Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 PM

103 posts, read 325,753 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get everyones take on daily driving a classic muscle car. My current car, a 2000 Mazda Millenia s just died on me today. The engine has numerous problems and the cost to fix it greatly out weighs the value of the vehicle. I had set in my mind that I was going to get a 335i coupe but I think I would be repeating my current situation because the Millenia s has know engine problems, and so does the 335i and I'm not really trying have an (almost) worry free experience. I have 2 classic muscle cars in mind are a 1966 chevy nova or a 1969 camaro. I'm planning on buying the restored, by restored I mean new engine and trans, this is what I'm really focusing on instead of paint (I can always paint it later). Now back to my original question is daily driving these car a good idea. Do any of you daily drive a classic car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
if you live in SoCal I would but any place where snow and salt and wintery road conditions are normal then I would Garage it.

But then again $1500-$2000 and you could drive a cheap late 80's-Mid 90's 4x4 jeep Cherokee (XJ) with the almost go forever 4.0 HO I-6 in winter and keep the 69 Camaro for Spring/Summer.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
if you live in SoCal I would but any place where snow and salt and wintery road conditions are normal then I would Garage it.

But then again $1500-$2000 and you could drive a cheap late 80's-Mid 90's 4x4 jeep Cherokee (XJ) with the almost go forever 4.0 HO I-6 in winter and keep the 69 Camaro for Spring/Summer.
I live in South Carolina so no snow ! All we get is a little rain. Do you have a GTO? I ask because of your screen name. My uncle has a classic GTO and pontiac acadian both fully restored, there great cars!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
As long as the car is structurally sound, and doesn't have old failing brakes, lights/wipers that don't work, old wiring, cracked fuel lines, rotted chassis/suspension, loose ball joints, etc....then yes you could drive a classic as a daily driver. If you don't know what you're looking for, you will want to hire a good mechanic who knows what he's looking for and can pin point any problems before you buy.

HOWEVER one issue with driving classic cars daily...you will also have to deal with potential thieves who will see your car stick out like a sore thumb and will attempt to steal it. You can get the club, curb locks, and every alarm known to man installed, but a pro thief can still make off with your ride. A good insurance policy is key here.

Which brings me to my next topic. Most typical insurance companies don't see a '66 Nova or a '69 Camaro as worth much since they're old. You will want an "agreed on value" in writing. Yes there are classic car insurance co's that do realize the value of classics but they often stipulate the classic cannot be used for anything more than driving to a cruise in or in a parade, hence why the rates are low.

FWIW yes sometimes I drive a 25 y/o Regal T type (think "Grand National") as a daily driver which can be considered a classic. (I also have a 69 Nova but it's more of a garage queen)

Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
I live in South Carolina so no snow ! All we get is a little rain. Do you have a GTO? I ask because of your screen name. My uncle has a classic GTO and pontiac acadian both fully restored, there great cars!
I had a 05 LS2 M6 manual tranny but it was wrecked in a pretty serious accident 5-1/2 years ago

Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
As long as the car is structurally sound, and doesn't have old failing brakes, lights/wipers that don't work, old wiring, cracked fuel lines, rotted chassis/suspension, loose ball joints, etc....then yes you could drive a classic as a daily driver. If you don't know what you're looking for, you will want to hire a good mechanic who knows what he's looking for and can pin point any problems before you buy.

HOWEVER one issue with driving classic cars daily...you will also have to deal with potential thieves who will see your car stick out like a sore thumb and will attempt to steal it. You can get the club, curb locks, and every alarm known to man installed, but a pro thief can still make off with your ride. A good insurance policy is key here.

Which brings me to my next topic. Most typical insurance companies don't see a '66 Nova or a '69 Camaro as worth much since they're old. You will want an "agreed on value" in writing. Yes there are classic car insurance co's that do realize the value of classics but they often stipulate the classic cannot be used for anything more than driving to a cruise in or in a parade, hence why the rates are low.

FWIW yes sometimes I drive a 25 y/o Regal T type (think "Grand National") as a daily driver which can be considered a classic. (I also have a 69 Nova but it's more of a garage queen)
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely taking a mechanic with me when I go to potentially buy one of these cars. How much work do you have into your nova!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
How much work do you have into your nova!
It's fully restored.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I drove a 1972 El Camino for 6 years daily, as a shop truck for my business as well as commuting. It had a 350 with 4 barrel, cowl induction hood, and some performance
modifications taking it up to 330 horsepower. For safety, I changed it to front disc brakes,
and redid all of the suspension and steering parts. Doing most of my own work, I probably
spend an average of 2 hours a month keeping it in good shape. With something that old,
unless you do a 100% full restoration with all new parts it is going to need things. Lots of fun though. I sure miss the sound of the oversize dual exhaust, and the smell of unburned raw gas out the tailpipes. I don't miss the gas bills, at 11 mpg.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
None of my cars are classic muscle cars. However they are 43-21 years old and I drive them every day. If you let a car sit too long, it'll fall apart faster than if you do drive it often. It'll especially become a leaker as the seals dry out fron non-use.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
It really depends on if you can afford to be late. I'm not saying they're unreliable, but when you have a 40 plus year old car that had numerous fingers in it there could be teething problems.

I learned my lesson in a different way about daily driving a classic car. I had parts stolen and later the entire car was stolen. The alarm and hidden kill switch made no difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive