooden crate. The shop I was working with had 8 of them stacked up waiting to be installed (all auction cars for flippers).

This occurred during the 18 years we lived in California, so maybe it is a regional term. Regardless of terminology, you do not want an el cheapo rebuild in your car if you are going to keep it. Those are for flippers, or people who just need to fix a car to get rid of it. I would not do it to flip a car, because to me, it is dishonest.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:57 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I bought my engine from some yard in Charlotte;I'm hoping it didn't come from Texas.

If the dealer hadn't mentioned about changing the alternator and battery,I wouldn't have thought about it.
I can't understand why the engine costed so much for a kia 2007 rondo. It is a dual manuel/automatic engine.
All the places I've checked costed that much. Kia doesn't remanufactor nor make new engines,so I had to get it from a junkyard. Weird though...

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
Let me get this right..You paid over 4k to have a used engine put in your car? I have swapped out several ricer engines in my home garage and it isn't rocket science.if KIA doesn't make or rebuild engines how do people get them fixed.?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I bought my engine from some yard in Charlotte;I'm hoping it didn't come from Texas.

If the dealer hadn't mentioned about changing the alternator and battery,I wouldn't have thought about it.
I can't understand why the engine costed so much for a kia 2007 rondo. It is a dual manuel/automatic engine.
All the places I've checked costed that much. Kia doesn't remanufactor nor make new engines,so I had to get it from a junkyard. Weird though...
It is ok if it came form Texas, just not ok if it came form one of the factories doing cheapo rebuilds. That is pretty cheap. A rebuild engine for my camaro runs $4000.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,040,164 times
Quote:
I got my engine on my kia swapped 2007 swapped at the dealership.
It cost me $4,060,$2400 for the engine and the rest for labor. My question is,isn't the alternator,battery,and spark plugs supposed to be replaced too? The machanic said no,but if I remember correctly he told me a month ago that the battery and alternator do get replaced on all engine changes. The car has about 106,000 original miles but I never had the alternator replaced.
I couldn't find much info on google or yahoo,so that's why I'm asking here.
I'll be the bad guy here...

First of all, how in sam hill did a USED engine cost over $4,000? Following is a link to a used one, with 14,000 miles, for less than $1,500. Most shops charge about $1,000 for the install. Also, that's a lot of money for a car that has a private party value of about $6,500.
Used - 2007 KIA RONDO - ENGINE - Weber Brothers Auto

Second, the things you mentioned are not typically considered part of the engine. Yeah, the plugs will be in a used engine, but the alternator doesn't come with it, and the battery certainly does not.

Since you've already had the engine swapped, the best thing to do is bite the bullet and just drive the vehicle. Get as many miles out of it as you can.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,073 times
Quote:
I got my engine on my kia swapped 2007 swapped at the dealership.
It cost me $4,060,$2400 for the engine and the rest for labor. My question is,isn't the alternator,battery,and spark plugs supposed to be replaced too? The machanic said no,but if I remember correctly he told me a month ago that the battery and alternator do get replaced on all engine changes. The car has about 106,000 original miles but I never had the alternator replaced.
I couldn't find much info on google or yahoo,so that's why I'm asking here.

Its been said that you dont need to replace any of this stuff at all when swapping a new engine in.

If the new engine is the same as the old one....Then the engine is plug and play compatibility.... Everything will bolt right up and it will start. No replacing anything unless it is known that that part is broken..

You get your alternator replaced when your car dies when your driving, otherwise it works. Changing the battery is fine. You change spark plugs when you do a major tune up. Theres almost no point in changing plugs if you arent going to do plug wires also, usually that includes a cap and rotor if your car has a distributor. If your car runs like crap your spark plugs can get fouled in which case you need to change them.

You paid A LOT of money for that engine too BTW. If you came to me and said you had the motor already, Id be able to swap the new motor in probably 6 hours. its that simple if the motor is the same exact one.

hourly rate is around $60 we'll say.... so 6 hours is $360 for labor. But that is a big job and it could take longer, and no offense but you probably know nothing about cars so well add a "dont know nothin" fee of 500. So $860. The engine for a KIA shouldnt be more that $2000 especially when they got it from the junkyard.

Sorry, I dont mean to be mean but thats how it goes when some mechanics see someone that doesnt really know about cars.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Let me get this right..You paid over 4k to have a used engine put in your car? I have swapped out several ricer engines in my home garage and it isn't rocket science.if KIA doesn't make or rebuild engines how do people get them fixed.?
They salvage them. I had the whole engine block out in.

I know nothing about cars,and neither do most of me family.
I will always come on here to ask questions.

The price for labor, i paid higher,I guess ,because dealerships costs more.

I think the engine cost a lot was because its a dual manual and automatic

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I'll be the bad guy here...

First of all, how in sam hill did a USED engine cost over $4,000? Following is a link to a used one, with 14,000 miles, for less than $1,500. Most shops charge about $1,000 for the install. Also, that's a lot of money for a car that has a private party value of about $6,500.
Used - 2007 KIA RONDO - ENGINE - Weber Brothers Auto

Second, the things you mentioned are not typically considered part of the engine. Yeah, the plugs will be in a used engine, but the alternator doesn't come with it, and the battery certainly does not.

Since you've already had the engine swapped, the best thing to do is bite the bullet and just drive the vehicle. Get as many miles out of it as you can.

I wouldn't uave been able to use that one.
I have a 4 cylinder

Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I think the engine cost a lot was because its a dual manual and automatic

Should not make any difference. that is the transmission, not the engine.

Some misinterpreting of the OP in this thread. She did not pay $4K, for the engine, she paid $2,400. That is not outrageous for a new or rebuilt engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive