Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

So my son is putting the heads back on the 1995 Camaro Z28. When he took off the exhaust manifolds all of the bolts broke off. They cannot get the broken bolts out of the manifolds. They tried soaking, heating, all kinds of different tools. They tried drilling them out, but without a drill press, it is not working. Finally we discovered we can replace the manifolds for less than $150. However I bought the Camaro in california, so it has a smog pump. The available replacment manifolds have no smog pump. If we use those, will it mess up the fuel mixtre computer and/or o2 sensor readings?

We considered putting headers on it, but there are none that will simply bolt in. We woudl end up reaplcing most or all of the exhaust system. No desire to run up costs. It is fast enough, just want it to run correctly once again.

Another question, the O2 sensors have quite a bit of carbon built up on them. I was not getting a failure code, but it seems like it might be a good idea to clean them off before putting them back in. Good idea? What to use?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Cleaning O2 sensors does not work. They are cheap enough to replace, as far as you can find with matching harness. DO NOT splice harnesses. Remove O2 sensor and take it to parts store to match. I stay away from Bosch product.
Yes on smog pump. Then reset your computer. Unless it has ECU that is custom tuned for CA smog standard and will throw a fit after SP removal. You may end up plugging a dummy into pump plug, if it has one, I never worked on those. But something that fakes signal to ECU. Go to Camaro forums, bet someone done it.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
I have the smog stuff disconnected on my 98 Mark VIII and the only problem I have is a check engine lite. From what I've heard you can get a chip, or a program to reprogram the computer and if you need to they can eliminate the that smog stuff, or you could get a computer from a non-Cali car and swap that out I guess. All of this can be done providing that you live in a state that doesn't check for these things.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
This would be my concern on a smogged, electronically controlled engine. The smog pump simply pumps air into the exhaust stream, oxygenating it, thus causing a portion of unburned fuel to be burned. This also leads to an excess of oxygen. The ECU of a smogged engine may be tuned differently from that of a non smogged engine in that it is looking for a different O2 sensor signal. Excess oxygen in a non smogged engine means lean mixture. In a smogged engine an excess amount is expected due to the pump. So by deleting the pump without a retune could cause the ECU to interpret the O2 signal as being a “rich” condition and then leaning out the mixture to compensate.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Its against the law to "alter or remove" any emmisions control device on any car driven on the public roads.. I guess it really matters to you right? Its against the law to speed too, does that matter ?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
since you live in california, i would replace the exhaust manifolds and reinstall the air pump. it is illegal to remove the pump, and if emissions inspectors there decide to get antsy, they will require that you replace the pump in order to pass an IM check.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Its against the law to "alter or remove" any emmisions control device on any car driven on the public roads.. I guess it really matters to you right? Its against the law to speed too, does that matter ?
My Camaro has California emissions package, but it no longer lives in California and will probably never visit there again. I doubt it violates Michigan law rto remove California emissions equipment.

Did I mention Z28, 0-60 in 5.7 second; Top end 155.

However the possible need for a retune is a concern. Maybe I can just find a chip to deal with it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
You don't need to go to a lot here. Buy the manifolds without the bung for the smog compressor, delete the smog compressor, get O2 sensor by-pass plugs from Summit Racing. You won't need a custom tune or a chip. You MIGHT have to call Summit for the O2 sensor by-pass plugs as I don't think they list them in the catalog but they do carry them. It simply plugs into the harness and sends a signal to the PCM that the O2 sensor is working and everything is fine. Downside to these are that you can foul a cat converter if the fuel trims get rich. As long as your're taking care of it when it runs bad, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My Camaro has California emissions package, but it no longer lives in California and will probably never visit there again. I doubt it violates Michigan law rto remove California emissions equipment.

Did I mention Z28, 0-60 in 5.7 second; Top end 155.

However the possible need for a retune is a concern. Maybe I can just find a chip to deal with it.
it may not violate michigan law, but it does violate federal law as well as california law(even though you dont have to worry about california law these days).

Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it may not violate michigan law, but it does violate federal law as well as california law(even though you dont have to worry about California law these days).
I agree and as former certified state emissions inspector find it funny how people think they know all about the laws they dont know squat about.People are always trying to make their own race cars and then wonder why they cant drive them on our public roads...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive