Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times

Advertisements

from the BBC- BBC - Autos - Pining for European-only station wagons

"But among the offenders is the Chevrolet Cruze wagon, which was unveiled last year at the Geneva Motor Show and encountered uniform praise in North American automotive press. When forced to answer for its strategy of keeping the car from US showrooms, Chevy indicated to The New York Times that a wagon would potentially pull shoppers away from the hot-selling, more lucrative Equinox crossover."

Oh, maybe that's it, which I have suspected all along.

Anyways, that Cruze wagon, in diesel trim with a 6 speed manual, gets a 56.4 MPG (adjusted for the UK to US gallon) highway. That's better than hybrid MPG. And that Alfa 159, that's Italian! Small wagons can be both fun and practical, my DD is a Volvo V50 T5 AWD which gets decent mileage, moves like a scalded dog, handles snow like a Jeep and is comfortable for long road trips and commuting. I know all you real men like to bumble around in big trucks but seriously, I can carry plenty of 2x4's in my V50. I concede the sheet goods...

As always, drive what makes you happy, but these wagons can be a lot of fun and practical too. And shall we say even sexy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM

156 posts, read 313,233 times
Where are the utes aswell?!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Hey this is nice...

http://stblogs.motortrend.com/files/...ar-623x389.jpg

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
it is but a nice one is around 50K, and a bit hard to actually find.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I would gather the number of people who want them still does not exceed the cost of having them here. Although really, I suppose the cost in some cases shouldn't be too high.

I don't really get that the Cruze wagon would syphon that many buyers from the Equinox. The point of a wagon or 5-door is precisely to suit those who don't want a high crossover. I like the looks of that Cruze wagon actually. I don't want an Equinox. And I'm not suddenly going to consider an Equinox just because the Cruze wagon isn't sold here. Stupid.

But still, I suspect most people in the US aren't beating down the doors for cars like the Cruze wagon. Dunno. There is a little uptick in 5-doors recently, it seems.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
I wouldn't mind buying a TSX wagon, they are pretty nice and not too pricey.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
Subaru makes nice wagons, probably the only wagon id consider, or a VW wagon.

To me, the US just cant make a good reliable car. Dont get me wrong I love chevy but its true. I will never be in the market for a pre owned or new American car.. Except maybe a C5 or newer Vette.

Theres just too many options for cars nowadays its all saturated

Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
The problem is that parallel importing is criminalized. Repeal the Imported Motor Vehicle Safety Compliance Act, a law passed in 1988, and those with the desire to import could import the (left hand drive) wagons from Europe if they so desired and had the wherewithal. There may not be enough demand for an official launch but grey importers can fill what demand there is and make a profit. Back in the 1980s it happened with Mercedes S-Classes that had more powerful engines than could be ordered in the US.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,741 times
Good question, Gnomad.

When I knew my Honda Civic had had it, I started to test drive the crossovers. I really thought the Nissan Rogue looked great, but I was not blown away in the test drive, and then I realized I didn't want a big honkin SUV, either. (Yeah, I know -- it's un-American to not want to big honkin SUV!).

Subaru Forester and a Mazda 3 Touring were my finalists.

Then went to Hyundai to see the redesigned Elantra sedans (when we all thought that the mpg was so fabulous). They rode nicely, but then I saw the Elantra Touring -- the wagon. I think it's a little higher than the Mazda. It's a spiffy looking thing, just the right size for me, not as boring/staid as a sedan. But the market was just not there -- Hyundai discontinued it. Too bad. A lot of interior space in a small footprint.

It's bigger than my Civic, but every time I walk toward it in a parking lot, I'm amazed how shrimpy it looks when it's next to even a small SUV.

(And I still don't know why they call these combo sedan/wagon vehicles "Touring" models.)

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Wagons are losing ground to SUVs and crossovers, even over here.

However there's still a reasonable choice and here are 'What Car?' magazine's favourites at different price bands;

Best Estate Cars on sale today - What Car? Car of the Year Awards 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive