Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times

Advertisements

When buying a new car, do you buy from what's available or are you willing to wait while one is built? My old SUV wasn't ordered, but it did take me two months to find just what I wanted. My wife's 2010 took six months to arrive after the order was placed and my new SUV took five months. I don't mind waiting and think that I'm less likely to get tired of it if I get just what I want. Also, the dealers don't order what may be hard to sell highly-optioned cars for the lot.

Thoughts/experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
If the dealer has the one you want or can get it from another dealer why not just get it. I had to order my truck because no one had one with the colour and the options I wanted and it was fun to wait for it but it didn't take 5-6 months! That is a long time to wait what did you order?? They build em so fast nowadays you can get what you want usually in 5-6 weeks not months. Did your cars come from overseas?
I would have the dealer do a search and if they won't go get it go get it yourself. Don't compromise because you will wish that you did get that extra option.
a 6 month wait! you could be getting into the next model year!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

My wife's Lexus came from Japan. They only build the hybrids there vs. Canada for the gas version. My new ride is a Mercedes built in Alabama. There were production delays allegedly due to supplier shortages. But both are *exactly* what we want and have options not likely to be found in a dealers inventory.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
I know for BMW and Porsche, a number of their enthusiasts don't mind waiting months for a car to be built to their specs but those are pricey premium rides & you'll pay for it out the nose. Nowadays the list of options on Japanese & American cars/cross-overs have given way to pre-set "packages" so it's not even possible to get a certain accessory without others. If you want Navi you probably have to spring for the upgraded audio system. If you want leather seats, you'll have to take the sunroof or 18" wheels. And so on and so on. Also, most ppl don't really plan months ahead to replace their autos.... usually it's because their current ride breaks down. Consequently they don't have the luxury of waiting months.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I ordered my new one when hearing the death rattle on my old truck. When the monthly repairs were like a payment on a new one, I figured why not? I just had to nurse it along until the new one arrived.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
If you're buying new, might as well get exactly what you want, and sometimes, that means ordering your car. You could be waiting a long time for one with the right color and options to show up, and it may never pop up depending on what type of car it is.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
When buying a new car, do you buy from what's available or are you willing to wait while one is built? My old SUV wasn't ordered, but it did take me two months to find just what I wanted. My wife's 2010 took six months to arrive after the order was placed and my new SUV took five months. I don't mind waiting and think that I'm less likely to get tired of it if I get just what I want. Also, the dealers don't order what may be hard to sell highly-optioned cars for the lot.

Thoughts/experiences?
There is no other way to "get exactly what you want" unless you do special order the vehicle or you get really lucky to find it.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,134 times
I have heard in the past, but not sure if it's true these days, that if you ordered a car, there was less chance of negotiation over something on the lot. In other words, for cars otherwise equal, but maybe not the color you like, the car sitting on the lot might be cheaper to buy.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
I have heard in the past, but not sure if it's true these days, that if you ordered a car, there was less chance of negotiation over something on the lot. In other words, for cars otherwise equal, but maybe not the color you like, the car sitting on the lot might be cheaper to buy.
Its absolutely true because the dealer is paying to keep those cars on the lot. Turning the inventory faster makes them money even if they are selling and on the lot car for less than a special order.

So if you are a tightwad like me wheeling and dealing especially at the end of the month for an on the lot car will get you the best deal most of the time.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
You always pay TOP BUCK when you order one....ALWAYS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive