Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,786,226 times

Advertisements

I been asked to race 3 times in the last week or so. I'm an old fart now. I imagine everything runs that fast now.
(I'm in a small Georgia town. Racing is a thing, here.)

I got an old car. It does OK. Almost all new cars are as fast as that or faster right (sports cars)? I know, this seems like a self serving question, but, anyways, I got a friend who is also a mechanic who told me I can take a new Mustang. Yeah. Ok. Not from the ET's I'm reading online. (He's an old fart, too.)

I bet their's handles better at 100 MPH, too. Mine's a God!@#$n boat.

Old video. From a few months ago.

Goodbye - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,583,839 times
If your car runs 13.5 you should look out for cars that run 13.4 or better

Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,176,005 times
I have a classic muscle car as well. One thing to note is that while you are at the track, you have no insurance coverage at all, so be safe.

I haven't had mine on the track yet....

Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,313,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I have a classic muscle car as well. One thing to note is that while you are at the track, you have no insurance coverage at all, so be safe.

I haven't had mine on the track yet....

You can get on track insurance here,
hpde insurance, race track insurance, de insurance, track driving school insurance, on track insurance - ontrackinsurance.com

I know they cover for HPDE but they might also cover drag racing.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,785,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I been asked to race 3 times in the last week or so. I'm an old fart now. I imagine everything runs that fast now.
(I'm in a small Georgia town. Racing is a thing, here.)

I got an old car. It does OK. Almost all new cars are as fast as that or faster right (sports cars)? I know, this seems like a self serving question, but, anyways, I got a friend who is also a mechanic who told me I can take a new Mustang. Yeah. Ok. Not from the ET's I'm reading online. (He's an old fart, too.)

I bet their's handles better at 100 MPH, too. Mine's a God!@#$n boat.

Old video. From a few months ago.

Goodbye - YouTube
dragtimes.com

New as in 2013 model year?

Only a few quicker than your Torino is it?(or Montego)

American manufacturered:

Mustang 5.0

Camaro SS

Corvette

I think that is all there is regarding performance.

That video actually showed 13.90 ET at 100mph. I presume you did better that evening.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,176,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You can get on track insurance here,
hpde insurance, race track insurance, de insurance, track driving school insurance, on track insurance - ontrackinsurance.com

I know they cover for HPDE but they might also cover drag racing.
Dang thanks bro! I didn't know this existed!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM

799 posts, read 2,433,348 times
Your friend is wrong.

Id watch out for new v6 Mustangs, to be honest.

I dig the car though. But liking classics doesn't proclude you from understanding that the newer drivetrains are sick.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,750,533 times
I've never raced, but know a lot of guys who do (and I used to own a built 68 stang with a 351). The more you race, the more apparent the weak points in your car will be. Stuff will start to break!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM

9,793 posts, read 11,457,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Your friend is wrong.

Id watch out for new v6 Mustangs, to be honest.

I dig the car though. But liking classics doesn't proclude you from understanding that the newer drivetrains are sick.
Agree^^^

Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,517,334 times
Most street races usually happen on a roll. In that case, it's more about trap speed then it is ET in looking at the competition. In that case, cars that trap around 100 could give you a decent run, especially if it's the typical highway 50mph roll start. In that case, even most modern V6 sedans like Accords could give you a decent run.

Going from a dead stop, you probably have an advantage on the first 1/8th mile or so. You didn't post a slip, but most classic muscle is faster on the bottom half of the track, while modern cars tend to be faster on the top half. Basically, you get out of the hole quicker giving you an advantage at the start while they will reel you in up top.

This is all pretty general stuff, but basically any car that runs in the 13.5 range or traps around 100 can probably give you a decent run depending on the type of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive